Toilets and the law

Options
At work the ladies loos are out of order and told to use the mens. Many don’t like this as may come in the toilets with a male colleague in there.

Are there any laws about this?

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Why would there be? Plenty of unisex toilets exist. If you are using a cubicle what is the problem?
  • ohreally
    ohreally Posts: 7,525 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    This may be ok depending on impropriety. What's the arrangement?
    Don’t be a can’t, be a can.
  • dominqueobs
    dominqueobs Posts: 14 Forumite
    Options
    I think they just have to have locked cubicles, but I can imagine it being annoying if you're on your period and they've not provided a bin. How long are the women's out of use for?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Sounds like it is staff loo's...why can't you ask to use the public/customer facilities. This is what happened when I worked for a national hotel group and the back area was out of order for longer then say a few hours.
  • anamenottaken
    anamenottaken Posts: 4,198 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Sounds like it is staff loo's...why can't you ask to use the public/customer facilities. This is what happened when I worked for a national hotel group and the back area was out of order for longer then say a few hours.

Not all employers have loos for the public/customers as the only non-staff who may attend are business visitors who use the general (therefore staff) facilities.
  • steampowered
    steampowered Posts: 6,176 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    The relevant legislation is the Workplace (Health, Safety and Welfare) Regulations 1992. Regulation 20, Sanitary conveniences, states:

Suitable and sufficient sanitary conveniences shall be provided at readily accessible places.

Without prejudice to the generality of paragraph (1), sanitary conveniences shall not be suitable unless -

the rooms containing them are adequately ventilated and lit;

they and the rooms containing them are kept in a clean and orderly condition; and

separate rooms containing conveniences are provided for men and women except where and so far as each convenience is in a separate room the door of which is capable of being secured from inside.

The Approved code of practice goes on to give minimum numbers of facilities (see http://www.hse.gov.uk/contact/faqs/toilets.htm).
  • nicechap
    nicechap Posts: 2,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Without knowing all the ins and outs of the situation (just one toilet? Fixed time breaks?) there might be a discrimination angle if, for religious/ cultural reasons some women are prevented from using same ablution area, but, even in these circumstances, in extremis, needs outweigh practices.
    Originally Posted by shortcrust
    "Contact the Ministry of Fairness....If sufficient evidence of unfairness is discovered you’ll get an apology, a permanent contract with backdated benefits, a ‘Let’s Make it Fair!’ tshirt and mug, and those guilty of unfairness will be sent on a Fairness Awareness course."
  • 74jax
    74jax Posts: 7,923 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I think they just have to have locked cubicles, but I can imagine it being annoying if you're on your period and they've not provided a bin. How long are the women's out of use for?

Surely you could move a bin in there?
    Forty and fabulous, well that's what my cards say....
  • shortcrust
    shortcrust Posts: 2,697 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary Newshound!
    Options
    I'd expect a group of adults to cope with this situation without too much fuss.

What do the women who aren't happy about it want to happen?
  • dominqueobs
    dominqueobs Posts: 14 Forumite
    Options
    74jax wrote: »
    Surely you could move a bin in there?

Not just a bin, sanitary waste disposal bin(s).
    The Duty of Care Act means that as well as providing these conveniences, any sanitary waste must be managed to the point of disposal. This means that neither you or any of your employees can dispose of the contents of the bins. Only a licenced carrier can do this and a full audit trail of documentation must be available at all times. Failure to comply with this can lead to a large fine or even imprisonment.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure