New Employment

Options
Hi All

I have had a job offer closer to home doing the same Job as EC&I tech, I love the where I am now just its far from home and no career progression really

Pros : Less Travel Home by 30mins each way, less miles a month ( 500miles ), career progression they want to put me though a degree to become EC&I Engineer, no weekend work ( only if I want )

Neg : Is that I will be on a less salary around £2000 less for the year

Just want to know what your thoughts are not sure what to do

Thanks

James

Comments

• TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,486 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    Even with 50 mpg you will be saving close to 10 gallons of fuel per month which is around £600 in the year. Reduced wear and tear on your car. Additional gross salary of £2k actually gives you around £1400 per year nett, so you aren't far short of half that figure just in fuel saving.
    Career prospects seem much better assuming they stick with their promise, and you have a shorter working day and free weekends.
    For me it would seem a simple choice based on the information provided.
  • AstroTurtle
    AstroTurtle Posts: 290 Forumite
    Options
    TELLIT01 wrote: »
    Even with 50 mpg you will be saving close to 10 gallons of fuel per month which is around £600 in the year. Reduced wear and tear on your car. Additional gross salary of £2k actually gives you around £1400 per year nett, so you aren't far short of half that figure just in fuel saving.
    Career prospects seem much better assuming they stick with their promise, and you have a shorter working day and free weekends.
    For me it would seem a simple choice based on the information provided.

Majorly agree with Tellit, I took a pay decrease for a shorter commute but i have more dispoasble cash.

6,000 miles less a year is one less minor service interval, Tyres will last long. Less fuel etc.

But a big one is you'll have an extra hour a day thats not in a car or at work. Thats invaluable. Extra 240 hours per year or 6.8 weeks less at work.
    Save £12k in 2019 -
  • Fireflyaway
    Fireflyaway Posts: 2,766 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I'd take the new one. You will probably save enough money on petrol and extra time is always precious. If it's benefiting your long term prospects too then that's great.
  • pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    You've said nothing about the company and its people. what are your feelings on them? I've an impression something's holding you back.
  • James1294
    Options
    The only thing thats holding me back is the money, im only 24 years of age! I assume career progression is hetter at this age and the money will come with it? Am i right in saying that? I have a site visit on monday its kronospan in Wrexham they have 600 employees at the site so preety big company
  • James1294
    Options
    pmduk wrote: »
    You've said nothing about the company and its people. what are your feelings on them? I've an impression something's holding you back.
    The only thing thats holding me back is the money, im only 24 years of age! I assume career progression is hetter at this age and the money will come with it? Am i right in saying that? I have a site visit on monday its kronospan in Wrexham they have 600 employees at the site so preety big company
  • campbell19925
    campbell19925 Posts: 203 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    James1294 wrote: »

Career progression over money any day. If you're stuck in a job with no progression its going to eat away at you eventually and you'd wish you could try something new.

I had a very easy sales job earning 2k+ comms each month but was offered another job doing something completely different with no guarantee of commission beyond a 3month guarantee period - but with the promise of progression after this 3 month period.

I'm now starting to do a 1 day a week training day to be an advisor which is a double in salary for me :beer:

I suppose each scenario is different but I would take a change in career unless your old company is prepared to match what theyre offering !
  • AstroTurtle
    AstroTurtle Posts: 290 Forumite
    Options
    James1294 wrote: »

£2,000 less is only around £114 per month less after tax.

You'll save that in fuel each month.

Less money is more money in this situation.

It's better to have £1,500 per month with 200 in fuel than to have £1600 per month with £350 in fuel.
    Save £12k in 2019 -
  • Kynthia
    Kynthia Posts: 5,668 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    As others have said, the reduction in your payslip each month will be less than you think once you factir in the tax, NI, and pension contributions deducted. £2k a year isn't that great a difference.

Then factor in less petrol, less travel time, free education and better prospects then to me it's a no brainer if it's only the money that's holding you back.
    Don't listen to me, I'm no expert!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport