Cherry takes the reins

Options

Comments

• Cherryfudge
    Cherryfudge Posts: 10,197 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited 7 June 2017 at 11:40PM
    Options
    One of those bitty days where the morning was so long ago I'm having to think hard to remember what I did.

Started off at work - the rain overnight was very loud! Home for breakfast and took advantage of a break in the weather to fit in a run before lunch. Running into a cool wind with a smattering of rain is actually not bad at all.

I saw DD briefly too, and tried on my dress for the wedding - amazingly it will now do up! Only just though, so I have taken time to do some fitness-app programming to help me get rid of a bit more of the padding that's been slowly creeping on since DS2 was on the way. Considering he's now an adult, I've had it long enough.

Before tea I braved the rain (proper umbrella and waterproofs weather this afternoon) and did a food shop: some yellow sticker beef for DS, tins to take to Mum's house and ingredients for a really nice recipe kindly passed to me by armchairexpert. I've never had Cuban food before and it's a hit with us.

This evening I met up with my usual group of friends from church including a lady who used to meet with us years ago but couldn't commit the time while her boys were growing up. Lovely to see her again. Then home to tuck the guinea pigs up for the night - the rain is still falling very wetly and the poor piggies have been in their hutch all day. There is an inch of water standing in the milk bottle holder (no, it's not a wire one) and all the plants are looking surprised at this change of fortune. Talking of fortune, work had one of those deliveries of random books and gadgets so I resisted very hard and only put an order in for one item... sort of. I'm quite pleased I completely didn't buy a recipe book: it's quite hefty and very unnecessarily calorific, but the ideas sounded very tempting. Then there was a pack of two books of which I wanted one, so I went on @mazon and found it for 1p. :rotfl: When postage is added on and the remainder of a gift voucher deducted, it comes to £1.99. There was also £3 for some bowls which I might never have bought if they hadn't been presented to me as An Opportunity. They are supposed to hold the right amounts for a portion of different food types. So I've spent a fiver and saved nearly £6, IYSWIM.

I've also treated myself to a running belt for my phone. I felt I've earned it as I haven't rewarded myself for the running I've achieved. The running and the fitness and the sense of achievement have been reward enough, TBH, but still, it's nice to have an accessory :D and this is a useful one.

Tomorrow DH has the day off and we're going to take some bits to Mum's house and come back with other bits.

Spends:
    Household (measuring bowls) £3
    Book £1.99
    Housekeeping £23.46
    Running belt £5.97

MS stuff:
    2 portions of tonight's meal in freezer for another day
    Resisted the traybake book!
    Managed to get the small book I wanted without having its unwanted companion.
    A couple of days ago I trimmed my hair which is a freebie and easy as it's long.
    5 meals' worth of beef for DS at YS prices.
    Going on a diet: savings on nibbles at least today!

Confession time:
    I've lived life so far without that book, that running belt and those bowls and most of the world will live their lifespans without those particular things either so really they are a bit of a luxury.
    Forgot to take my list of things I need at Mum's house so my shopping was guess work.
    Used the tumble dryer to dry my jeans.
    DS turned the heating on... and we left it on...and it's June!
    I think a bit of sunshine is good for frugal living. (Cranky40)
    The sun's been out and I think I’m solar powered (Onebrokelady)

Fashion on the Ration challenge, 2024: Trainers 5 coupons, dress 7 coupons = 12/68
    20.5 coupons used in 2020. 62.5 used in 2021. 94.5 remaining as of 21/3/22
  • Treadingonplaymobil
    Options
    The rain is very boring here, hoping for a less soggy day today!

Well done on resisting the extra book. Little victories!
    Trying to figure out a whole new life. Trying to figure out a whole new budget.
    Divorcing, unclear on final debt total right now, but focusing on building a financial buffer zone.
  • Cherryfudge
    Options
    Well that was a long day, that was. Road trip to Mum's old house (motorway meal on the way, picnic while there), loaded various things we were left in her will and vacuumed the place from top to toe as it hadn't been done in literally a few years (though it had been carpet-sweepered after the vacuum broke).

Back at ours, we've unloaded the van which has to go back to the hire people tomorrow. I think I will have a bit of a sore back after a couple of hundred miles sitting in it but it wasn't bad. Mostly glad the load didn't slide about and get damaged en route.

We have looked at some jobs that need to be completed at the house and made progress with decisions. Didn't take anything to the tip (it's hard to get to and we need a crew to move certain items) but I've identified a few things that can go. Very slowly, we're making more space there, and it's lovely to be rid of the uninhabited feel.

Spends:
    DH bought van hire, some tea, diesel, over counter medicine. I don't know totals.
    Me: meal at services £18.69

Confession time:
    We never planned to eat at services. Dh was intending to go to the chippy for tea, but when we pulled in and I felt the pull of takeaway coffee and hadn't brought a flask, it somehow turned into a meal for two. It was a good choice though as I didn't get car sick from greasy food on the return journey and it made it much easier to stick to my diet later.

Fashion on the Ration challenge, 2024: Trainers 5 coupons, dress 7 coupons = 12/68
  • Cherryfudge
    Options
    Day off, and I voted (attention seeking, no doubt: I want to be partly responsible for the mess) and had a very rainy run. I looked like a drowned rat after a few minutes but the sun came back shortly after and I had fun.

I also had some shopping to do: mostly about finding paint for the outside doors on Mum's old house. I've been working really hard on the diet today, with a couple of walks (shops/vote) as well as my run, and not much to eat until this evening when we went out for dinner (a relative of DH's is in the area).

Spends:
    Stuff for Mum's house (to claim back) £9.25
    Medical £2.00
    Housekeeping £14.26
    Plants £4.00

MS stuff:
    resisted ready made soup and bought ingredients to make myself several helpings for work meals

Confession time:
    I'm sure there was something but it escapes me.
    Ah yes.
    Had a starter as well as a main and I was going to be so good!

• Cherryfudge
    Options
    May's housekeeping: there was a final £18.12 leaking over into June which got spent as 1st: £7.37, 3rd: £11.60 and gave any change to DH to spend on Sunday's meat (we had Bolognese for four and a quick google says that would have been £3.50) so a May overspend of £4.35. :(

Well, we are lucky enough to have that lee-way but I still think we spend a lot on food/cleaning products. Part of that is because I like shopping and part is DH being time/energy poor when it comes to cooking, and yet another part is feeding a lot of family people on Sundays and sometimes during the week - which is good as it gives us time with them, and they with us.

It's time I went back to bed: I woke up and couldn't get back to sleep so I came down about 1/4 to 4 to find DS still up and the election news trickling in. Britain doing what it's so good at: being middle-of-the-road, I think. I don't watch the blow-by-blow reckoning...watching won't change it and sleep makes a big difference to how I face each day.

• hex2
    hex2 Posts: 4,736 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'd be pleased, that's a tiny overspend.
    'If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need' Marcus Tullius Cicero
  • Cherryfudge
    Options
    Aw thanks, hex. :) I suppose I feel a bit guilty that I have a much bigger budget than some people and don't have the self-control to stay within it when there are people going hungry. I used to be hungry between meals because I couldn't afford more food. That was a long time ago but there are people in that situation now... so I feel a bit bad that I'm here with a diary which, while it helps me in that I feel accountable and get to chat to nice people the while, isn't about the sort of hardship others have.

On the other hand, am I perfect? No, I'm a work in progress so this is about me learning and taking control of my finances, or trying to. :)

• Cherryfudge
    Options
    Today: NSD and no run either.

MS stuff:
    Made lots of soup for work meals.
    Being really careful with my food intake until the wedding - maybe why I'm still within food budget!

Confession time:
    I have an order for toiletries ready to give to the person who sends off for them... about £10 worth but they are all things I do normally use and was getting low on.
    Have discovered two new sources of dolls' house bits 7 pieces and I now have possession of my childhood dolls' house and am hoping to do it up. Some of that stuff is nearly as expensive as the RL equivalents!

• Treadingonplaymobil
    Options
    I used to love my old dolls house. My DC are stubbornly disinterested, such disappointments!
    Trying to figure out a whole new life. Trying to figure out a whole new budget.
    Divorcing, unclear on final debt total right now, but focusing on building a financial buffer zone.
  • Cherryfudge
    Options
    My Dad made mine, using a wooden box he had been using as a step. I have the kitchen extension (a cardboard box) somewhere with some dolls furniture in, and the Perspex greenhouse he made but sadly I pulled off the balcony he put round the back so I could get to the rooms more easily.

I have been looking at dolls house wallpapers so I can redecorate, but the little bits and pieces you can buy are so tempting too! I need to try making them myself, it would save money and keep me out of mischief!

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure