New Year, New start

Options
So I am currently on a DMP with Stepchange and paying an amount each month and have a debt free date of 2035, , , , my question is if I contact each of the companies I owe on my list and agree settlement offers and set up payment plan with them separately and manage to clear the debt quicker, so in effect paying them more than they are currently getting, will this affect my credit score / rating in a negative way??

I currently have a credit score / rating which suprisingly is in the Fair section - the goal is to get that into the Good and clear the debt in the best way I can, ideally the quickest way - I just feel the current situation with my DMP is just keeping my head above water but I dont want to be doing this each month for the next 15 years

Any help / advice / answer to my question at all will be so appreciated

Comments

• sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,879 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 13 December 2019 at 11:39AM
    Options
    Hi,

Your goal is slightly flawed unfortunatly, your credit score is not seen by anyone except you, and it is not used in lending decisions, so its a pointless number really, it has a marginal relationship to how you service your credit accounts, but should not be taken as an indication of your credit worthyness.

I does not matter how you repay your debts, if an account defaults, it defaults, regardless of how long your repayment method may take, anything less than the full contracted payment will attract either arrangement to pay markers or defaults, at the creditor discretion.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • June2019
    Options
    Many thanks for the reply

Surely getting a decent credit score can only be a good thing if it can be done right?

Take for example wanting to rent a property - and if I had a good credit score that would mean I wouldn't fail a credit check??
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,879 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 13 December 2019 at 5:31PM
    Options
    June2019 wrote: »
    my question is if I contact each of the companies I owe on my list and agree settlement offers and set up payment plan with them separately and manage to clear the debt quicker, so in effect paying them more than they are currently getting, will this affect my credit score / rating in a negative way??
    The answer to your question is no.

One has no effect whatsoever on the other, as i said, you either pay the original contracted repayment, or you don`t.

Anything other than the full contracted repayment will cause your account to either be marked as "arrangement to pay" or the account will default, any kind of debt mangement will have similar results.

If you want to preserve your credit record, you must pay the full contracted repayment, or more, every month when requested, anything else will result in one of the above.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure