When do you mention you want the job part time?

Options
2»

Comments

• Blatchford
    Options
    theoretica wrote: »
    I have heard of two people applying together for a job share - no idea if that was a one off or common.
    Not that common but it does happen. That would usually be quite ok. The difficulty is people knowing someone else who wants the job split.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    BoBoDobie wrote: »
    Then why advertise the job stating it's suitable for part time or job sharers and be surprised that you get applicants wanting to do part time hours?

Because requirements can change and advert's posted/pulled through third party sites incorrectly. ((Though I would have thought local govt a bit more PC.))

My last job was listed as part time & permanent but on turning up it was said full-time but zero hours (which definitely wasn't mentioned in the job ad although the ft turned into a blessing in reality). It's isn't the first time I'd had an applied for part time job to later be announced as full time either.

Likewise I've been in an interview room before now, and had someone debating whether a full-timer was wanted or 2 part timers, literally on the day. When the vacancy has come up again couple of years later, this time the company have now advertised separately for both full time and part timer as own defined jobs ad's with addition caveat that two locations must be covered regardless of hours, so you can only hope it puts some off. (and was something actually missed on the third party job board)

If you can't afford to do full time, query at point of applying.
  • pinkshoes
    pinkshoes Posts: 20,089 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    It is between finding the best candidate and wanting someone full time.

By advertising for part time too, then they can interview everyone. If the best candidate wants to work part time vs someone else wanting full time, they can then choose.

E.g. I worked for an engineering company 3 days a week because firstly it was cheaper for them, and secondly I was good at my job and could do what the other candidate could do in just three days!! Win win for everyone!

(Except they then got greedy and tried to make me work full time, I quit, and they couldn’t manage to recruit anyone else so had to cough up a lot of money for a contractor. Hahahahahaaa).
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure