'Friend' owes me money

Options

Hi, I made a big mistake and moved in with someone I thoughtwas a friend but who now owes me £220 in rent and is refusing to pay it back. Ihave now moved out of the house and the contract ends on 8th November but thereare outstanding bills on the property and i don't know what to do. The moneyshe owes me is for rent as she is claiming housing benefit and the council took3 months to sort out her claim so I paid all the rent for 3 months. When herclaim was resolved the council said they would not pay it all so I was left outof pocket.

I paid all the bills out of my bank account and she gave methe money when she felt like it. All the money she paid me was bank transfers -she never gave me cash. I moved out of the property on 21st October and she hasnow moved out as well but by the time the contract ends we will owe 2 monthsgas and electric (I can't afford to pay when I know she won't pay me back) andthe last bit of rent - about £200. What should I do? Should I pay my half orshould I leave it to go to court and explain that she owes me rent and I can'tafford to pay her share? I am really stuck and would appreciate any help,thanks

Comments

• CAB_National_Representative
    CAB_National_Representative Posts: 220 Organisation Representative
    Options
    pedz wrote: »
    Hi, I made a big mistake and moved in with someone I thoughtwas a friend but who now owes me £220 in rent and is refusing to pay it back. Ihave now moved out of the house and the contract ends on 8th November but thereare outstanding bills on the property and i don't know what to do. The moneyshe owes me is for rent as she is claiming housing benefit and the council took3 months to sort out her claim so I paid all the rent for 3 months. When herclaim was resolved the council said they would not pay it all so I was left outof pocket.

I paid all the bills out of my bank account and she gave methe money when she felt like it. All the money she paid me was bank transfers -she never gave me cash. I moved out of the property on 21st October and she hasnow moved out as well but by the time the contract ends we will owe 2 monthsgas and electric (I can't afford to pay when I know she won't pay me back) andthe last bit of rent - about £200. What should I do? Should I pay my half orshould I leave it to go to court and explain that she owes me rent and I can'tafford to pay her share? I am really stuck and would appreciate any help,thanks

Hi pedz - we'd urge you to contact your local bureau and get an appointment with an adviser for help and support on this. And we'd suggest that you have any relevant documents to hand when you speak with them on the phone or face-to-face. Also, you don't mention whether the tenancy agreement and the bills were in your name only, or in the name of yourself and your friend? It would probably be useful to have details like that to hand as well.
    Official CAB Representative
    I am an official representative of CAB. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to questions on the CAB Board. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. If you believe I’ve broken any rules please report my post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com as usual"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure