Offset Mortgage Advice

Options
I'm coming towards the end of my current 2 year mortgage rate and I'm considering taking out an offset mortgage when it comes to remortgaging. Just had a few questions and was wondering if someone could help.

I have an outstanding balance of around £125,000 left on my mortgage. I was considering borrowing and using my own savings in order to match the £125,000 in savings to offset the mortgage with.

Now I understand that if I did this I would be paying 0% interest on my repayments (please correct me if I'm wrong in anything I say).

The questions I had were...

1. What would happen if during my time with the offset mortgage I withdrew money from the savings account? Wound it affect my monthly payments? Wound it affect my mortgage term? What impact would it have on my mortgage, if any?

2. Would my interest stay at 0% if I withdrew money from my savings account as I paid off the mortgage and wound that be without any restrictions or penalties. For example, if my mortgage and savings account were both at £125,000 and my first monthly payment towards the mortgage was £800, after that's paid wound I be able to withdraw £800 from my savings account keeping the balances the same?

3. As I am offsetting the mortgage 100% with savings does that mean I don't have to worry about the mortgage interest rate? For example, I could take out a 10 year/lifetime higher interest rate mortgage as I would still be paying 0% interest?

Thank you in advance for any help.

Comments

• getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    A lot of people get the fundamentals about offsets wrong and talk nonsense using tems like effective rate and only paying 0% when 100% offset.

When you offset you pay interest on net borrowing, all you are doing is borrow less, you still pay the same rate.

When 100% offset you X% on £0. not 0% on £Y

1. depends on lender how they manage the account, two examples,
    Barclays : allow you to run a repayment plan, you can have variable payment, partially fixed payment(adjusted by triggers such as a rate change) or never have the payment go down(when the triggers happen)
    The idea is the mortgage account gets smaller as you use up your contractual term.
    First Direct : allow the account to be run on an interest only basis, payments can go to zero.

2. you pay interest on net borrowing, if that stays at zero no interest is paid.
    The offset pots are your money you can use it whenever for whatever you like.

3. Rate can be important if you ever think you need to access the money and increase net borrowing.

That will depend why you are taking the offset, for many it is a way to manage cashflow and stooze to help pay off the mortgage faster and once 100% offset just keep the line of credit available.

BY getting a low rate you have the option to move the cash into investments that give a better return than the mortgage rate, a lot easier if the rate is low.

As an easy access emergency fund higher rate may be acceptable.

Remember with offsetting all you are doing is borrowing less.

Don't forget that your mortgage account on a long term fix may come with other features like a ERC if you try to pay off the mortgage account early, that means the usual caveats apply like might you move, might you want to overpay.

Also remember that if you fall on hard time the offset money counts as an asset and can restrict access to benefits(Often not an issue as the offset money is just part of a bigger set of assets).
  • callmemonks
    Options
    Thanks for the reply... I'm just a little confused.

You pay interest on net borrowing - Does that mean it doesn't matter how much I have in savings and interest will always be charged on the mortgage amount I have taken from the bank? Because technicially, if I have borrowed £125,000 and provided £125,000 as savings isn't that 0% net borrowed?

What would be the net borrowing?

Sorry if I am sounding stupid!
  • amnblog
    amnblog Posts: 12,445 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    In simple terms the funds offsetting are taken off of the mortgage balance before interest is calculated for the day.

If those two balances are the same, the mortgage is fully offset and there is nothing to pay interest on. In this case, mathematically, the interest rate is not relevant as you have no balance to levy it on.
    I am a Mortgage Broker

You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Broker, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • getmore4less
    Options
    Thanks for the reply... I'm just a little confused.

You pay interest on net borrowing - Does that mean it doesn't matter how much I have in savings and interest will always be charged on the mortgage amount I have taken from the bank? Because technicially, if I have borrowed £125,000 and provided £125,000 as savings isn't that 0% net borrowed?

What would be the net borrowing?

Sorry if I am sounding stupid!

Net borrowing is (mortgage - offset) that is the balance in £.
  • JimmyTheWig
    JimmyTheWig Posts: 12,199 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    if I have borrowed £125,000 and provided £125,000 as savings isn't that 0% net borrowed?
    It's £0 borrowed.
  • JimmyTheWig
    JimmyTheWig Posts: 12,199 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I have an outstanding balance of around £125,000 left on my mortgage. I was considering borrowing and using my own savings in order to match the £125,000 in savings to offset the mortgage with.
    (my bold)
    Borrowing from where?
  • callmemonks
    Options
    (my bold)
    Borrowing from where?

I'm borrowing from friends and family.

So if that is the case and I'm paying interest on £0, why is it that on some online mortgage calculators the monthly payment changes when selecting different rates. It shouldn't matter what rates are selected.
  • getmore4less
    Options
    Depends what they are calculating,
    Probably not what you think they are calculation.

You will need to provide an example.

Don't bother with the MSE calculator(s) they have too many flaws to be useful.
  • Bermonia
    Bermonia Posts: 977 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Also understand that online calculators cannot assume that your balance will always be offset and as such will have to demonstrate how the interest would potentially work.
  • callmemonks
    Options
    OK great, thanks for all the advice. Looks like it's not a bad option. Now to decide weather to fix it for a long term and not worry about the interest rate or if I should do it with a lower rate every 2 years.

Just out of interest does a lifetime tracker or fixed mean I can change products when I want to without any penalties?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure