So I get my tax rebate when???

Options
Having made a withdrawal from my pension pot last year I knew I would be on Emergency Tax code so would need to reclaim.
So I contacted HMRC to advise and got a lovely patronising letter saying that it it would be 'reviewed in due course'.
On viewing my HMRC account, I will be contacted from June to September to advise overpayment/shortfall.
This is £2,500 that I was sort of counting on - This money, my money could have been earning interest etc. How can HMRC be so slack in sorting this?

Comments

• Dox
    Dox Posts: 3,116 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Plenty of media coverage about this, so 'sort of counting on' was always going to be optimistic.

For 'slack' read 'hopelessly understaffed (and often undertrained)'.
  • p00hsticks
    p00hsticks Posts: 12,920 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    I was under the impression that - if you were confident that you were only going to make a single withdrawal - that there is a form you could have completed at the time and submitted to get the tax returned immediately (or at least within a few weeks).

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/flexibly-accessed-pension-payment-repayment-claim-p55

It may be too late to do this now that the tax year has ended - you may have to wait to be included in the general rebate calculations that happen in summer/autumn
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I would phone., ive always found them more responsive that way.
  • Peelerfart
    Peelerfart Posts: 2,177 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    AnotherJoe wrote: »
    I would phone., ive always found them more responsive that way.

That's my experience too. Email gets fobbed off with stock answers. The staff,once you get through, were quite good to be fair.

That was in my case anyway.
    Space available for rent
  • clivep
    clivep Posts: 579 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    We submitted our P55's for the current tax year online on 9th April. Cheques refunding the tax received 2nd May.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure