Proofreading

Options
I want to up my income by doing proofreading in my spare time - does anyone know how I can get started doing this?

I know I'll probably have to complete a course first, that's no problem - I just don't know where to go to start finding work...

Comments

• NewbieMoneySaver**
    Options
    If you find out please give me a shout
    :oCurrent Debt £38,000:o

• geordie_joe
    geordie_joe Posts: 9,112 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    SJ_Jones wrote: »
    I want to up my income by doing proofreading in my spare time - does anyone know how I can get started doing this?

Try contacting publishers, it is them that need proof readers.
    SJ_Jones wrote: »
    I know I'll probably have to complete a course first, that's no problem - I just don't know where to go to start finding work...

I did hear somewhere that most of these courses are useless as you never get any work once you've completed the course.

I would not pay out any money for a course until I know how and where to get the work and that the work was available.
  • OnceBitten
    Options
    I once interviewed somebody who mentioned on his CV that he had passed one of these courses. I asked him if he was earning anything from this as I thought it might be a useful sideline myself. He told me that he had completed the course about 6 months earlier and had not managed to get any commissions at all. I didn't bother after that.
  • Meloramus
    Options
    I work in Publishing and in my company, editors recruit proofreaders by word of mouth, rather than via application. Most people doing these jobs have worked in the industry and then become freelancers.

A course may not be a bad idea if you're serious about getting into this area, but I would choose a recognised training house such as The Publishing Training Centre rather than one of the courses that are advertised in the papers.
  • frivolous_fay
    frivolous_fay Posts: 13,302 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    I left my dreams of working in publishing far behind when I found out how much the pay sucks... /sigh
    My TV is broken! :cry:
    Edit: refunded £515 for TV 1.5 years out of warranty - thank you Sale of Goods Act! :j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure