PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Christmas 2017 mega index/christmas chat!!!! Yes, it's early I know :)

Options

Comments

• donnajt
    donnajt Posts: 1,085 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Florence_J wrote: »
    Can't offer much advice myself, but wanted to say I am in a similar boat. My contract at work isn't being extended and I will be out of work on the 26th and at this moment in time I don't have anything confirmed lined up.

I am wondering whether I should suggest to my siblings we don't get each other presents this year, or impose a small budget? I just feel bad because I love getting presents for people, and I don't want them to think I don't care.

Hi Florence J - a couple of years back we stopped buying for siblings just bought for kids - it was all a bit ridiculous, we'd basically tell one another what to buy - there was no xmas magic :(, so we decided to do a secret santa and most of us keep it secret, this has been so much fun - we only spend a token amount and its amazing what little treasures you can find

I love buying for people - I did hampers a few years back (spent a lot more than I anticipated) i bought a xmas teatowel, made a xmas print- there are loads you can google and print, cheap frame from wilko, made baileys, peppermint creams, kirstie allsops fudge and chunks of bounty - I'm sure there were other bits but can't what else, oh i bought cheap wine glasses and glittered bottoms
  • Out,_Vile_Jelly
    Options
    Florence_J wrote: »
    Can't offer much advice myself, but wanted to say I am in a similar boat. My contract at work isn't being extended and I will be out of work on the 26th and at this moment in time I don't have anything confirmed lined up.

I am wondering whether I should suggest to my siblings we don't get each other presents this year, or impose a small budget? I just feel bad because I love getting presents for people, and I don't want them to think I don't care.

I would be mortified if someone I cared about was worried about buying me presents whilst in the stressful position of losing their job. I'm sure your siblings will be fine with a year off, or if you're desperate to give, then you could do something cheap and fun like a £5 Secret Santa charity shop challenge.
    They are an EYESORES!!!!
  • Florence_J
    Florence_J Posts: 1,942 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Good ideas people, thank you.

I know many people might not agree with this philosophy, but I've always been of the opinion that since at Christmas you have to buy presents for EVERYONE you know, then really the present budget should be smaller, and I would rather treat people more on their birthday's which is their own special day.

I also need to sort out how my OH and I are going to sort out paying for our respective families. I pay half of his sister's x mas present and birthday present budget (she was born on 27th Dec!) and 1/3 of his parents present budget along with him and his sister, and we've never really worked out what he should contribute to my families presents. To be fair his family consists of his parents and his sister, and I have a mum, dad, stepmum, 5 brothers and sisters, various sibling in laws and 4 nieces and newphews. The presents to my family are from both of us, should I be looking for half the cost back from him? We live nowhere near my family and live very near his, and they have supported us during hard times and have done so much for us, so that is why for me it is not clearly decided how much he should contribute to my families gifts.

Any suggestions?

I know some people might say what's mine is mine and what's his is his, but I love his family and I want my family to feel he feels the same about them.
    Debt Free Stage 1 - Completed 27/08/2020
    Debt Free Stage 2 - Completed 50/181 Payments
  • Snorkypants
    Options
    VfM4meplse wrote: »
    Was looking at GH recommendations and the Favorina (Lidl brand) marzipan stollen bites are on that list. Can I hold out until December, I wonder? I promised myself a single pack of mince pies and no more this year :o

We get these every year and I buy as early as possible and stash them away, we already have our pack for this year hidden in the cupboard of doom. The one year I left it until closer to Christmas to buy, they had sold out and we went without. I never chance it now.
  • Tink_04
    Tink_04 Posts: 1,204 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    On the making cheap hampers topic I do a tea /coffee/ hot choc hamper and buy a cup - some drinks they like and some buiscuts & marshmallows - sometimes I find stuff like a little tea pot or a coaster etc too

It started when my mil used to give us all the fancy stuff she got for Xmas as she would never use it and likes the stuff she buys so we bought stuff she would like!

Children's Ines are good with a cup and hot choc - some treats or fluffy socks and maybe a cheap book or DVD for bedtime!

I don't always put them in a hamper too - sometimes a nice bag of goodies is good too!
    Living the simple life
  • Prinzessilein
    Options
    VfM4meplse wrote: »
    Was looking at GH recommendations and the Favorina (Lidl brand) marzipan stollen bites are on that list. Can I hold out until December, I wonder? I promised myself a single pack of mince pies and no more this year :o

The very best Stollen is, of course, the one baked by my Mum!

But, we ALWAYS book a visit to Lidl for the Favorina Stollen...it is as good a 'bought' Stollen as you will find anywhere....it is always our 'everyday' choice (we get through a LOT of Stollen over the festive season!)
  • Prinzessilein
    Options
    Tink_04 wrote: »
    Children's Ines are good with a cup and hot choc - some treats or fluffy socks and maybe a cheap book or DVD for bedtime!

....and a torch (with batteries!) form the Pound Shop....so they can read under the bedclothes!
  • Islandmaid
    Islandmaid Posts: 6,510 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Hmm Stollen - Marzipan is like Kryptonite to me Bleughhh - one of the only things I genuinely can't stand :( But MIL loves it and raves about Aldi's version of Stollen bites - each to their own x

I have ordered a lightup makeup mirror from Boots as they were on offer for eldest sons GF, and I am very chuffed with an old brass giant walnut shaped nutcracker from EBay for Hubby, who goes through more nutcrackers than nuts :rotfl: hopefully he won't break this one it's gorgeous :D

I am cutting back very much this year, and my adult kids will get a very much paired back Christmas - they are all earning for now, so a few treats but nothing too mad

We are doing our main meal Xmas eve, then a big breakfast Xmas day for all that want - a drink with friends at the pub at lunch time then home for cold cuts, rubbish TV and chocolate :j:j
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!

£300/£130
  • zippychick
    zippychick Posts: 9,364 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    How is everyones festive planning??? I think I will sticky this so it's easy to find

I need to buy a new tree - any ideas???

Zip
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men :cool:
    Norn Iron club member #380

• CharleyYpres
    Options
    zippychick wrote: »
    How is everyones festive planning??? I think I will sticky this so it's easy to find

I need to buy a new tree - any ideas???

Zip

I've never bought from there before, but I saw some beautiful artificial trees in B&Q yesterday. Their Xmas range is really nice!

Festive planning: I'm almost done Xmas shopping. I got into the habit of starting early when I was in uni and reliant on my student loan and small income. This is mine and my husband's first year as a married couple and first year spending Xmas together (we started as a long distance couple so I've always gone home over the festive period), so I'm really excited about this year :j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure