10yr old Welcome Finance secured loan - enforceable?

Options
carrot99
carrot99 Posts: 6 Forumite
About 10 years ago I got into a right financial mess which resulted in my house being reposessed - at the time I had a mortgage and a secured loan with Welcome Finance.
After the house was reposessed I "presumed" there was enough equity in the property to pay off the debts and didn't hear anything since...
Until a few weeks ago when I got a letter from Robinson Way (debt collectors) demanding £32k!

I've been in touch with the mortgage company and they confirmed the sale of the house only covered the debt owing to them - I don't know what to do?

I had a visit today from an "area manager" from Robinson Way - on instinct I denied all knowledge of the debt and Robinson Way are now getting in touch with Welcome Finance to get more info / proof of the debt...

Can they enforce the collection and if so what do I do / what can they do???

I've checked my credit file and there is no CCJ listed - so either Welcome never got a CCJ or it's dissappeared from my file?

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If it's secured on the house, yes, it's still enforceable.

Talk to them about a repayment plan.
  • iolanthe07
    iolanthe07 Posts: 5,493 Forumite
    Options
    AFAIK the 6 year (five in Scotland) statute barred rule does not apply to mortgages and second mortgages. I believe they are not statute barred until 12 years gave passed, so you may need to talk to them and see what they can offer, but take professional advice first.
    I used to think that good grammar is important, but now I know that good wine is importanter.
  • D_M_E
    D_M_E Posts: 3,008 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Zx81 - OP says it was secured on the house, HOWEVER the property got repossessed and all proceeds were used to clear the outstanding mortgage and there was nothing else left to pay anything else.

Presumably the loan would somehow have been removed from the property when it was sold and therefore would have converted to an UNsecured loan at that point?

Don't know if this would apply and don't know the answer to the OP's question but the above might be an avenue worth pursueing, particularly as no acknowledgement or payment has been made for 10+ years?
  • carrot99
    Options
    Thanks for taking the time to read and respond - I appreciate it

After initially panicing and stressing I've realised that even IF it's enforceable - they cannot get blood from a stone... I have no idea how much they would "accept" as a payment plan but I'm not going to overstretch myself again for anyone or anything so they will have to take a low monthly amount and hopefully write some of it off (fingers crossed)
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    carrot99 wrote: »
    Thanks for taking the time to read and respond - I appreciate it

After initially panicing and stressing I've realised that even IF it's enforceable - they cannot get blood from a stone... I have no idea how much they would "accept" as a payment plan but I'm not going to overstretch myself again for anyone or anything so they will have to take a low monthly amount and hopefully write some of it off (fingers crossed)
    That's one approach. But do you own another property now? Or a car? TV? Sofa?

Those could (ultimately) be removed, but only if they take legal action which appears not to have happened yet.
  • D_M_E
    Options
    Could be worth sending them the statute barred letter and see what they come back with.

Example here https://www.nationaldebtline.org/EW/sampleletters/Pages/Time-has-run-out-to-recover-the-debt-%28sole-name%29.aspx
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,888 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 30 May 2018 at 12:46AM
    Options
    The debt, although no longer secured, is enforceable for a period of 12 years since you last made payment to the debt, or acknowledged it in writing.

Also Welcome have gone bust, so they may not be in a position to provide any proof, which would be good for you.

What are your circumstances, are you a homeowner again, have assets of any kind ?

If you have no significant assets, and no hope of ever repaying it, as its a large sum of money, then Robinson way may take a commercial decision and decide not to pursue the matter.

Or, there are other avenues to explore.

How much was the original loan for, more or less than 25k ?

When was your last payment to the debt ?
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • carrot99
    Options
    No I'm not a homeowner anymore and I have no real assets so Robinson Way are going to really struggle to get the money back... If I had it then I would pay it but I don't?

The last payment was in 2008 (10 years ago)

I'll just have to wait and see what they come back with :(

What are the "other avenues" to explore?
  • D_M_E
    Options
    Since Sourcrates - he knows these things better than I do - says it's 12 years for this type of loan and that Welcome have gone bust, try sending the proveit letter instead of or as well as the statute barred letter, available here https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=2607247

Also answer his question about how much the loan was originally for - more or less than £25k?
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,888 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    carrot99 wrote: »
    No I'm not a homeowner anymore and I have no real assets so Robinson Way are going to really struggle to get the money back... If I had it then I would pay it but I don't?

The last payment was in 2008 (10 years ago)

I'll just have to wait and see what they come back with :(

What are the "other avenues" to explore?

If the loan was for less than 25k, it will of been covered by the consumer credit act and you can ask for a copy of your credit agreement, (CCA Request) failure to comply will result in an unenforceable debt.

If over 25k that will not apply.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure