min spend online sane amount not £40+ where?

Options
Chrysalis
Chrysalis Posts: 4,175 Forumite
Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
So all the supermarkets now seem to want to cater to families or rich single people only, £40 min or £25 min with large premium on delivery.

A way round it is to order less often, but means issues getting things like milk when disabled.

Also means a less healthy diet, as then buying things like fresh fruit and salad less often as they dont last 2-4 weeks.

Is there anywhere that delivers For £25 or lower with delivery charge of under £2? Not amazon pantry which is cupboard food only.

Comments

• Bacman
    Bacman Posts: 537 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    It doesn't mean a "less healthy diet" at all; fruit and veg stay fresh in the fridge for a couple of weeks or longer, potatoes about 3 months. Milk has a shelf life of about 1.5 weeks, processed foods for people who don't cook, longer. You can always get long life milk and fruit juices; and most other items last for months anyway.

There are always things to stock up, toilet rolls, cleaning materials, etc which will only go up in price over time anyway.

Best plan is always to shop yourself and not use home delivery; that way you get the best fruit and veg, can spend what you like, and if you're on a budget as you clearly are from your comments then you can go in the evenings when things are reduced - you can often get meat about 1/3 off or bread at about 20p instead of £1 that way - that's shopping smart.
  • MysteryMe
    MysteryMe Posts: 3,054 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If it helps, fresh filtered milk like Cravendale lasts a long time compared to regular fresh milk. You can also freeze fresh milk.
  • warby68
    warby68 Posts: 3,025 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I think Iceland's min is £25 for £2 - £35+ and its free. Never used them though and no idea if its a full enough offering. I think the rest are £40 min. There's also the milk round type grocery service whose name escapes me but I suspect their prices are offputting.

I'm having the same debate with my 84y old mum - trying to get her to let me order her basic groceries to be delivered every month or so. She insists £40 is too much for her on her own. She just can't seem to get her head round less frequent shops and stocking up a bit - she's stuck with a weekly shop idea or nothing.

I think if disability prevents you from shopping it would be worth trying to make the £40 work - there isn't much that couldn't last 2 weeks if it had to and £20 a week isn't a lot . You could perhaps have a weekly fruit & veg box to top up - our local shop does them much cheaper than the likes of Abel & Cole.
  • alanq
    alanq Posts: 4,216 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 9 March 2019 at 10:18AM
    Options
    I suggest that you check out ASDA. Although its minimum delivery is £40 in some areas it is only £25 in others. (Delivery pass always requires £40). The charge for deliveries starts at £1 depending on the time of day and day of the week and area. Currently I am being offered £1 after 6pm for Wednesday 13th. Every day Mon 11th-Thursday 14th 9pm-11pm slots are £1.
  • alanq
    alanq Posts: 4,216 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 9 March 2019 at 10:28AM
    Options
    MysteryMe wrote: »
    If it helps, fresh filtered milk like Cravendale lasts a long time compared to regular fresh milk.

The last time I considered Cravendale its price was much more than "normal" milk and the expiry dates were shorter than for "normal" milk on the adjacent shelf. Its shelf life may be longer but much of that time may already have passed. In a shop one can check the expiry date but having it delivered runs the risk of paying a higher price for a product that expires sooner.
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,631 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Chrysalis wrote: »
    Also means a less healthy diet, as then buying things like fresh fruit and salad less often as they dont last 2-4 weeks.

Frozen and canned fruit and veg is just as healthy (sometimes more so) than fresh. You could eat the fresh stuff first and then have other alternatives for later in the month.
  • calleyw
    calleyw Posts: 9,826 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    You do realise that supermarkets make a loss on internet orders. As they have to run vans, extra staff to pick and staff to drive the vans.
    Hence they don't want people ordering £1 worth of stuff for delivery.

If I remember it was the op who moaned about why could not get some of their shopping after ordering on-line. Could not seem to grasp that the pickers can only pick what is on the shelf at the time of the order pick. Seemed to think that goods should be removed from the shelves just for internet shoppers.

If you run out of a dedicated warehouse then fine. But do you expect someone to check the orders and go on to the shop floor and pick what is low in stock. And hold it back just for internet orders.

Always pro's and con's to everything. I shop in store as I shop in aldi and go once a week takes approx 45 max from home to back again and putting away. And yes some times they run out of items I want. So I pick an alternative or go with out.

Yours

Calley x
    Hope for everything and expect nothing!!!

Good enough is almost always good enough -Prof Barry Schwartz

If it scares you, it might be a good thing to try -Seth Godin
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,631 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    calleyw wrote: »
    You do realise that supermarkets make a loss on internet orders. As they have to run vans, extra staff to pick and staff to drive the vans.
    Hence they don't want people ordering £1 worth of stuff for delivery.

If I remember it was the op who moaned about why could not get some of their shopping after ordering on-line. Could not seem to grasp that the pickers can only pick what is on the shelf at the time of the order pick. Seemed to think that goods should be removed from the shelves just for internet shoppers.

If you run out of a dedicated warehouse then fine. But do you expect someone to check the orders and go on to the shop floor and pick what is low in stock. And hold it back just for internet orders.

Always pro's and con's to everything. I shop in store as I shop in aldi and go once a week takes approx 45 max from home to back again and putting away. And yes some times they run out of items I want. So I pick an alternative or go with out.

Yours

Calley x

IIRC OP has a disability so finds it difficult to shop in person.

Supermarkets are businesses and customer service has become a joke in the large chains. Staff are massively reduced and prices are increased just because they can.

Like you, I shop at Aldi. Without knowing much about OP's disability, it might be better value to get a taxi to Aldi! :D
  • MysteryMe
    Options
    alanq wrote: »
    The last time I considered Cravendale its price was much more than "normal" milk and the expiry dates were shorter than for "normal" milk on the adjacent shelf. Its shelf life may be longer but much of that time may already have passed. In a shop one can check the expiry date but having it delivered runs the risk of paying a higher price for a product that expires sooner.

That's not my experience at all. I only buy filtered milk from various shops, including the own brand versions and I have never seen filtered milk with a BB date earlier than non filtered fresh milk.
  • MysteryMe
    Options
    maman wrote: »
    Frozen and canned fruit and veg is just as healthy (sometimes more so) than fresh. You could eat the fresh stuff first and then have other alternatives for later in the month.

Yes, frozen is fine and freezing techniques have advanced so much over the years that the taste and texture has improved considerably.

Sometimes it is what food it is canned with is that's the issue. Tinned fruit in syrup etc but plenty of healthy options choose.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure