budgetting for private dentistry

Options
I want to go back to my old dental surgery, where I used to be registered as an NHS patient, but I want to ask them if I can see the other dentist (who only does private work). I was always happy with the surgery generally but I stopped going when my old NHS dentist left and another one joined and I didn't get a good feeling about him.

Anyway, to get to the point, I have never been brave enough to go for private dentistry before, being on a limited income and am unsure how much money I'm likely to need in order to fund it and would like to get other people's feedback on how they pay for theirs. Do you use DenPlan? Did it cost a lot initially if you did?

I'm wondering how much I'll need to save for the initial outlay and how much roughly I'd need to budget each month. Obviously I'm aware it depends on the condition your teeth/mouth is in, lol. I was always a regular attender and have no problems in particular with my teeth apart from some impacting wisdoms..

Thanks

Comments

• firstbuyer
    firstbuyer Posts: 165 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I bit the bullet and started going to a Private Dentist last year and haven't looked back.

I'm not on any kind of insurance type plan - as when I've looked they wouldn't actually cover a lot of the cost to even benefit having it?

I am charged £40 per check up and £50 for a hygienist. I have had root canal work (summing nearly £500) and other fillings (£140 each ish). The quality of the work I've had is much higher too, and the dentist said she uses different materials on private patients than NHS. My practise also offers interest free credit if you need it.

If you're in good nick with your teeth - and you don't foresee any major work needing done, I don't think private dentistry is that far off NHS?
    Finally completed on our new home
    Cladding Scandal Activist
  • panagia
    panagia Posts: 152 Forumite
    Options
    I've not had a hygienist appointment since I was a child, lol.

The trouble is, I couldn't risk being charged £500+ for treatment as I never have that kind of money, so I think I might be better off going Denplan or something so that I can budget for it. Not sure!
  • Toothsmith
    Toothsmith Posts: 10,074 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Most practices do (and all should!) give some indication of their charges on their website or at least practice information leaflets.

If you have an NHS check up and get the 'all clear' then you should be fairly confident there is not going to be loads of work that needs doing. So go and see the private dentist pretty soon after that?

Be aware though that the NHS check-up will only be checking stuff is actually healthy at that point in time. With the private check-up - stuff might well be brought up that 'could do' with doing in order to prevent future problems. Or - if you go in saying that you are unhappy with the appearance of various bits and pieces in your mouth - then purely cosmetic treatment may well be suggested as well.And that will add to the bill!

If you wanted to go on a monthly payment scheme like Denplan - then there are various types. There are also other companies that provide similar things - so don't be surprised if the practice you choose call it Practice Plan, or SmileCare or similar. Some have your monthly payment covering just check ups, x-rays and hygiene visits, and then offer a discount on any treatment you might need. These tend to be a cheaper monthly payment - but obviously don't fully cover everything. The main 'Denplan' though covers practically everything (You would pay technician fees if you needed anything making for you like a crown, or a denture or stuff like that) It doesn't cover cosmetic treatment, and it doesn't cover implant provision, although with Denplan there is an extra insurance bit you can take out that would provide implants - but only if the tooth was lost in an accident.

If you wanted to sign onto a full-coverage 'Denplan' though, the dentist might want to replace any older/dodgy looking fillings first - so the initial bill might be a bit more than if you were just paying as you went.

So really it depends on how good your mouth is already, and how much treatment you think you're likely to require in the future. Usually though, once you're established at the practice, you'll find the bills stabilize, and become more predictable.
    How to find a dentist.
    1. Get recommendations from friends/family/neighbours/etc.
    2. Once you have a short-list, VISIT the practices - dont just phone. Go on the pretext of getting a Practice Leaflet.
    3. Assess the helpfulness of the staff and the level of the facilities.
    4. Only book initial appointment when you find a place you are happy with.
  • panagia
    panagia Posts: 152 Forumite
    Options
    Just bumping in case anyone else can say what they pay per month, and whether they found it expensive to start with.

Thanks for the replies people have made already.
  • florida_mousie
    florida_mousie Posts: 19 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 8 May 2018 at 7:24PM
    Options
    I pay about £30 a month but I!!!8216;ve always had bad teeth so think I!!!8217;m on one of the highest Denplan charge bands. It goes up a couple of pounds a year generally. If there is nothing wrong with your teeth you would probably start at under £20 a month. Don!!!8217;t Denplan show the price of their plans on their web page? The dentist has to assess you first to determine the level you would be on so maybe they would do the assessment for free and then you could decide whether you can afford it? Might be worth asking?

As someone else said you get checkups and hygienist appointments for that and only pay for any work if there are lab fees e.g. in making a crown which are about £100. Given the current NHS charge bands I reckon the Denplan works for me as things are always going wrong with my teeth. Also you get a better standard of treatment and always get seen the same day if you have a dental emergency as part of the plan as well as an element of dental insurance for accidents.
  • Toothsmith
    Toothsmith Posts: 10,074 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Denplan show the price of their plans on their web page?

Dentists set their own Denplan (Or other monthly payment scheme) charges.

So 'Denplan' won't show them on their website. Individual practices should have some idea of both their fee-per-item charges and monthly scheme charges on their website somewhere though.
    How to find a dentist.
    1. Get recommendations from friends/family/neighbours/etc.
    2. Once you have a short-list, VISIT the practices - dont just phone. Go on the pretext of getting a Practice Leaflet.
    3. Assess the helpfulness of the staff and the level of the facilities.
    4. Only book initial appointment when you find a place you are happy with.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,101 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If you are going private it is best to get health insurance such as Bupa. I have spent over £100 on private dentists in the past week.
    Going for dentist to dentist and they did not do what I wanted.

If I had been under Bupa or another insurance, they would have paid.
    I think it works as you pay so much a month insurance. Then when you go to a dentist for consultation or have any treatment your insurance pays for it. Something like that.
  • Trailer_Trash
    Options
    I also pay £30 pcm (used to be £22) BUT I knocked 3 front teeth out as a kid, have RA and my teeth are brittle and break easy so have had a lot of work. I only get charged for materials from the lab (so recently it was £85 to have a new crown made) and labour etc is all included. I find for all the work I have done it is a good investment (especially when I had a fixed bridge made as it only cost me a few hundred instead of a LOT more if I didnt have the plan).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure