New Buying From China (incl AliExpress) guide discussion

Options

Comments

• deckybo
    Options
    I found Ur piece on AE very informative, as I also purchase from the site, several times a week at times, I 2 have also noticed there price increase compared to when I first started purchasing there was some great cheaper quality items to b bought, u can still always get a bargain, just keep checking daily on different stores and prices, keep up the bargain hunting..... 😂
  • deckybo
    Options
    I shop regularly on this site for all sorts of little useless gadgets, as I am a bit of a nerd 🤓 so there u go, anyway I never spend more than 20 euros and never had a problem, I find most of what u buy n shops today are made in China anyway so what's the big deal? 🤔, I have found there cables for phones, tv, pc etc 2 b of very good quality and cheap, u can't fault that. 😂
  • tryin
    tryin Posts: 351 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I made a small order from AE, using the $3 welcome voucher. I got the following message from the seller:

Xia YueFang: dear friend
    for this product,some customers tell us there is some quality problem
    we need to find new supplier
    to ensure your money,we contact you to cancel the order
    could you first choose the reason"other" to cancel the order?
    after we get quality product,we will contact you again to buy,ok?

Should I cancel? Or is it safe to assume he just doesn't want to give me the discount. (If I cancel the order, I assume the voucher won't come back).

And btw, I made a small order of a few items with that voucher, but the payment didn't go through. Then I went to 'my orders', and it let me buy each thing separately - with the voucher discount. A great way to circumvent the minimum spend on these vouchers...
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    tryin wrote: »
    I made a small order from AE, using the $3 welcome voucher. I got the following message from the seller:

Xia YueFang: dear friend
    for this product,some customers tell us there is some quality problem
    we need to find new supplier
    to ensure your money,we contact you to cancel the order
    could you first choose the reason"other" to cancel the order?
    after we get quality product,we will contact you again to buy,ok?

Should I cancel? Or is it safe to assume he just doesn't want to give me the discount. (If I cancel the order, I assume the voucher won't come back).

And btw, I made a small order of a few items with that voucher, but the payment didn't go through. Then I went to 'my orders', and it let me buy each thing separately - with the voucher discount. A great way to circumvent the minimum spend on these vouchers...

Yes cancel the order, you don't want the original order turning up.
  • tryin
    tryin Posts: 351 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    DCFC79 wrote: »
    Yes cancel the order, you don't want the original order turning up.
    Too late. The order has just been shipped. But I still think its more likely he just didn't want me to get the discount.

Either way, I paid 30p for it, so nothing to lose.
  • sillygoose
    sillygoose Posts: 4,794 Forumite
    edited 2 May 2019 at 12:25AM
    Options
    tryin wrote: »
    Too late. The order has just been shipped. But I still think its more likely he just didn't want me to get the discount.

Either way, I paid 30p for it, so nothing to lose.

You are correct. I only get such messages when the seller messed up and sold too cheap or didn't take into account postage.
    Cancelling for 'other' reason may count against you whilst letting the seller off the hook. I never accept it. Either they ship and take the loss or let it run its course and I raise a dispute on failure to deliver once it times out. Never lost one.

I doubt if your item will show up, the seller will have just entered a fake tracking number/tracking for another shipment/a pre-booked but not sent tracking number just to meet Aliexpress requirements. When it never arrives and times out they can blame the post service which is better for them than failure to supply goods listed.
    European for 3 weeks in August, the rest of the year only British and proud.
  • Kernow666
    Kernow666 Posts: 3,480 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    i order buttons for my mum who is a keen crafter , can get 100 buttons for less than £1 delivered
    "If I know I'm going crazy, I must not be insane"
  • Murphybear
    Murphybear Posts: 7,279 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I have bought a lot of earrings from China using Amazon. Many cost 1p plus postage which was tiny as well. They usually take about 3 weeks or so to arrive.

Quality varies from rubbish and straight in the bin (only one pair) to very good. I usually buy drop earrings rather than studs and the hook that goes through your ear is usually silver plated so is safe. I often see the same earrings with dozens of different sellers

This summer I bought a heavy cotton tee shirt with a fun cat print on for less than £5 inc postage. I was very impressed with the quality, very heavy cotton, it should last for ages. The only problem was there are no labels with washing instructions so I used my common sense. I’ve had loads of compliments so consider it a real bargain :D
  • geoff_ss
    geoff_ss Posts: 9 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
     Cheap ceramic knives are mentioned in an MSE article on Ali Express 'buying inspirations', so I thought I'd mention that a tiny ceramic fruit knife has arrived in padded packaging that had been opened & resealed. It had been snapped in half. As the break was inside its solid sheath, I think this was deliberate. Perhaps importing such knives in the post is a problem for customs or a post company?
    Trying to research on www for why someone would want to break a blade, I did come across a reputable article that said cheap ceramic knives may come sharp, but their blades chips more than quality knives. My family would likely to be eating some of those tiny broken blade chips, so I now think it's probably best to stick to brand names & UK sources (& I'm avoiding buying ceramic knives)

• higgers1991
    Options
    Hello, I'm thinking of buying products from Aliexpress but I am just quite concerned about whether there are any safety issues? Im thinking if if any hazardous substances or whether their electronics are dangerous. I was wondering whether these products will comply to UK regulations and follow the law?

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback