Wifes debt ,worried sick

Options
Hi,thougt life was great till friends asked if my wife had money worries as she had lent £10000 from them,i paid them back but have emptied my bank balance doing it ,i confronted wife who has told me she had closed her buisiness,and has bank loans of £23000.i am worried sick and am i liable as our mortgage is in joint names, i cant sleep with worry

Comments

• WhenIam64
    WhenIam64 Posts: 1,052 Forumite
    Options
    The first thing you need to do is to sit down and make a plan. The plan should be how many payments over how long (cash flow). You then work out if the loan payments can be made or will she need to default on any (or all) of them.

Joint names on a mortgage suggests joint ownership of the home so some debt solutions would not be available to her so an IVA or a DMP is the more likely way forward.

A debt charity would be able to advise and if you wife can find new employment then you may be able to meet the schedule in an IVA/DMP from those.
    am i liable as our mortgage is in joint names

There will be a solution that does not risk the home but it will depend on the numbers.
    Unlike some here, I am not omniscient. If I am wrong correct me. I won't take offence.

The law is like an ocean - have a swim but don't drown.
  • Carl100
    Options
    Thanks for reply ,she has talked about iva ,buy my head is spinning and dont know anything about it ,also she is happy to take her name of mortgage for mine and kids benefit so house is safe ,can this be done ,has anyone experienced this ,im in turmoil,never felt so low in my life,thanks in advance
  • WhenIam64
    WhenIam64 Posts: 1,052 Forumite
    edited 16 November 2019 at 12:26PM
    Options
    The solution you are looking for is a logical one based on the numbers you can put together. The last thing you want to do is to make decisions on the fly. No-one really wants to take your home from you as it is easier/simple/more profitable to get you to pay to the terms. Which is why you need to sit down with a plan.

The other issue is the effect on you and the family. You are more likely to be successful in sorting this as a team rather than pulling in different directions. If your wife has been in business perhaps she can do the financial plan and see what is affordable. Have chat with someone from Stepchange or Payplan who both have comprehensive guides to the options.

Are the loans personal or secured? Are any of the loans in the name of a limited company or are they all personal?
    Unlike some here, I am not omniscient. If I am wrong correct me. I won't take offence.

The law is like an ocean - have a swim but don't drown.
  • Grumpelstiltskin
    Grumpelstiltskin Posts: 4,240 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 16 November 2019 at 12:15PM
    Options
    Carl first of all don't panic, if you do you are liable to make the wrong decisions.

Calm down and as suggested get all the information together and sit down and get everything down on paper.

Nothing is going to happen this weekend and if you know by Monday
    what exactly what the situation is then you will be in a good position to contact a debt charity.

Edit Get your wife to look at this website for help with business debts.

https://www.businessdebtline.org/
    If you go down to the woods today you better not go alone.
  • Carl100
    Options
    Thankyou again ,its unsecured bank loans,we have contacted bank and started procedures to take her name of mortgage ,we have contacted iva agencies to speak to,so when she starts a job we can pay an agreed amount back,i just hope this is the right way,if there is a right way,thanks
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,735 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    What is the reason that she has run up the debts?
    She needs to address that first, otherwise the pattern may continue. For example if she was running a business, are there any tax bills in the horizon?
    Do you have any joint bank accounts, or are your finances completely separate?
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,878 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 16 November 2019 at 6:06PM
    Options
    Carl100 wrote: »
    Thanks for reply ,she has talked about iva ,buy my head is spinning and dont know anything about it ,also she is happy to take her name of mortgage for mine and kids benefit so house is safe ,can this be done ,has anyone experienced this ,im in turmoil,never felt so low in my life,thanks in advance

Hi Carl,

It can be daunting when first confronted by a large amount of debt, but the solutions are pretty much straightforward affairs, there are tried and tested ways of dealing with it, using solutions provided for you by Government.

However, most debt solutions require an income of some kind.

Your circumstances, and your income and expenditure dictate which debt solution may be right for your particular situation, as you are both homeowners, you have that asset to protect, so an IVA (Individual voluntary arrangement) or a DMP (Debt mangement plan) are the two options most likley to be suitable for her.

I suggest you Google both options, then this weekend, get as much information as possible on them, than have her contact buisness debtline, linked to above, to discuss this in more detail, but with no current income, there is nothing much anyone can do, i would suggest informing her creditors she has no income to avoid any further action being taken.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • Carl100
    Options
    We want to go the iva route,but we feel the need to get her name of the mortgage asap,to safeguard the house,and stop the creditors makeing us remorgage
  • Grumpelstiltskin
    Options
    Carl Don't commit to an IVA until you have discussed all options with a free Debt Charity.

Like I said don't rush into something in a panic.
    If you go down to the woods today you better not go alone.
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,878 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Carl100 wrote: »
    We want to go the iva route,but we feel the need to get her name of the mortgage asap,to safeguard the house,and stop the creditors makeing us remorgage

No, I would not recommend you do this, it’s called “disposal of an asset” and can be reversed if she enters insolvency within 5 years, the IVA can also be refused by her creditors if it’s found out assets have been disposed of.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure