Living on next to nought - is that the key?

Options

Comments

• Shovel_Lad
    Shovel_Lad Posts: 1,123 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    I am sure I speak for everyone on here when I say we would love to see further photo's especially of your Yoghurt Making Adventures
    CUL8R wrote: »
    I was expecting yoghurt photos. How would we taste it without photos? :tongue:
    WE NEED PHOTO'S :beer:
  • Greying_Pilgrim
    Greying_Pilgrim Posts: 5,460 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Good Morning :hello:

I'm in a bit of a rush, so this will be quick. But as a quick answer re Yoghurt photos, I will post a photo of the finished yoghurt - whether it is an unqualified disastrous grey mess, or something that looks vaguely like the stuff in a shop. I won't post 'making' photos though :D I'll be starting the yoghurt off this evening.

Today I have to buy milk, bananas and a TV listings guide. The last thing is a luxury - I'm wondering whether we should forgo it for a couple of months to put into the key fund. I'll see if there is a solution. I mean technically the info is online/on your TV, but it's so handy in mag form....... All expenditure today is budgeted for.

I have been out to look at, encourage and water the lettuces. They have grown overnight (I kid you not) and the 'hot' salad leaves have particularly started to grow strongly.

Right, I've snap boxes and coffee flasks to finish off preparing.

Oh, and just to restore a modicum of decorum to the thread, would viewers of the above photo kindly avert their eyes away from the carrots, and instead concentrate on the 2 smiley faces on the potatoes nearest the camera.........Thank you. :rotfl:

Thank you for reading.

Greying
    Pounds for Panes £3,005/£10,000 - start date Dec 2023

Coins for Camping (May) -  £0/£15  (Camping TTD - £75/90)

Grocery spend May £73.49/215
    Non-food household spend May £16.96/30
    Bulk Fund May 0/£15

Knitted items for charity 1/24 (inc. Blankets 1/6)
  • Piquant_2
    Piquant_2 Posts: 5,769 Forumite
    PPI Party Pooper Mortgage-free Glee! Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    I think you're allowed a TV mag, you're not serving a punishment here. It's mainly about taking control of the finances rather than letting them control you, well at least that's how I've viewed it and in my house you have to find the remote to view the TV listings first....

Lovely smiley faces on the potatoes :Dbut what is the carrot next to the sexy carrot doing?
    Total debt at October 2008: £67,213.30
    Total debt today: £0
    - debt and mortgage free 29th November 2013 :T
    Sealed Pot Challenge member 14
    Save £12K in 2014 - £6,521.90/£6K member 138

• Upsidedown_Bear
    Upsidedown_Bear Posts: 18,264 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 16 July 2013 at 10:14AM
    Options
    Piquant wrote: »
    Lovely smiley faces on the potatoes :Dbut what is the carrot next to the sexy carrot doing?
    :eek::eek::rotfl:

ETA
    Sorry, must have missed the bit about "a modicum of decorum"....:p
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,459 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    You can pick up a TV mag for about 40p which wont break the bank too much :)
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • Greying_Pilgrim
    edited 16 July 2013 at 9:16PM
    Options
    beanielou wrote: »
    You can pick up a TV mag for about 40p which wont break the bank too much :)

See now Beanielou, that is great advice, because that is in effect what I ended up doing. I looked at the price of the 3 mags and went 'down a brand' (well, 2 actually) and bought the mag that was 52p. It lists TV progs (doesn't do radio progs unfortunately) and means that I have the mag, plus £1 to put in the key fund :money:

Piquant wrote: »
    I think you're allowed a TV mag, you're not serving a punishment here. You are quite right Piq, a money saving or debt busting journey is not about sack cloth and ashes. Thanks for reminding us.

Lovely smiley faces on the potatoes :Dbut what is the carrot next to the sexy carrot doing? I don't know and hadn't *seen* it until you mentioned it :eek: :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

:eek::eek::rotfl:

ETA
    Sorry, must have missed the bit about "a modicum of decorum"....:p

In my best schoolmarmish voice and with rapid clapping, 'smiley faces, people, smiley faces........' :rotfl::rotfl:

Right, now today has been great. So where do I start.

Um, I found 10p in 'roadkill' (2x5p). And as described above, saved a £ so that's gone into the key fund.

The seedlings are growing still. There are also signs that the beetroot is starting to germinate and one of the corianders.

For dinner we had; Saag aloo, colourful spiced cabbage and lentil dhal. All were tasty, not 'hot' spicy so actually very nice to eat in this hot weather. The potatoes, cabbage and onion were from yesterday's grocery delivery, so another low cost meal for us. Yay! The saag aloo was a 'Hairy Bikers' recipe from their curry book. The BBC don't seem to of done that as a series yet, despite the book being out ages. Perhaps it will be on in the autumn or something - assuming the TV have optioned it. The cabbage recipe was Reza Mohammed, from his book that tied in with the 'Spice Prince' series on Food network. Neither of these recipes seems to be on the net anywhere, so I can't provide a link. I got both books on loan from the library. The lentil dhal was the recipe I always use (originally Australian) and it was a pot from the freezer, so a reasonably quick to prepare dinner too.

Ummm, now I'm trying to think was there something else.... erm nope I don't think so.

So, my 3 things I'm..............................STOP.

I remembered.

I had a go at making yoghurt this evening. :D

Quick summary, I bought some whole milk from Ald* for £1. I used 500ml to make yoghurt and topped the bottle back up with water. It is still probably a bit too 'creamy' for our taste, I could dilute it further I think.

I heated the milk up and put in some milk powder. The recipe said 25g, but I only had 14g without opening up a new packet. as it's optional, I just put in 14g. You then have to let it cool down the temp the yoghurt cultures will work at. All the advice on the web is that this is the boring bit and takes agggeeeesss. I figured in the warm weather it may take even longer. It didn't. I got a bit caught out and I think I *may* of let it go a bit too cool. However, I stirred in the starter yoghurt and it has gone into a pre-warmed flask.

I am going to be good and not open it until the morning. If it's gone wrong, it's gone wrong.

I will however, (whatever the outcome) have another go at this. I'm not convinced that the recipe I followed was correct. It called for 3 tbsps of starter, whereas everywhere else on the web called for far less per 500ml of milk. Counter-intuitively, more starter does not make thicker yoghurt, it apparently splits it and you get whey and cheese! I know what recipe I shall use next time. I did enjoy having a go. I hope something edible comes out of this effort - even though it has cost only a few pennies to make. But I think I may well be hooked.

Now, the 3 things I am grateful for today;

- bloggers. It was because someone blogged about lime trees and collecting lime blossom to dry for tea - showing pictures, that I have realised that trees that I walk past regularly are in fact, lime trees - there are 7 of them. I think they make good honey too - the trees were literally humming with insect life today.

- the internet. How would we be able to acquire such a broad range of skills, so quickly without it?

- my 'dishwasher'. Experimentation is so much easier when someone does the dishes afterwards. :D

Thank you for reading.

See y'all soon.

Greying

Bulk Fund May 0/£15

• Greying_Pilgrim
    edited 17 July 2013 at 6:57PM
    Options
    Good Morning :hello:

WOWSERS!

Plainyoghurt_zps3a442563.jpg

And for Piq (made with the very last remnants of raspberries from when we had an allotment. They've been waiting in the bottom of the freezer for a moment like this :D)

2b6ee248-e229-4548-80f2-3b1c1e60f269_zpsd59c0fb4.jpg

This is so :money: I will definitely be doing this again. Thank you for encouraging me. The yoghurt tastes lovely, it has a slight lemony hint (even though no flavourings were added) and smells wonderful.

Thank you for viewing.

See y'all later.

Greying

Bulk Fund May 0/£15

• Piquant_2
    Piquant_2 Posts: 5,769 Forumite
    PPI Party Pooper Mortgage-free Glee! Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    The yogurt looks delicious :T I am sure you're a little like me and will keep tweaking it though! You have to really, otherwise it's Adventure in yogurt rather than Adventures in yogurt...

Having already been the 'norty' girl [I wish....] in class, I am already going for detention. Please could you list the instructions for me, ie how do you make the starter kit etc :o:o:o:o:o Just remembered that lemon and raspberry yogurt is divine, as long as there's not too much lemon there :D

I have grown chillies, amongst other things, from seed this year and the first chillies are turning red. I am quite over-excited about this and am already planning my veggie chilli with chocolate. The chocolate bit is very money saving as I put about three squares of chocoate in the chilli and 30 squares of chocolate into me :D Nothing wasted.
    Total debt at October 2008: £67,213.30
    Total debt today: £0
    - debt and mortgage free 29th November 2013 :T
    Sealed Pot Challenge member 14
    Save £12K in 2014 - £6,521.90/£6K member 138

• CUL8R
    CUL8R Posts: 40 Forumite
    Options
    Looks delish. I think I might give it a try.

Thanks for sharing. Have a good day.
    CUL8R
  • Upsidedown_Bear
    Upsidedown_Bear Posts: 18,264 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Yoghurt looks yummy - thanks for sharing :D

And hooray for your 'dishwasher' :T

I agree with the sackcloth and ashes idea. If you have no fun at all (and fun definitely doesn't have to cost money) then life can become very miserable.
    It's getting the balance right. If you have some "fun money" in your budget then finding out what you really want to spend it on is important. No point spending it without thinking and later thinking "I wish I'd saved it for..."
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure