Repayment to Interest Only

Options

Comments

• ViolaLass
    ViolaLass Posts: 5,764 Forumite
    Options
    Noobie2011 wrote: »
    Not sure I get you with the second charge to IO as I am looking at changing my main Mortgage to IO and not the 2nd charge unless i don't understand your response

The car is on finance and only had it 6/7 months so cannot sell it

How much is your main mortgage?

Can you return the car?
  • Noobie2011
    Options
    By my calculation that's almost £40,000 of unsecured debt - plus £16,500 on a second charge. £1,640 of contracted monthly payments, excluding the mortgage but including the second charge.

With £12,500 on credit cards - that's £550 ish. Even if you could double that it to £1100 it could take you close to two years to pay them off. It's not going to happen in a 'few months'.

Taking an interest-only option at this point is simply moving the deck chairs around - I cannot see it having enough of an impact, only increase the risk.

I can see where you are coming from but I am not looking at clearing all the debt while on Interest Only. Depending on how much that saved me I was looking at being able to clear 2/3 credit cards in a few months and reduce my monthly outgoings by whatever the monthly payments were on them. Then I could either look at going back to a repayment now I had some breathing space or add the CC's monthly savings to what I am saving on IO and plough that into another CC.

I do understand the fact I am using money that was paying off my mortgage to now pay into unsecured debt would not be good but the upside is it is doing it above board and reducing my unsecured debt. If this means over the next say 6 months I am not reducing my mortgage then so be it as I am looking at the longer terms plan which helps me avoid defaulting on any payments which could result in mt losing the house
  • Noobie2011
    Options
    ViolaLass wrote: »
    How much is your main mortgage?

Can you return the car?

My main Mortgage started at around 111k and my monthly payment is £720.

As far as I am aware I cannot give the car back until I have paid half of it off
  • maninthestreet
    Options
    I think you need to post your SOA on the DFW board for further advice.
    "You were only supposed to blow the bl**dy doors off!!"
  • ViolaLass
    ViolaLass Posts: 5,764 Forumite
    Options
    Noobie2011 wrote: »
    My main Mortgage started at around 111k and my monthly payment is £720.

6%?

If so, interest only would save you £165 a month (minus the fee and any fees for changing back).
  • Noobie2011
    Options
    ViolaLass wrote: »
    6%?

If so, interest only would save you £165 a month (minus the fee and any fees for changing back).

That would be about right.

I have manged to negotiate a payment break on another debt for 3 months which has released over £200 a month so that will allow me to use that towards the best debt to reduce and increase monthly savings.
  • WellKnownSid
    Options
    I think you need to post your SOA on the DFW board for further advice.

Can't repeat this strongly enough. The DFW board is full of people who have been in your situation who will be able to offer a fresh set of eyes to your 'challenge' without judgement.

You have a mountain to climb, and it is admirable that you are clearly wanting to take responsibility for all of the debt - but in so doing you may / might / could jeopardise your home because of it. Not because you want to or you intend to - but because anything unplanned that happens in the next 5 years will wipe you out long before you get the debt down to a manageable level. Going IO for a few months is not going to buy you a whole heap of breathing space, and as I say may even reduce your options.

I strongly recommend a full SOA to DFW... not saying it lightly.
  • andys15
    andys15 Posts: 1,102 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I think I would be selling the car and the sofa. You must have been in the pickle back in December when you spent over £2.5 k on the sofa. If you could get £1200 for it, that's the barclaycard gone. I don't know what car you have, but looking at the loan, say that's worth £5k. That could be another £5k of the credit cards. Gives you a lot more money to throw at the other cards. Min payment on credit cards is a waste of time, it won't get you anywhere. I got a cheap car a few years back from eBay and ended up selling it for the same price 2 years later. Older cars are not the rust buckets they use to be. Get one with 12 months Mot and it should do well. You need to get money at those credit cards. Going interest only as someone has pointed out, will hardly scratch the surface.
    Debt free. March 2020
    Mortgage free-August 2021
    Planned retirement date- 19/5/2026
    £29500 saved. Target £420000(19/05/2026)
  • Noobie2011
    Options
    Can't repeat this strongly enough. The DFW board is full of people who have been in your situation who will be able to offer a fresh set of eyes to your 'challenge' without judgement.

You have a mountain to climb, and it is admirable that you are clearly wanting to take responsibility for all of the debt - but in so doing you may / might / could jeopardise your home because of it. Not because you want to or you intend to - but because anything unplanned that happens in the next 5 years will wipe you out long before you get the debt down to a manageable level. Going IO for a few months is not going to buy you a whole heap of breathing space, and as I say may even reduce your options.

I strongly recommend a full SOA to DFW... not saying it lightly.

Thank you for the advice and I know I cannot make strides into the debt straight away but I have learned recently that even saving a few quid here and there all adds up.

I will look at doing an SOA as I am sure I may get some good advice but the 1st thing I did was cut loose all my non essential bills and am only left with things like utility bills, insurance etc which I have also negotiated to the lowest level possible.
  • Noobie2011
    Options
    andys15 wrote: »
    I think I would be selling the car and the sofa. You must have been in the pickle back in December when you spent over £2.5 k on the sofa. If you could get £1200 for it, that's the barclaycard gone. I don't know what car you have, but looking at the loan, say that's worth £5k. That could be another £5k of the credit cards. Gives you a lot more money to throw at the other cards. Min payment on credit cards is a waste of time, it won't get you anywhere. I got a cheap car a few years back from eBay and ended up selling it for the same price 2 years later. Older cars are not the rust buckets they use to be. Get one with 12 months Mot and it should do well. You need to get money at those credit cards. Going interest only as someone has pointed out, will hardly scratch the surface.

I am where I am and getting the sofas and car was not a good idea if everything we did was good idea then none of us would be in a mess in the 1st place. I accept where I am and that it is all my fault and need to sort it. Selling my car is not an option as I am on finance and returning is not possible either as far as I have been told. I have been selling quite a few things to pay off debts etc so have looked into selling a couch but what I could get I don't know.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure