Online retailer claiming on half of return received

Options
Wondering if anyone has ever had a similar thing happen....

I returned 2 x pairs of shoes in the same parcel, to save on postage, and sent special/signed for.

Only one pair has been logged back in as returned! Have sent photos etc and also weight of parcel should prove it contained two pairs and not one!

Who is liable if not resolved? Royal Mail will say it shows as received and retailer will say it only contained one pair! Meanwhile I’m £70 down (well, £140 at the moment as they keep offering me a credit when I’ve made it clear I want a refund!).

It’s not a huge amount of money but still £70 out of pocket if the second pair does not materialise in their returns department.

Also, they are ignoring my request for a refund and have given me a code to use as credit against future purchase (something I don’t ever intend to use and will never buy from them again).

I’d like to call them but their phone number is not published anywhere online and they’re not responding to my tweet asking for it!

Comments

• Carrot007
    Carrot007 Posts: 4,534 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If they were sent out as two parcels, sending back as one was asking for trouble. Did you staple the cover notes for the return together? Might have helped.

Want to share the retailer? Might help have an idea what they might do. Sounds like someone no sane person would do business with though!

And if it was a return did RM even weigh it? They never do for me. Maybe that's just free returns though.
  • Paula_Leanne
    Options
    I stapled both returns notes together and wrote ‘1 of 2’ and ‘2 of 2’ across the top. Unless totally incompetent you could not miss the fact that there were two returns. Both were in their own shoe box, which both fitted perfectly in the outer box/packaging.

I held onto the first (too big) pair until the second/replacements arrived as I had a feeling they’d be too small. Stupidly thought I’d save myself a few £’s by sending together. Thought they were a reputable retailer but in hindsight it looks like I was wrong.

I sent special delivery, signed for, and was weighed at 1.2kg. This should prove two pairs as it is all their original packaging so if they placed two boxed pairs in one of their postage boxes and weighed it, the weight would match.

Retailer is Butterfly Twists, they sell shoes.

Edited to add, returns were not free which is why I sent together. Cost me £11 to send insured, so not a cost I wanted to incur twice.
  • lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,615 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    How did you pay for the shoes?
    Debit card? Credit card?
  • Paula_Leanne
    Options
    Panic over! They’ve miraculously found the second pair and have now refunded!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure