Sub accounts less than £25K outstanding....

Options
Current mortgage - £100K. £80K of that is on an excellent lifetime tracker rate. 13 years or so left.

I did have special rate for £25K but thats ending soon. Problem is because balance on the sub accounts are less than £25K I can't switch this amount to its going back to SVR 4.25%.

I was considering getting a 10 year loan for £20K to pay this part off. Would this be good idea? Might tie up a huge chunk of my personal borrowing...

Other option, of course, is to add £5K to borrowing to enable to get a good deal.....

BUT I guess at some point in the future its going to go back under £25K again!
Cymru am Byth !!! :j:j:j

Comments

• getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    Borrow back up to 25k and overpay a lot over 5 years by then you can probably convert most to 0% through purchase CC.

Which lender? decent ones don't have such a high restriction.
  • paulfoel
    paulfoel Posts: 5,819 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Borrow back up to 25k and overpay a lot over 5 years by then you can probably convert most to 0% through purchase CC.

Which lender? decent ones don't have such a high restriction.

Yeh might do this. If I leave 21K on SVR it'll cost me £330 a year more in interest. If I borrow 25K for 5 years on a fixed rate it'll cost me £100 a year more for the £4K extra.

Worth doing.

Only problem is (and I did this before) its extra borrowing. I remember all the hoops/forms etc for a few extra K.

Lender is RBS
  • paulfoel
    Options
    Ah. Minimum extra borrowing is £10K. So I'd have to borrow £31K so maybe not so worth it.

Then again stick the £10K in a savings account and make overpayments every year as allowed (10%?) it may still be worth it.

Spoke to RBS and they said they were revising this £25K down to £10K.

Completely nuts that you can end up stuck with a portion of your mortgage on SVR and its more cost effective to borrow more.
  • MortgageMamma
    Options
    There are lenders who will do a remortgage for less than 25k, I've just made a quick call and got you a list whilst making a coffee.

Barclays, Coventry Building Society, Halifax, Leeds Building Society, Principality Building Society, Skipton Building Society, Santander, Virgin Money.

I am not saying you fit the criteria of these lenders, just felt you were in a position where you could benefit from a starting point if you are doing your own research.

If you want a broker to do the research, you will most likely have to pay a fee to supplement the commission from the mortgage lender, as its likely to be nil or virtually nothing for such a small loan amount.

Good luck.

Ps if you are interested in overpayments, read the lending criteria of each mortgage on the lenders website or do a live chat with them,

MM
    I am a Mortgage Adviser

You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • paulfoel
    Options
    Thanks but I dont want to lose the cracking lifetime tracker deal (base+1.1%) that I've got on the otehr £88K of my mortgage.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport