Toys r us - let down!

Options
I purchased a playmobil police station and free advent calendar for my 4 year old grandson (on his wish list). Delivery was due by Thursday, never arrived, the Hermes site said"Order generated"
I chased it on Saturday and was emailed that you have to wait 5 days before we can chase it.

I wrote back, "I would rather you replace them and I will send the original one back if it arrives, please.

I certainly do not want my grandson to be disappointed, as one of the items is an advent calendar which now cannot be bought on line.
I am very disappointed. I have placed quite a number of orders recently, and was just telling others how great the service is.
Your apologies would be of no use to a four year old who believes in Santa, will it?"

But to no avail. Today I got the dreaded reply that it was damaged in transit and there were no calendars (little figures inside - £16.99).
I was fuming, and said they could ring me.

It transpires that ToysRus on line are nothing to do with the shops, so they couldn't get one in store and neither could they send anything as a freebie (apology) cos they don't do it.

The call ended with me telling hime that I will never order from them again.

Had to pay £16.97 from Amazon.

No money saving with T R Us then!

Comments

• TrueFlower
    Options
    What a shame. I'm sorry to hear that!
  • scottish_stresshead
    Options
    Aww im sorry to hear of that awful service! I have a 4 year old that is only really beginning to understand the magic of christmas and i know id be crushed if anything happened!!!

I hear a lot of bad stories from Hermes !! if you were to ever order from T R U again (which i wouldn't blame you if you didn't) be easier to collect from store!!!

Hermes really should be called Herpes lol
    5lb a Month Challenge 2012:j

Be happy! Beauty is both inside & Out!
  • dawyldthing
    dawyldthing Posts: 3,438 Forumite
    Options
    never have anything delivered from hermes or parcelnet as they will break everything! Its worth paying the extra 2 quid for the better delivery company as you will more than likely get it and it be in one piece
    :T:T :beer: :beer::beer::beer: to the lil one :) :beer::beer::beer:
  • charlcurt
    Options
    ireneski wrote: »
    It transpires that ToysRus on line are nothing to do with the shops, so they couldn't get one in store and neither could they send anything as a freebie (apology) cos they don't do it.

No money saving with T R Us then!

I find that strange as when i've been on toys r us website it says reserve and collect, think they're trying to pull a fast one :mad:
  • fireitup
    Options
    Here's my experience at a Peterborough store on Sunday. Having gone to the store to purchase an XBOX 360 console and a game, I was informed by their website that the game and the console was indeed in stock. I travelled to the store, I found the game and was told by an employee to take a ticket from the shelf (for the XBOX 360) to the checkout, pay for the items and then proceed to the collection point. I did all this and when the gentleman went to collect the goods, he brought the game back but said that the console that I had paid for with a debit card was out of stock (when even his computer system told him that they were in stock). Clearly there was a problem, and being concerned that I would not be able to procure my sons Christmas gift in time I suggested that I be refunded the money I had already paid and I could go elsewhere to make my purchase. The gentleman very politely explained that all they could do was refund my card but that the funds would not be available to me for up to 5 days! This was really not an option for me and I think restricted my rights as a consumer to purchase goods at a time and place of my choice. Because the money I had paid was no longer available to me at that time. I could not then go elsewhere to a store who did have the XBOX 360 and purchase it there. I then thought about a compromise whereby the store did have an upgraded package but at a cost of over £100 more than I wanted to or could afford to spend. I suggested that if we could reduce the cost of this package by removing the extras in the package I could spend a bit more and walk out of the store with an XBOX 360, albeit having spent more than I wanted to. The gentleman explained that only the store manager could make any decision on this. I asked to speak to the store manager. I was then confronted (literally confronted) by the store manager and I have never in my life experienced someone in a position of responsibilty with such a disregard for a customer. Having explained my situation to her, she was very indignant I was told that she would not be able to provide the goods I tried to purchase and she could not give me my funds to purchase elsewhere but that the refund would go back on the card and I would have to wait however long it took. She would not even attempt to listen to any compromise that I tried to suggest. I then suggested to her that if you can't provide the goods I had paid for and you can't give me my money back, in effect you have stolen my money (figuratively speaking, of course). I was then asked to leave the store without either an XBOX or my funds. This all happened in front of the many customers in the store on a Sunday afternoon providing a spectacle that caused myself considerable embarassment and left me with a feeling that I had in fact done something wrong? This "manager" soon disappeared and I was left with another employee. We then found a compromise whereby I did end up spending a lot more than I had intended, I received the goods and left the store. This manager was inconceivably abrupt and not at all sympathetic to the situation I found myself in. A situation I hasten to add was caused by one or more aspects of TOYS R US administration. This manager was in preference and very keen to simply have me ejected from the store. I was not angry, I was not shouting, I did not deserve the treatment I received in that store. I returned home very perturbed by my efforts to shop at TOYS R US, an experience I will never forget and one I hope I will never experience again. An absolute nightmare. Effectively forced into buying a more expensive item or risk not getting my sons christmas present at all.
  • scottish_stresshead
    Options
    fireitup wrote: »
    Here's my experience at a Peterborough store on Sunday. Having gone to the store to purchase an XBOX 360 console and a game, I was informed by their website that the game and the console was indeed in stock. I travelled to the store, I found the game and was told by an employee to take a ticket from the shelf (for the XBOX 360) to the checkout, pay for the items and then proceed to the collection point. I did all this and when the gentleman went to collect the goods, he brought the game back but said that the console that I had paid for with a debit card was out of stock (when even his computer system told him that they were in stock). Clearly there was a problem, and being concerned that I would not be able to procure my sons Christmas gift in time I suggested that I be refunded the money I had already paid and I could go elsewhere to make my purchase. The gentleman very politely explained that all they could do was refund my card but that the funds would not be available to me for up to 5 days! This was really not an option for me and I think restricted my rights as a consumer to purchase goods at a time and place of my choice. Because the money I had paid was no longer available to me at that time. I could not then go elsewhere to a store who did have the XBOX 360 and purchase it there. I then thought about a compromise whereby the store did have an upgraded package but at a cost of over £100 more than I wanted to or could afford to spend. I suggested that if we could reduce the cost of this package by removing the extras in the package I could spend a bit more and walk out of the store with an XBOX 360, albeit having spent more than I wanted to. The gentleman explained that only the store manager could make any decision on this. I asked to speak to the store manager. I was then confronted (literally confronted) by the store manager and I have never in my life experienced someone in a position of responsibilty with such a disregard for a customer. Having explained my situation to her, she was very indignant I was told that she would not be able to provide the goods I tried to purchase and she could not give me my funds to purchase elsewhere but that the refund would go back on the card and I would have to wait however long it took. She would not even attempt to listen to any compromise that I tried to suggest. I then suggested to her that if you can't provide the goods I had paid for and you can't give me my money back, in effect you have stolen my money (figuratively speaking, of course). I was then asked to leave the store without either an XBOX or my funds. This all happened in front of the many customers in the store on a Sunday afternoon providing a spectacle that caused myself considerable embarassment and left me with a feeling that I had in fact done something wrong? This "manager" soon disappeared and I was left with another employee. We then found a compromise whereby I did end up spending a lot more than I had intended, I received the goods and left the store. This manager was inconceivably abrupt and not at all sympathetic to the situation I found myself in. A situation I hasten to add was caused by one or more aspects of TOYS R US administration. This manager was in preference and very keen to simply have me ejected from the store. I was not angry, I was not shouting, I did not deserve the treatment I received in that store. I returned home very perturbed by my efforts to shop at TOYS R US, an experience I will never forget and one I hope I will never experience again. An absolute nightmare. Effectively forced into buying a more expensive item or risk not getting my sons christmas present at all.

oh my im sorry to hear of that..that is absoulutely disgusting the way you were treated!!! you should go to the papers and name and shame!! that "woman" shouldn't even be allowed to work with people and how she got manager..i will never know! im glad you got your wee lad's xmas but just a shame you were basically forced into paying more than you wanted too :(
    5lb a Month Challenge 2012:j

Be happy! Beauty is both inside & Out!
  • Lip_Stick
    Lip_Stick Posts: 2,415 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Wow. Shocking service from Toys R Us, but that doesn't surprise me, I don't think their customer service is up to much.

Not sure what right's you'd have in the situation above. But, I think as you'd paid you rightfully own the goods and the contract is complete. I think you'd have been within your rights to have refused the refund too, and got them to source you an Xbox. That's not much good though when Christmas is looming and you want to keep kids happy!

Shame on Toys R Us.
    There's a storm coming, Mr Johnson. You and your friends better batten down the hatches, because when it hits, you're all gonna wonder how you ever thought you could live so large and leave so little for the rest of us.
  • emweaver
    emweaver Posts: 8,419 Forumite
    Options
    Not to do with Toys R Us but is Hermes related. My Hermes courier takes almost a fortnight to deliver my items she always says she attempted delivery, I was out and she ran out of cards to leave me. Now unless she ALWAYS comes when Im on the school run I doubt shes really coming and if so after 18 months of this has she not worked it out Im on a school run especially as she knows Ive a 5 year old!

Ive ordered from 4 companies in the past 2 weeks and all of the parcels are with Hermes Im dreading them not coming and my 2 DD's going without. I remember last year my youngest had 6 presents and all my husbands presents didn't come as they were with her we had heavy snow so she couldnt get here but the snow cleared the day before xmas eve and when I rang her she said she had decided she wasn't delivering anymore until after xmas. When I rang Next I was told well we can't force her to deliver!
    Wins so far this year: Mum to be bath set, follow me Domino Dog, Vital baby feeding set, Spiderman goody bag, free pack of Kiplings cakes, £15 love to shop voucher, HTC Desire, Olive oil cooking spray, Original Source Strawberry Shower Gel, Garnier skin care hamper, Marc Jacobs fragrance.
  • doodledoodle24
    Options
    my Hermes driver is fantastic, always polite, nothing ever broken on delivery, always returns when he says he wil, leaves a card when he misses me, and even gave me his home phone number to arrange suitable times for re-deliverys and collections! I have got him a bottle of port for christmas to say thanks for being so fab at his job! lol
    is officially a GLEEK
  • SADIE
    SADIE Posts: 527 Forumite
    Options
    ermweaver wrote
    Not to do with Toys R Us but is Hermes related. My Hermes courier takes almost a fortnight to deliver my items she always says she attempted delivery, I was out and she ran out of cards to leave me. Now unless she ALWAYS comes when Im on the school run I doubt shes really coming and if so after 18 months of this has she not worked it out Im on a school run especially as she knows Ive a 5 year old!
    Ive ordered from 4 companies in the past 2 weeks and all of the parcels are with Hermes Im dreading them not coming and my 2 DD's going without. I remember last year my youngest had 6 presents and all my husbands presents didn't come as they were with her we had heavy snow so she couldnt get here but the snow cleared the day before xmas eve and when I rang her she said she had decided she wasn't delivering anymore until after xmas. When I rang Next I was told well we can't force her to deliver!

Ermweaver, not a chance your courier can take 14 days to deliver and get away with it so I'm guessing courier sends it back after 3 attempts and it's returned for the freebie extra deliveries that Hermes are so fond of(contract is 3 attempts)they love to try it on with the courier.
    Sorry to say but couriers don't and can't fit in with school runs etc. it's anytime between 8am-1pm or 1pm-6pm, although I think they've introduced but you need to select a 10am-2pm for school runs.

The courier would not be working for Hermes after 18 months if this was their normal practice and Next would never state that, sorry to say ermweaver but it seems that Hermes and Next are on the couriers side and that's very unusual. It needs a really good courier with many years of experience, an excellent record and very few issues to achieve this.

I'm not suggesting this is your case but.

Couriers have to suffer many quirky personalties whilst delivering, expectations are high from Hermes, customers and the companies customers order from, it can't work if it's one sided.

Just had what I refer to as a large head text me to say "you've called when I'm not at home twice" so return so I can have a refund before Xmas, not a please, thank you or sorry for your wasted time. I won't be rushing.

I always get to know my couriers, I have lots delivered and I have no problems at all, if the house is empty I have mine sent elsewhere, I would never ask for a time slot unless I was paying extra.

I fit in with my customers as a Hermes courier if I can but not to those that demand, best to establish a friendly relationship with your courier.
    scottish_stresshead wrote
    Aww im sorry to hear of that awful service! I have a 4 year old that is only really beginning to understand the magic of christmas and i know id be crushed if anything happened!!!
    I hear a lot of bad stories from Hermes !! if you were to ever order from T R U again (which i wouldn't blame you if you didn't) be easier to collect from store!!!

Hope your child isn't disappointed scottish_stresshead.

There are many bad stories about all delivery companies, there's also many forums discussing not very nice customers.
    You would need to read both to have a balanced view.

Never heard that one before scottish_stresshead;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure