Christmas Cake Marzipan and Royal Icing

Options
Hello! I am a newbie to making my own Christmas Cake! My two children and I had a blast on stir up Sunday making it with the presoaked fruits we had made weeks before. 😋

My question is regarding timings for Marzipan and Icing.

Do I have to put the marzipan on and leave it for a few days before I add the royal icing? Or can I do it all in one go and just pop into air tight tin then store in cool dark place till Christmas day?

Thanks for the help. I definitely need some advice.

:xmastree::xmastree::xmastree::xmastree::xmastree::xmastree::rudolf:

Comments

• LHW99
    LHW99 Posts: 4,220 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I'm not fond of marzipan, but my mum used to put it on after the cakes had had some sherry or similar dripped over, and then ice it a week before Christmas.
  • Murphybear
    Murphybear Posts: 7,279 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    If you have the time/energy then try making your own marzipan. It really is ten times better than any you can buy. I used to think I didn't like marzipan until I made my own
  • kippers
    kippers Posts: 2,057 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Yes you can ice the cake straight after putting the marzipan on....infact ill be doing this in the next few days
  • Beanbag2018
    Options
    Wow. I’ve never even considered that one can make the stuff from scratch. It’s always been one of those things that’s shop bought for us.

Maybe next year. For us it’s a massive achievement to have even made a cake. First time. And with help from my 1 year old and 3 year old. :T:blushing::xmastree::dance:
  • Murphybear
    Murphybear Posts: 7,279 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Wow. I’ve never even considered that one can make the stuff from scratch. It’s always been one of those things that’s shop bought for us.

Maybe next year. For us it’s a massive achievement to have even made a cake. First time. And with help from my 1 year old and 3 year old. :T:blushing::xmastree::dance:

When I was growing up in the 50s everything was homemade (apart from marzipan:rotfl:). My mother was a good plain cook and her cakes, puddings and mince pies were excellent. It was my job as chief helper to errrr help. I chopped the glace cherries and nuts but as I was very fond of both a number made its way into my mouth.

I know there are many excellent ready made products on the market these days but I still think home made is best. Since we retired then it's one thing we have plenty of time for.

I hope your home made cake turns out well, don't forget to feed it with alcohol before it's cut (sorry, never thought, if your small children are going to have some, may be better to forget the alcohol)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure