My journey

Options
Hi all, I thought I’d write a post to share my experience of Bankruptcy.

With around £35k worth of debt and Baliff’s constantly at the door I was always on edge. Sunday’s and bank holidays, after 9pm and before 6am were the only times I felt safe to relax!

Took the plunge on the 17th April 2018, less then 24 hours later I got the email to say I was Bankrupt! Before I submitted the forms I had looked at lots of threads on here for advice with Soa. Had my call a few days later, as I had no assets and do not work it was an easy and non judgemental phone call.

The last year has flown by. The first month dragged but after that it flew.

I had an issue with a tax credit overpayment which was included but they were still taking £50 a week off me. Initially I hadn’t realised, then I thought I’d wait a while and see what they were going to do (I had read they can take a while). Eventually after 26 weeks I rang them up and got put through to overpayments who filled out a form. I received a letter a few days later saying they were issuing me a refund within 7 days and I got a lump sum into my bank on day 6. I didn’t inform the OR as I had budgeted to have that amount weekly.

One week before automatic discharge I had a letter from a debt collector who had bought a debt! Rang them told them the situation and not to contact me again. One day before discharge and they were at the door. Some random guy who wasn’t aware of the bankruptcy then tried his luck with threats etc of removal of goods (think he was new to the job as he kept back tracking and making mistakes etc) laughed and closed door on him. Called the OR straight away who then called back about an hour later and said it was dealt with now.

Then discharge day came. I had been thinking about this day for a whole year, I had ideas of a grand celebration, feeling elated etc but to be honest it was just a normal day. I did let out a little whoop whoop but that’s all and carried on my day.

In all my experience has been very easy. I was a simple case no assets and I gave up work (took a year out!) so I wouldn’t have to have a payment plan. I’m also in my last year of a degree so wanted to concentrate on that too so it worked well for me to take a break from work.

OR questioned about my partner and his money etc which I did give details to them and we accounted for all his money 😉😉.

I was petrified the whole time my bank account hold be looked at as would have payments going out to people for say birthdays etc which wasn’t on the soa as I’ve not heard anything I’m assuming it was never checked.

My bank account wasn’t touched and I recieved a letter from nationwide to say they would not be closing He account etc but I had already moved to them with a basic account before bankruptcy in preparation.

Now to get on with life debt free and not looking over my shoulder!

X
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport