PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The meal prepping thread

Options

Comments

• joedenise
    joedenise Posts: 16,560 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Great thread! I love meal prepping.

I managed to make 4 lamb hotpots earlier in the month from a large joint we had for a roast, we're having one for Dinner tonight. Last week I made 25 dump bags (5 x 5 recipes) to be used in the slow cooker. I had a £8 off a £40 shop voucher and managed to get most of what I needed for £32.

Going to do a freezer inventory later this week and plan for the next few months :)

The dump bags sound good. What did you prep?

Denise
  • Tink_04
    Tink_04 Posts: 1,204 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Sounds like a great idea! I love to meal prep but always get a bit sidetracked!

Loving the dump bags idea too!

Tink
    Living the simple life
  • jbkmum
    jbkmum Posts: 293 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Subscribing, as per Dan's fantastic recommendation in my thread, going to start to plan tonight for next month. I'm moving house soon and need to make sure I organise our fridge and freezer when we move into the house! I think I'll be asking you lot for some advice....on how to use multiple plaice fillets lol
    £5000 left to pay on credit cards, down from 40k!!
  • dan958
    dan958 Posts: 770 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Good to have you here. Ask any questions you need!

I like to try and break out my slow cooker every week. I plan on making a taco bowl this weekend; https://www.budgetbytes.com/taco-chicken-bowls/ extremely easy, and looks lovely!
  • Getmeouttadebt
    Options
    Oh I've just discovered this thread! I do batch cook and now with a bit of time off I will prepare and freeze new meals... great discovery and thanks everyone for your suggestions!
  • jbkmum
    Options
    I'm just trying to work out how many meals to plan for 7 days for the two of us? I actually had a gastric sleeve so I have half a childs portion. If I cook a meal that serves 4, I'll assume that is 3 days worth of food. 3 Portions for DS and then I can split mine out over 3 days.

So thinking about it, If I cook 3 meals a week - then we have enough for the week plus leftovers to freeze.

I'm going to have to get used to not buying lots of food!
  • dan958
    edited 3 July 2019 at 1:46PM
    Options
    I always found portioning difficult if I was not putting the food right into a container rather than onto a plate.

Instead, I got a bunch of meal-prep containers that have 3 compartments each (one larger for the protein, and 2 smaller ones for like rice and vegetables)- makes it very easy to portion out.

It is also quite common to have 3 days worth of food in the fridge, and freeze the rest.
  • dan958
    Options
    I was going to make this a while back, but only got around to making it last night; https://www.budgetbytes.com/taco-chicken-bowls/

I'm going to mix it with a bunch of rice and put it into some wraps to make some burritos and store a bunch in the freezer.
  • jbkmum
    Options
    Okay so....in 4 weeks time I move into my new house with my son. I'm going to have an under counter fridge and same for freezer. I won't be taking my full size fridge, don't see the point for two of us. I can either take a tall freezer with me or a small chest freezer. What do you think I should do? I have room in a tiny utility room for one of those. I'll be able to freeze stuff basically. I also need to make a list of 5 meals to prep. I have failed before because I try to make TOO many things. I've got a fussy child but he loves risotto so I'm going down the rice route
  • pavlovs_dog
    pavlovs_dog Posts: 10,199 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    that taco chicken recipe looks lovely!
    know thyself
    Nid wy'n gofyn bywyd moethus...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing