conveyancing bill

Options
Sale of my property and my intended purchase fell through due to my bungling Estate Agents. I was close to exchange on my flat but had not commenced any searches or anything on the house I intended to purchase. The solicitor has slapped me with a bill for £1730, saying she had done in fact carried out £2600 worth of work. Needless to say, I am reeling from the shock from the high bill. I cannot understand the invoices, which seems to be made up of pages and pages of an itemised bill showing that she charged me 20 quid every time she posted a letter. I have only got a one bed flat and using limited funds towards move. This is going to spoil it all for me. Someone please help me know my rights!

Comments

• hcb42
    hcb42 Posts: 5,962 Forumite
    Options
    What was your original quote? This seems ridiculous.
  • Fire_Fox
    Fire_Fox Posts: 26,026 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
  • Wywth
    Wywth Posts: 5,079 Forumite
    Options
    Fire_Fox wrote: »

Unless the rules have changed recently here, MSE Wendy has previously posted to explain that a duplicate thread is entirely acceptable on the CAB board :)

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/...33&postcount=3

OP - I would recommend you visit your local Citizens Advice Bureau office which you can find at www.citizensadvice.org.uk.
    Take along all your applicable paperwork and hopefully they will be able to help you understand why the conveyancer claims to have incurred £2800 worth of work which does seem extraordinarily high. Maybe there have been some major complications that have not fully been explained to you?
  • CAB_National_Representative
    CAB_National_Representative Posts: 220 Organisation Representative
    Options
    topaz1 wrote: »
    Sale of my property and my intended purchase fell through due to my bungling Estate Agents. I was close to exchange on my flat but had not commenced any searches or anything on the house I intended to purchase. The solicitor has slapped me with a bill for £1730, saying she had done in fact carried out £2600 worth of work. Needless to say, I am reeling from the shock from the high bill. I cannot understand the invoices, which seems to be made up of pages and pages of an itemised bill showing that she charged me 20 quid every time she posted a letter. I have only got a one bed flat and using limited funds towards move. This is going to spoil it all for me. Someone please help me know my rights!

HI Topaz1 - we're not covering these questions on the CAB board at the moment. We'd recommend contacting either our Consumer Helpline (08454 04 05 06, 9am to 5pm, Mondays to Fridays), or your local bureau. It would be helpful for them if you had all invoices & letters to hand when you rang or went in to see someone - and especially any initial letter(s) where the solicitor might have stated their terms & conditions for providing you with the conveyancing services.
    Official CAB Representative
    I am an official representative of CAB. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to questions on the CAB Board. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. If you believe I’ve broken any rules please report my post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com as usual"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure