VWFS Accidentally terminated my agreement

Options
Hi, I need some advice. I recently sent a letter to VWFS to voluntary terminate my agreement in August 2018 after I paid 50% of contracted amount. However, they did not read the letter and falsely recorded on my account that a VT Pack had been received. This led to the immediate termination of my agreement. After many compliant and a call to the Financial Ombudsman, VWFS have admitted their mistake and whilst hugely apologetic, they have now told me that they cannot reinstate my agreement. They have explained that I because they cannot re-set up my direct debit without an agreement, I can phone up an pay until I am ready to VT in August. Can somebody explain to me where I stand with this? If VWFS have terminated my account without authorisation and are unable to reinstate, do I have to pay them anything? And how can I VT a car in August if I do not have a agreement to VT? Thanks

Comments

• Nearlyold
    Nearlyold Posts: 2,289 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    They made a mistake in terminating the agreement early and have come up with an ad hoc work around solution so that both of you end up in the situation in August 18 you would have been if the mistake had not been made. Other than it being a bit inconvenient it's not clear why this would not be satisfactory to you. I'm not sure that starting to think along the lines of not paying the remainder of the 50% is going to end well for you.
  • DrEskimo
    DrEskimo Posts: 2,348 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    As above, I'm a bit unsure what the issue is here, notwithstanding the obvious inconvenience of proving that they initially made the mistake? But perhaps I have misunderstood from your post..

Essentially you know you will reach the 50% mark to VT the contract in August, so planned to continue payments until this date, and then arrange for the car to be collected in August and terminate the agreement. Your letter was to outline this strategy to VWFS.

Upon receiving the letter early, they accidentally terminated your contract early, which would have meant taken the car away now and paying the outstanding balance to make it up to the 50% mark. However since they have admitted the mistake, they presumably have left the car with you to use until August, and not asked for the outstanding amount now, but rather to continue the monthly payments until August when you reach the 50% to VT?

So you're in exactly the position you wanted to be in when you sent the letter...?

It's not clear when you sent the letter, but I am unsure why you sent it early? Surely a month prior would have been more than sufficient? Presumably you have also checked to see if you could have sold/traded the car for more than the settlement and pocketed any equity, although I guess a bit of a moot point now that the contract has already been VT..!
  • robber2
    robber2 Posts: 558 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Paperwork makes no difference, you still own them the money !
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure