MONEY MORAL DILEMMA: Should Alan give the laptop back?

Options

Comments

• Gekite
    Gekite Posts: 28 Forumite
    Options
    Dungbeetel wrote: »
    That's arguing about something else - a choice depending on different circs. In this case we have a single dilemma, no other contextual variables given. What is the right thing to do ? Many people are saying 'keep the laptop' based on variables they introduce - poor previous service, an assumption that it's a large store so they assume it can be afforded, whatever. Perhaps some are finding excuses to justify something they know to be morally wrong ?

The choice depending on different circs applies in both situations. We each will be introducing our own variables in both cases regardless, we are only human and will have our own experiences and thoughts to go by, that's why a single dilemma is so difficult to agree upon, as can be seen from the range of responses.

What you have been taught as morally wrong might actually be nothing of the kind, hence the need to discuss and try and find the truth or as appears to be the case insult those that disagree with you, and try and make sure there is no discussion. Might be right eh, where is your so-called morality now! Or is that it? What you say goes!

I'm quite sure that the moral thing is to whip ones slave, children and chattel. Or even that the chattel shouldn't openly speak before their masters. Some would say it is thankful this doesn't apply to many moral codes these days beyond those that still practice biblical literacy - in this country at least. It's still common and a morally accepted practice in a lot of places around the world. But then, I suppose to many on here they'd just be uneducated barbarians or savages. How blind they can be!

I see absolutely nothing wrong with purchasing a laptop at £3.99, whether it was because of error or for some other reason. The morality you are trying to impose on this business transaction doesn't exist other than in you're collective desire. The more interesting question is why people think that because something has a sticker on it saying £399, then that is what must be paid for it! Not even a whiff of a question of whether it was actually worth paying that for it in the first place. I bet I'd pick that £399 up for about £100 -£200, maybe even sub £100, it certainly appears like someone has been doing such a good job of their indoctrination and to such a point that people not only feel compelled to do what is actively determinately to themselves but to do it willingly and with the notion that what they do it for themselves. Such a master piece of self-delusion. Bravo.
  • A.Jones
    A.Jones Posts: 508 Forumite
    Options
    KidMoe wrote: »
    If it's 1p or £100 it's still theft in my eyes. If something is mispriced at a till and I realise it, I correct the mistake regardless of the amount.

So how can you morally use a site like MSE, when there are threads promoting what is, in your eyes, theft?
  • MikeyBoosh
    MikeyBoosh Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    If it's coming from a small business you are effectively taking £390 out of their till. That's a direct loss to the owner, and will hit his/her pocket.

If it's a chain, the £390 could very easily come out of the checkout assistant's or the manager's wages, meaning, even if you do donate the difference to charity it's effectively their money you are giving away. What would you say if your boss said that you had to give £390 to charity because you mistyped something?

I wouldnt do it again!!! How can they take it out of the wages, that is so obviously mr lawyer why are your hands rubbing together territory!! they would discipline them leniently!! I'm sure the small shop owner is doin a lot better than the homeless are!!
  • Gekite
    Gekite Posts: 28 Forumite
    Options
    If it's 1p or £100 it's still theft in my eyes. If something is mispriced at a till and I realise it, I correct the mistake regardless of the amount.

So why pick the MSE boards to hang out? There must be places more to your liking and more in agreement with your philosophy of always paying what is asked of you!

It's been a long time since I paid ticket price on anything at all.
  • MikeyBoosh
    MikeyBoosh Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    Gekite wrote: »
    The choice depending on different circs applies in both situations. We each will be introducing our own variables in both cases regardless, we are only human and will have our own experiences and thoughts to go by, that's why a single dilemma is so difficult to agree upon, as can be seen from the range of responses.

What you have been taught as morally wrong might actually be nothing of the kind, hence the need to discuss and try and find the truth or as appears to be the case insult those that disagree with you, and try and make sure there is no discussion. Might be right eh, where is your so-called morality now! Or is that it? What you say goes!

I'm quite sure that the moral thing is to whip ones slave, children and chattel. Or even that the chattel shouldn't openly speak before their masters. Some would say it is thankful this doesn't apply to many moral codes these days beyond those that still practice biblical literacy - in this country at least. It's still common and a morally accepted practice in a lot of places around the world. But then, I suppose to many on here they'd just be uneducated barbarians or savages. How blind they can be!

I see absolutely nothing wrong with purchasing a laptop at £3.99, whether it was because of error or for some other reason. The morality you are trying to impose on this business transaction doesn't exist other than in you're collective desire. The more interesting question is why people think that because something has a sticker on it saying £399, then that is what must be paid for it! Not even a whiff of a question of whether it was actually worth paying that for it in the first place. I bet I'd pick that £399 up for about £100 -£200, maybe even sub £100, it certainly appears like someone has been doing such a good job of their indoctrination and to such a point that people not only feel compelled to do what is actively determinately to themselves but to do it willingly and with the notion that what they do it for themselves. Such a master piece of self-delusion. Bravo.

AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • situatedness
    Options
    I don't know why the manager said that the computer was legally yours, I suppose that changes the question from a legal to a moral dilemma. I think actually without that admission the computer is NOT yours if you knowingly paid the wrong amount for it.

As for morality I think the world would be a better place if people were honest and thus you should really report the error. The various anti-corporate statements that people have made in order to justify running away with the 'bargain' computer are really irrelevant to the morality of the question, unless you are saying that because corporations are horrible you are morally justified to go in their store and stick stuff down your trousers.

Jonathan
  • boxoffireworks
    Options
    A.Jones wrote: »
    So when I buy something in Tescos that is advertised on the shelf at one price, and scanning at another (lower) price, and I know the scanned price is wrong, then I am committing theft?

In that case, you better inform the police of the Tesco misprices thread on MSE.

Yep, still theft. Although the store would find it difficult to prove, especially if you acted like you didn't know the price was wrong. It would be up to the store to prove that you knew.
  • lifesuckssometimes
    Options
    I would smile:D say thank you, jump:j around a bit and go down the pub drink the remainder of the money saved on the mistake and not get told off by the wife for spending money on beer:beer: :D
    NO!
    MY NAME IS NOT WORZEL
    IM JUST FEELING SLIGHTLY ROUGH TODAY
  • KidMoe
    KidMoe Posts: 38 Forumite
    Options
    Gekite wrote: »
    So why pick the MSE boards to hang out? There must be places more to your liking and more in agreement with your philosophy of always paying what is asked of you!

It's been a long time since I paid ticket price on anything at all.

I can use a site like this because there is a difference between honest money saving and dishonest money saving. Haggling on price and hunting out cheap deals is honest. Taking advantage of another person's blatent mistake is dishonest.
  • A.Jones
    A.Jones Posts: 508 Forumite
    Options
    unless you are saying that because corporations are horrible you are morally justified to go in their store and stick stuff down your trousers.

There is a big difference between paying the price you are asked at a till, and stealing.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure