Organic meat

Options
rogertb
rogertb Posts: 408 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
With a great deal of respect to my local butchers shops, (places I would prefer to buy beef chicken etc) how do I know if the beef, for example, is organic grass fed and 'local' with high welfare standards - they all say it is but one in particular always seems a bit 'dodgy', at least in the supermarket the packaging has the RSPCA label on it but the butchers don't have labels ?

Comments

• PLRFD
    PLRFD Posts: 1,126 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    It’s all down to trust if you think one particular butcher is dodgy go elsewhere.
  • A._Badger
    A._Badger Posts: 5,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The word 'organic' isn't just scientifically meaningless in the context in which it is used by foodies but, even when applied to meat produced in accordance with the standards of the various schemes, it doesn't mean your food is locally produced. If that is what concerns you, you should ask your butcher where his meat comes from - which actual farm.

The RSPCA scheme, while better than nothing, has come in for some criticism in the past and, again, tells you nothing about how local the food is.

If your local butcher is serious about selling high quality meat he will welcome your questions as he wants a discerning customer who appreciates what he is trying to do. If he rebuffs you, you can draw your own conclusions!!
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    rogertb wrote: »
    With a great deal of respect to my local butchers shops, (places I would prefer to buy beef chicken etc) how do I know if the beef, for example, is organic grass fed and 'local' with high welfare standards - they all say it is but one in particular always seems a bit 'dodgy', at least in the supermarket the packaging has the RSPCA label on it but the butchers don't have labels ?

If the butcher is selling organic meat, the shop will be registered with one of the organic certification schemes and should be displaying their certificate.

If you have any concrete reasons for thinking the butcher is, say, passing off non-organic meat as organic, you can notify the certification body who will do an unannounced inspection.
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,229 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    A._Badger wrote: »
    If your local butcher is serious about selling high quality meat he will welcome your questions as he wants a discerning customer who appreciates what he is trying to do. If he rebuffs you, you can draw your own conclusions!!
    Agree, I asked local butcher about free range chicken, told there is no demand so he doesn't stock them.

10/10 for honesty anyway
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • Mansard
    Mansard Posts: 27 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 23 August 2019 at 4:22PM
    Options
    The best thing to do is never buy meat from supermarkets. Marks & Spencers would be the only exception to that, but always be prepared to pay more for higher quality meats from your local butchers. It is always worth it, even if you can't especially taste it.

Anyone who has ever bought meat from Tesco will probably know not to do it again. Their chickens don't taste like chicken at all. They taste like chemicals. Sainsbury's is not much better. Surprisingly, I would prefer ASDA to either of the aforementioned two as their meats actually taste like meat.
  • rogertb
    Options
    That's what I wondered mojisola ... some kind of accreditation but proving they're cheating is impossible, I'll keep checking these places out and try an dget recommendations .... thanks to all for their responses.
  • Mr_Singleton
    Options
    Mansard wrote: »
    The best thing to do is never buy meat from supermarkets. Marks & Spencers would be the only exception to that

Your sooooo right! Here is some video of Marks & Spencer’s high welfare chicken enjoying all that high welfare that M&S charge through the nose for....
    https://youtu.be/hEhfdXAJa_Y
  • rogertb
    Options
    Exactly what i was afraid of, sadly greed overrides everything
  • Mr_Singleton
    Options
    rogertb wrote: »
    Exactly what i was afraid of, sadly greed overrides everything

Nothing to do with greed.... people are knowingly buying these uber cheap chickens BECAUSE they are cheap.
  • rogertb
    Options
    I meant 'greed' as in not willing to pay a fair price for a bird that's been reared with some thought to animal welfare, when you can buy a chicken for, sometimes, less than £4 the conditions of 'housing' and feeding must be horrific ... the farmers are greedy, the shops are greedy and the public, as you say, go for price.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure