Where can I go for a health check?

Options
This may seem an obvious question but I'm looking to get a check of my weight, body fat etc which I believe I can do without a visit to the doctors. I don't really want to go to the doctors as I don't think they will appreciate a visit without being ill.

I'm sure there's a way I can do this by paying a small fee? Someone I know uses a machine at a gym he's at but I'm not with any gyms.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Kat78MFW
    Kat78MFW Posts: 260 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I would think that your practice nurse would be able to do this for you. Or you can buy scales that measure weight, body fat, muscle mass etc. Mine are made by Salter and I don't think they cost more than £30 or £40.
    MFW since March 2019Mortgage-free 30th June 2023 My diary https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/5974849/six-years-and-counting#latest
  • Sharon87
    Sharon87 Posts: 4,011 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    sky_fall wrote: »
    This may seem an obvious question but I'm looking to get a check of my weight, body fat etc which I believe I can do without a visit to the doctors. I don't really want to go to the doctors as I don't think they will appreciate a visit without being ill.

I'm sure there's a way I can do this by paying a small fee? Someone I know uses a machine at a gym he's at but I'm not with any gyms.

Thanks in advance.

Some pharmacies have those machines you pay £1 to use them usually. Or you can get a 'free day pass' for the gym that has them if possible.
  • Kat78MFW
    Kat78MFW Posts: 260 Forumite
    Options
    Have just checked on Amazon - they have come down in price massively since I bought mine. You can get a Salter body analyser bathroom scales for £12.99 now. £30+ gets you a set with Bluetooth so you can sync the results to an app to track over time. Very clever.
    MFW since March 2019Mortgage-free 30th June 2023 My diary https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/5974849/six-years-and-counting#latest
  • BananaRepublic
    BananaRepublic Posts: 2,103 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Are the scales accurate though? A friend had his body fat measured using calipers. It’s a good idea to get it done as weight alone is not a good measure of body fat. I have had check ups as part of the over 50 drive. Doctors are expected to check you every 5 years, so I’ve had blood tests, blood pressure taken, pulse measured etc. But I’ve bought a blood pressure monitor, it’s just like one I saw a doctor use. And a have an Apple Watch that records pulse rate. Blood pressure 120/60, pulse 40 bpm, cholesterol okay.
  • sky_fall
    sky_fall Posts: 15 Forumite
    Options
    Hi all,

Really appreciate the ideas - all worth looking into further.

Much appreciated!
  • suejb2
    suejb2 Posts: 1,918 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Life is like a bath, the longer you are in it the more wrinkly you become.
  • rach_k
    rach_k Posts: 2,236 Forumite
    Options
    Try your local leisure centre if you want to try one of the machines. Ours has one in the entrance.
  • sky_fall
    sky_fall Posts: 15 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks again for the useful tips...Going to a local gym with a free 1 day pass or leisure centre for the day seems to be great for me I think.
  • Carrot007
    Carrot007 Posts: 4,534 Forumite
    Options
    Are the scales accurate though? A friend had his body fat measured using calipers. It’s a good idea to get it done as weight alone is not a good measure of body fat

They measure fat by sending an electric impuse though your body and measureing resistance. This is then compared to your weight and often your age/height that you enter into the machine. They are fairly accurate unless there is something weird about you.
  • sammyjammy
    sammyjammy Posts: 7,389 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Carrot007 wrote: »
    They measure fat by sending an electric impuse though your body and measureing resistance. This is then compared to your weight and often your age/height that you enter into the machine. They are fairly accurate unless there is something weird about you.

I believe the level of hydration in your body impacts how well they work as well.
    "You've been reading SOS when it's just your clock reading 5:05 "
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport