online course for teenager finanancial education?

Options
wasn't sure where to post but i think martin mentioned on his programme a short course online for teaching financial education, anyone know of it please- or can recommend something
thanks

Comments

• sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,925 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    curlytop12 wrote: »
    wasn't sure where to post but i think martin mentioned on his programme a short course online for teaching financial education, anyone know of it please- or can recommend something
    thanks

Hi,

I can only find this :

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/family/2017/11/half-a-million-financial-education-textbooks-to-be-sent-to-english-schools
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • curlytop12
    curlytop12 Posts: 1,224 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    thanks, I'm lending him my martin lewis book -The MoneyDiet- he knows it is my bible!!
    I think it may be a OU course I'm thinking of....will keep looking.
  • gizmorat
    Options
    I think it’s this one;

Managing my money for young adults

You’ll have to google it as I can’t post links.

I was looking at it for my 16 year old but it didn’t quite have the content I wanted.
  • pennystretcher
    Options
    You mean the OU free courses "Managing my money" and Managing my money for young adults"?
    http://www.open.edu/openlearn/free-courses/full-catalogue
  • pennystretcher
    pennystretcher Posts: 458 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    edited 29 November 2017 at 9:04PM
    Options
    OK so I just thought I'd run through the managing my money for young adults...I am not impressed with it (am about 75% through so far)
    For example below - to finance your holiday rather than save for it is good debt?!?!

Which of the following would you consider to be a ‘bad’ (irresponsible) debt?

Select one or more:
    Borrowing £1000 for 12 months to take a summer holiday. (according to OU - good debt)
    Borrowing £2000 for two years to lend to your friend. (according to OU bad debt - I agree)

Their excuse is
    "Borrowing £1000 for 12 months to take a summer holiday is not what most people would do but provided you can make the repayments over the 12-month period then an annual loan for the (annual) summer holiday is not really being irresponsible." :eek:
  • perfectxmess
    Options
    So every year it's ok to take a loan etc to go on holiday? Err don't think so!

To be honest i find that mse loves credit and seems fine with going into debt if it's 'manageable'. But that's how people get into serious problems because the debt slowly gets bigger and then all of a sudden it's completely un-manageable. Whether it's at 0% or 50% shouldn't really make a difference - you still can't afford it.

I feel that for me the principle of saving for things and trying to stay away from credit is the best thing. I think it's too easy to justify using credit for silly things. And a holiday is one of them.
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,925 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    So every year it's ok to take a loan etc to go on holiday? Err don't think so!

I feel that for me the principle of saving for things and trying to stay away from credit is the best thing. I think it's too easy to justify using credit for silly things. And a holiday is one of them.

I agree, after been in debt since I was 18, living in credit for years, two insolvencies, and more consolidation than you can shake a stick at, I finally realised the folly of it all.

I have no debt at all now, don’t use credit, and pay for everything with my own money, not some banks, broke the mold if you like.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • middleclassbutpoor
    Options
    Im going to have a look through this course - my children are not teenagers but do share concerns that financial education needs to start earlier because it could have made my life much different.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure