Single people - do you enter comps for couples/family prizes?

Options
You've probably discussed this before but I couldn't find it :)

Do you think it's okay for single people to win prizes aimed at couples or even families? Have you ever done so and won? I guess this would mainly be meals, exhibits, shows or even breaks and holidays. Could be awkward in some situations I suppose.

Comments

• Surfermom
    Surfermom Posts: 1,509 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I won, I won, I won!
    Options
    I'm not single but why ever not? If you won you could always take a friend or family member.

There are a few comps for holidays/events that seem specifically aimed at people with young children and I wouldn't enter those but to enter for a holiday or meal for 2 I think is fine.
  • tghe-retford
    Options
    I personally don't enter those type of competitions but I have no issue with any other single person doing so as long as its within the terms and conditions. Something is only as awkward as you make it to be. Saying that, I'm used to being alone in such situations so it wouldn't faze me.
  • strawberri_shortcake
    Options
    Yes. I do.
    Why do mice have such small balls?
    Because so few of them can dance.
  • JennyJukes
    JennyJukes Posts: 361 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I won, I won, I won!
    Options
    No - I've seen competitions on mumsnet/gransnet or over60s and I won't even enter them because it feels wrong even though logically I could use the goods! I have no issue if people do though. I do enter family/children competitions if my brother could use it for himself and his kids.
    Single woman doing it on my own... First house bought June 2021!
    Mortgage end date: 2041. Goal: Anything less!
    Mortgage currently paid off: 4%
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    No point most of the time. If a prize is for 2-4+ people, there's no point.
  • Ktkoozal
    Ktkoozal Posts: 303 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I am single and I have always entered holiday comps for couples. I won one in 2016 to Iceland and took my friend, I just asked for a twin room. You don't need to be in a couple just to enter comps for 2 people. I don't do the Honeymoon ones, and I only enter family comps which are in the UK and are a week in a holiday cottage, caravan, forest lodge etc which doesn't necessarily need or specify that it has to be adults and children. I take a friend or my Mum. One day hopefully a boyfriend.......;)
    Before enlightenment, chop wood, carry water
    After enlightenment, chop wood, carry water
  • strawberri_shortcake
    Options
    2ca4bc7f9efe25a0e76281edef2f75a6.jpg
    Why do mice have such small balls?
    Because so few of them can dance.
  • eleanorre
    eleanorre Posts: 313 Forumite
    Options
    My daughter won a family holiday from Tesco to Hawaii and there were only herself and husband. They made no compensation for only being two of them but that was fine .
  • sleepyjones
    sleepyjones Posts: 6,087 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Depends what the prize is ... if it's something you can get away with taking a friend on, even if you just pretend you're a couple then I'd probably do it, there's nothing in the terms that says "You must not pretend to be gay and invite your bestie" or anything, so go for it.

I wouldn't enter a "family" competition though.
  • purplecatlover
    Options
    I enter them. Unless it’s something I really wouldn’t use and couldn’t pass along to a friend or family member as a gift.
    Family holidays I have a friend with kids or my sister and her kids to take away with me, though if I get lucky enough to win one for a family of four I’d have to ask about paying to add a third child to the holiday, couples getaways spa days etc I can find a friend who will be delighted to come with me.
    Kids stuff as above. I have a niece and nephews and friends have kids. Kids toys and clothes therefore I can always easily use as gifts.
    I hesitate over some of the bride/wedding magazine comps. Depends on what the prize is whether I’ll enter or not.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure