Husband's experience for 1st phone callhi

Options
Hi guys

Husband has his first call from the receiver's office today, which he has been quietly panicking over. He explained to a lovely lady that the debt had accrued over a number of years, and couldn't be more specific due to issues with depression and other mental health issues. and that our household income had reduced due to my business income reducing substantially. He queried his lease car and she said that they didn't have an issue with him keeping the car, although they explained that the lease company may want the car back once she let's them know about his bankruptcy. And of course we don't know what her decision will be on the money he spends on the lease with regard to what ipa she may try to push him towards. But a quick 20 minute call left him feeling much more comfortable, and he just has to wait to hear from them in a few weeks apparently.

I just thought others might be interested in how that first call may go, and will keep you guys posted in case it is useful to anyone.

Comments

• exlews
    exlews Posts: 12 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you. As I am hoping to go through the process soon I am interested in these threads
  • Years_of_debt
    Options
    That’s good.
    I have no shame in admitting I want to dodge an IPA as much as possible.
    What did they ask your husband in regards to his income/expenditure?
    Is you’re husband working at the minute?
  • vivki
    vivki Posts: 39 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Apparently they just got him to confirm his and my income. He is working.

I agree on not wanting an ipa. Who wants to be tied in for 3 years if you can manage to get it over with in 12 months? I know we owe the money, and no one made us borrow it, but having worked for rbs for a number of years in the debt recovery department, I have no sympathy for banks or lenders as a whole. They run a business and play the odds, using whatever tactics they can to make money.
  • Years_of_debt
    Options
    Yeh I don’t care about the creditors. That’s my opinions, others on here are different and that’s fine.
    Can you post back and let me know what the OR allowed your husband for his expenses each month? I.e like £800 and then anything over that is put towards the IPA
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,938 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Bankruptcy should be viewed as the fresh start that it is, it should not be something to fear.

Everyone involved in the process is there to make it go as smooth as possible, they are not there to make life hard for you.

As for an IPA, if you have more than £20 disposable income, you will get one.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure