How can I lower loan debt?

Options
Stubbsy_2
Stubbsy_2 Posts: 10 Forumite
My partner has taken over sole responsibility for 3 loans that are secured against the house.

They total about £20,000 + and repayments are interest only.
Is there a way to minimise this debt, e.g. by using 0% cards, etc? Any ideas would be gratefully rec'd.
if i had known then what i know now

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    If your partner has no problem with obtaining credit he/she may be able to find an unsecured loan which will have lower interest.
  • Pal
    Pal Posts: 2,076 Forumite
    Options
    If the loan is secured against the house anyway, could you remortgage and roll the payments into the mortgage?
  • Stubbsy_2
    Stubbsy_2 Posts: 10 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks, could try that.

The only problem is at the mo - the mortgage is still in both her and her ex's name, she is currently in the process of trying to get his name removed from the mortgage as she has been awarded the house and subsequent loans following divorce proceedings. The thing is on her salary this is a bit tricky and suppose will mean they won't want the amount on the mortgage increasing.

What my thought processes were that maybe while we were waiting for all of this to be finalised we could lessen the overall debt so that when we come to remortgage in both of our names (which is the plan) the mortgage will be lower and more affordable for us. Don't really wan to pay legal costs, etc twice - once to remortgage inc. the loans and again when we add my name.

Thanks anyway and I will try to look into it a bit more.
    if i had known then what i know now
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport