PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Organising a linen cupboard

Options
A while back in order to give us some additional space to store towels and bedding, a cupboard was built over our stairs with the door on the landing.

Though we now have a large enough space to put our items, organising it is another matter. There are only 2 shelves, both have good height and are deep, but not that wide (due to the head space needed when walking upstairs). I went through our bedding and marked whether they were single, double or kingsize, but then everything is just laid on top of each other and unless you remember which colour is what size, I'm needing to take everything out to look.

I could do with organising this, somehow, but am a bit stuck for ideas on how to go about it. Any help is appreciated.

Comments

• PollyWollyDoodle
    Options
    Pack sets of bedding together in one pillowcase - fold up the duvet cover, sheet and the other pillowcase(s) and stuff them inside. This really works as you just need to pull one item out and everything you need to make up a bed is there.
    Life is mainly froth and bubble: two things stand like stone. Kindness in another’s trouble, courage in your own.
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,168 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Pack sets of bedding together in one pillowcase - fold up the duvet cover, sheet and the other pillowcase(s) and stuff them inside. This really works as you just need to pull one item out and everything you need to make up a bed is there.
    Oh ok, we already do this with the duvet and additional pillow cases into one pillow case. I'd never thought about adding the fitted sheet. :doh:
  • pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,394 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Don't you end up with horribly creased duvets covers?

Buy clear plastic boxes to stack.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,168 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 12 July 2019 at 9:33AM
    Options
    pollypenny wrote: »

Buy clear plastic boxes to stack.
    No, the duvet cover is already laundered and folded, it doesn't crease it by putting it in a pillow case. Not sure why it might??

The problem with clear plastic stackable boxes is I would then have to take each out if the item/s I wanted were in the bottom box.
  • Owain_Moneysaver
    Owain_Moneysaver Posts: 11,360 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    pull-out baskets
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • wort
    wort Posts: 1,676 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    You could use Marie Kondo folding method, either straight onto shelf or use plastic box then just pull out the box and select the sheets you need as they are vertical you can see the top of each. Also when you pull them out they don't disrupt the other sheets. If you aren't familiar with the method there are videos on YouTube.
    Focus on contribution instead of the impressiveness of consumption to see the true beauty in people.
  • PollyWollyDoodle
    Options
    pollypenny wrote: »

Shocking revelation - I don't iron my bedding. Ever.
    Life is mainly froth and bubble: two things stand like stone. Kindness in another’s trouble, courage in your own.
  • Gers
    Gers Posts: 12,073 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Shocking revelation - I don't iron my bedding. Ever.

Me neither - don't iron anything. Hang the bed linen properly and it's fine. The idea of spending half an hour ironing duvet cover, sheet and pillowcases smooth which are then get creased in five minutes of use is pointless. :j
  • tealady
    tealady Posts: 3,749 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Gers wrote: »
    Me neither - don't iron anything. Hang the bed linen properly and it's fine. The idea of spending half an hour ironing duvet cover, sheet and pillowcases smooth which are then get creased in five minutes of use is pointless. :j

Same here.
    Life is too short. ;)
    Find out who you are and do that on purpose (thanks to Owain Wyn Jones quoting Dolly Parton)
  • Owain_Moneysaver
    Owain_Moneysaver Posts: 11,360 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Gers wrote: »

But it feels so much nicer when freshly ironed, especially the pillowcases.

And it really does not take half an hour to wave an iron over a set of bedlinen.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure