Hello, need advice about taxes

Options
I started new job 2 months ago, and Im not getting paxed whatsoever.
On first payslip I paid 30% taxes of all gross pay, on next one I got all back resulting in quite large payslip (normal pay + last times taxes returned) and since then Im not getting taxed. Comparing old job payslips with new one everything is same, tax code, taxable pay, national insurance pay etc.

Im sure my documents fine, I both HM Revenue & Customs documents my employer gave to me. Also I did got taxed on first pay and taxes returned on second. I haven`t been jobless long time, only half month.

Im confused what should I do, any help?

Comments

• agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    It's possibly right. Your first month probably used the emergency code on a month 1 basis, while the second one has used a tax code supplied by HMRC that is cumulative. You may pay tax later in the year or you may not, detail is what matters so if you want to understand what's happening you'll need to provide much of what's on your two pay slips.

Did you give your new employer your P45 from the previous one?
  • GTR510
    GTR510 Posts: 6 Forumite
    edited 20 November 2018 at 11:34AM
    Options
    I never got P45 or 46 from previous employer,I did asked them to send it to me, but they appearently didn`t bother, they only send last earned holiday money and thats it. New employer didn`t asked me to bring one as well.

What bothers me that I might get taxed heavy later.

Does my earning effect tax code? As in previous job I was making annual 18k £ and in one I make 25k annual, but it resulted 4,4k in 8 weeks which is 1/5 of my annual pay cuz Im not getting taxed.

What details from 2 payslips U want to know? U meant first 2 payslips I mentioned were taxed and returned?
  • chrisbur
    chrisbur Posts: 4,054 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    GTR510 wrote: »
    I never got P45 or 46 from previous employer,I did asked them to send it to me, but they appearently didn`t bother, they only send last earned holiday money and thats it. New employer didn`t asked me to bring one as well.

What bothers me that I might get taxed heavy later.

Does my earning effect tax code? As in previous job I was making annual 18k £ and in one I make 25k annual, but it resulted 4,4k in 8 weeks which is 1/5 of my annual pay cuz Im not getting taxed.

What details from 2 payslips U want to know? U meant first 2 payslips I mentioned were taxed and returned?

From each payslip give the following details
    Taxable gross
    Tax paid or refunded
    Tax code
    Tax basis (usually follows code may be 1 0 X x week 1 month 1 cumulative non-cumulative or some abbreviation of these eg w1 NC)
    Taxable pay to date
    Tax paid to date
    Week or month number or date of payment
    If showing previous gross
    Previous tax

From last payslip in old job
    Taxable pay to date
    Tax paid to date
  • GTR510
    Options
    I hope this helps. I remember now in previous job first 5 weeks as well I didn`t pay any taxes.

First one:

Taxable gross 539.76
    Tax paid or refunded 107.80
    Tax code 0T /1
    Taxable pay to date 539.76
    Tax paid to date 107.80
    Week 26

Second one:

Taxable gross 539.76
    Tax paid or refunded 107.80- (refunded)
    Tax code 1185L /0
    Taxable pay to date 1,079.52
    Tax paid to date 0
    Week 27

Latest one:

Taxable gross 589.77
    Tax paid or refunded doesn`t display that paid taxes, only national insurance
    Tax code 1185L /0
    Taxable pay to date 4,427.97
    Tax paid to date 0
    Week 33

Previous job last payslip:
    Taxable pay to date 8009.59 (week 25)
    Tax paid to date 461.40
  • Dazed_and_confused
    Options
    Does the £4,427.97 sound correct for the total income in the new job?

You are right to be concerned. For some reason the new employer isn't taking into account the previous job (if they were you'd be eithef getting taxed or getting a refund each week).
  • chrisbur
    Options
    As advised by Dazed and confused your new employer has not taken into account your pay and tax from your old employer. From the figures you have given you are about £520 under taxed. This figure will increase and unless some correction is made you will end the tax year owing almost £2000 in tax.
    I would suggest to start with you speak to your payroll dept. to see why they are using tax code 1185L cumulative with no previous pay and tax figures.
  • GTR510
    Options
    Alright, I contact office and talk about tax code. I was worried I get into trouble for tax evasion or something like that. Thank you very much for help, I update in next weeks to let U know if problem was fixed and Im getting taxed.
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    For some reason the new employer isn't taking into account the previous job...

The OP appears to have given the background in post #3, no P45 from previous employer and no request from the new employer to provide one (so presumably also no request to complete a New Starter Checklist). Two employers operating in dubious (and possibly illegal in the first case) ways have resulted in problems for the OP.
  • GTR510
    Options
    agrinnall wrote: »
    The OP appears to have given the background in post #3, no P45 from previous employer and no request from the new employer to provide one (so presumably also no request to complete a New Starter Checklist). Two employers operating in dubious (and possibly illegal in the first case) ways have resulted in problems for the OP.

Well,true that previous employer did not bother giving me one, I worked for them 4 and half year, Capital Outsourcing Agency, via agency I worked in Sainsburys
    Going trough some paperwork of new job I found there was line asking to provide p45 form if possible, but since I didn`t had it, I paid no attention
    I did fill New Starter Checklist form as well, my new company not rly dubious, its XPO Logistics.
  • chrisbur
    Options
    GTR510 wrote: »
    Well,true that previous employer did not bother giving me one, I worked for them 4 and half year, Capital Outsourcing Agency, via agency I worked in Sainsburys
    Going trough some paperwork of new job I found there was line asking to provide p45 form if possible, but since I didn`t had it, I paid no attention
    I did fill New Starter Checklist form as well, my new company not rly dubious, its XPO Logistics.

Can you remember what you declared on the starter checklist. Was it A B or C.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure