Green, ethical, energy issues in the news

Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    michaels wrote: »
    It is almost certain that Nissan will release a 60kwh battery leaf in September.

So I am thinking storage as most people won't need the 60kwh most days. So if we had one we would probably be happy to have it at 30kwh charged starting most days only needing to charge to 60kwh once a week or less for longer trips. So this leaves 30kwh that could be used for storage. Now we know the batteries do degrade over time with charge cycles but this can be limited by avoiding charging to 100% - so lets limit the charging for storage to 50kwh - leaving 20kwh for storage use.

Now lets assume 1m 60kwh cars in the UK (just 5% of the UK fleet) but that at any one time only half of them will be available for storage charge/discharge (the rest are being used or need all the charge for longer journeys) . This still gives a very useful 10gwh of storage on the grid distributed nicely around the country - and the good bit being the batteries and charging inverter are already paid for as part of the car so adding all this storage would be minimal cost leaving a nice rental income for the car owners for their storage.

Does this make sense?

So who pays the battery lease for the car?
    Surely this will reduce the batts life as if you did a high mileage hence higher battery rental/lease cost?
    Would this be allowed under say Renaults T&Cs?
    I'd also wager that there are extremely few suitable/willing households in the UK and with current FIT levels is solar not dead in the water for new installs?
    Why don't we do CHP with our cars at present ;)
    Crikey I mean Edinburgh currently has almost no publically accessible electric chargers hence almost no EVs.
    And, not far out of Edinburgh there are small towns with the odd free rapid charger where friends with EVs don't bother charging at home.

Just a collection of my thoughts of which some will nonsense :)
  • Martyn1981
    Martyn1981 Posts: 14,764 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    jeepjunkie wrote: »
    Surely this will reduce the batts life as if you did a high mileage hence higher battery rental/lease cost?

Assuming you own the batts, then the financial impact of P2G does need to be considered. So would the import savings be enough, if the car is charged on E7 ... perhaps, perhaps not.

If EV owners can sell leccy at market rates during demand peaks and price peaks it may be worth it.

My understanding is that the large EV batts, designed to deliver very large amounts of power (I think the Leaf has an 80kW motor), would see little to no impact on life expectancy from delivering just a couple of kW's for a couple of hours, as they'd barely be ticking over compared to what they can do.

But, I'm mostly guessing, and basing thoughts on comments form off-gridders with huge battery banks who don't consider lots of small charge/discharge cycles as 'proper' cycles when considering life expectancies.

If car batts were to suffer from P2G use, then the economics do shift.
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW). Two A2A units for cleaner heating.

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Here is another one of my daft thoughts...

Rapid charge the EV for free, drive home and sell some leccy to the grid... Sod the PV :)

But then your house might need a good EPC rating to qualify...
  • michaels
    michaels Posts: 28,005 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Martyn1981 wrote: »
    Assuming you own the batts, then the financial impact of P2G does need to be considered. So would the import savings be enough, if the car is charged on E7 ... perhaps, perhaps not.

If EV owners can sell leccy at market rates during demand peaks and price peaks it may be worth it.

My understanding is that the large EV batts, designed to deliver very large amounts of power (I think the Leaf has an 80kW motor), would see little to no impact on life expectancy from delivering just a couple of kW's for a couple of hours, as they'd barely be ticking over compared to what they can do.

But, I'm mostly guessing, and basing thoughts on comments form off-gridders with huge battery banks who don't consider lots of small charge/discharge cycles as 'proper' cycles when considering life expectancies.

If car batts were to suffer from P2G use, then the economics do shift.
    The concensus on speakev forum is that it is using the extremes of the battery storage, full and empty, that leads to degredation. So setting a maximum max charge 5 or 10kwh below the max and only discharging to say 50% required for day to day driving would have negligible impact on longevity.
    I think....
  • lstar337
    lstar337 Posts: 3,441 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Martyn1981 wrote: »
    If nuclear was more flexible, then presumably the grid would treat it like other sources and ask it to dial back as cheaper leccy is available, but of course nuclear needs (and will get) guaranteed supply status.
    Of course if we invested in Thorium molten salt reactor development we wouldn't have that issue. It will increase/decrease its output to follow the load automatically. Plus we could burn up our current stock of waste material from our PWR's and AGR's in the process. We could even charge other countries to burn up their waste too, making extra money from generating.

Thorium reactors would be the perfect accompaniment to RE.
  • ed110220
    ed110220 Posts: 1,475 Forumite
    Options
    lstar337 wrote: »
    Of course if we invested in Thorium molten salt reactor development we wouldn't have that issue. It will increase/decrease its output to follow the load automatically. Plus we could burn up our current stock of waste material from our PWR's and AGR's in the process. We could even charge other countries to burn up their waste too, making extra money from generating.

Thorium reactors would be the perfect accompaniment to RE.

As far as I was aware, the issue with nuclear isn't that it can't modulate to follow the load, but that doing so makes the electricity more expensive as almost all the costs are fixed such as building and decommissioning the plant, maintaining it etc. Unlike a fossil fuel power station in which if you don't generate electricity, you save money on the fuel you don't burn.

So if you've spent a huge amount of money building your nuclear power plant, the last thing you want to do is have it idling away. You have to maximise its output and sell all the electricity you can.

By all means carry on research into thorium reactors, but i don't think we can afford to hold our breath waiting for them, given the decades of promises of something great just round the corner!
    Solar install June 2022, Bath
    4.8 kW array, Growatt SPH5000 inverter, 2x Growatt ML33RTA batteries.
    SSW roof. ~22° pitch, BISF house. 12 x 400W Hyundai panels
  • NigeWick
    NigeWick Posts: 2,715 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    ed110220 wrote: »
    As far as I was aware, the issue with nuclear isn't that it can't modulate to follow the load, but that doing so makes the electricity more expensive as almost all the costs are fixed such as building and decommissioning the plant, maintaining it etc.
    But, the costs aren't fixed as decommissioning and storage of waste go up all the time.

This country could easily be energy independent if we have solar and batteries within every building or local area and utilise our offshore wind, along with further batteries.

I believe when the cost of local solar production and storage is less than the cost of transmission that's just what we will see.
    The mind of the bigot is like the pupil of the eye; the more light you pour upon it, the more it will contract.
    Oliver Wendell Holmes
  • lstar337
    Options
    As far as I was aware, the issue with nuclear isn't that it can't modulate to follow the load, but that doing so makes the electricity more expensive as almost all the costs are fixed such as building and decommissioning the plant, maintaining it etc. Unlike a fossil fuel power station in which if you don't generate electricity, you save money on the fuel you don't burn.
    PWR's and AGR's do not modulate that well due to possible damage to fuel assembly modules. They can swing up to about 30% @ roughly 1%/s, but it isn't really done because fuel assemblies are easily damaged and costly to replace. It is therefore much more cost effective to run at as near a constant output as possible. Running at a near constant output for most of the time also reduces the chance of anything going wrong.

No issue with fuel assemblies in a molten salt reactor design, you just chuck the fuel into the molten salt like coal into a furnace (ok, not quite :rotfl:), but you get the idea.

Decommissioning costs are *assumed to be far lower as there is no huge pressure chamber to get rid of. In fact it is likely that molten salt reactors would be built underground, and simply covered over once the remaining fuel has been pumped out after shutdown.
    So if you've spent a huge amount of money building your nuclear power plant, the last thing you want to do is have it idling away. You have to maximise its output and sell all the electricity you can.
    Certainly initial cost would be high (for a new design etc.), but we could just wait for the Indians/Chinese to do all the hard work for us. :rotfl: Running costs will be considerably lower due to the low pressure design and inherent safety features, and lets not forget the additional revenue from burning up the spent fuel from other countries. That will be big business. I can foresee us paying either India or China to burn up our waste tbh, we have quite a bit of it!
    By all means carry on research into thorium reactors
    I think I have already done more research than anybody who is not building one should have ever done. :rotfl:
    but i don't think we can afford to hold our breath waiting for them, given the decades of promises of something great just round the corner!
    Decades of inaction! You can extol the advantages of a technology til the cows come home, but if nobody builds it, it isn't the technologies fault. Blame the companies creating uranium fuel pellets and assemblies (also the ones building the same old reactors :think:), as they will be the ones suddenly put out of business!

Thorium MSR's show a lot more promise than Fusion reactors, yet there is a lot of time/money going in to them at present. IMHO, by the time they have a sustainable fusion reactor, they will be irrelevant as RE and storage will have solved the worlds energy hunger crisis.

*I say assumed as nobody has decommissioned one yet.
  • lstar337
    Options
    NigeWick wrote: »
    But, the costs aren't fixed as decommissioning and storage of waste go up all the time.
    Same with everything really.
    This country could easily be energy independent if we have solar and batteries within every building or local area and utilise our offshore wind, along with further batteries.
    But at what cost? With current battery inefficiencies and lifespans? And what of the defunct batteries, where do all the non-recyclable parts go? What about super high current industries?
    I believe when the cost of local solar production and storage is less than the cost of transmission that's just what we will see.
    In the domestic properties, it's very likely.
  • ed110220
    ed110220 Posts: 1,475 Forumite
    Options
    By fixed, i meant that they are fixed no matter how much or little the plant is used, so you might as well use it as much as you can, as not using doesn't save you anything significant. Halve the output and have to sell the electricity for twice the price and it's not difficult to see why that would make no sense, unless the plant was unfeasibly cheap.

Think about it - even if there are technical limits to how much a reactor can load follow, it's not difficult to imagine how one achieve the same end simply by dumping the heat it produced as waste rather than using it to make electricity or even just wasting the electricity it did.
    Solar install June 2022, Bath
    4.8 kW array, Growatt SPH5000 inverter, 2x Growatt ML33RTA batteries.
    SSW roof. ~22° pitch, BISF house. 12 x 400W Hyundai panels
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure