Parents unable to get doctor appointment after weeks of trying

Options
Hi,

My dad has developed an unknown problem, which means he’s gone from walking normally and going out on long walks, to barely being able to walk for 2 or 3 minutes without starting to be in severe pain. This is made worse by the fact that my mum is in a wheelchair and my dad is her carer, so if he is immobile then so is she.

He’s been trying to get a doctor’s appointment for almost 3 weeks now, but can’t. Their doctor has a ridiculous system whereby you cannot, under any circumstances, book any appointment in advance. You can only ever book on the day. So of course everyone calls at opening time, and the phones are constantly engaged. My parents have called every day for almost three weeks, redialling non-stop on 2 different phones concurrently, and still haven’t got an appointment.

I suggested going in person to the doctor’s at opening time, to ask for an appointment, but that is apparently not allowed.

I suggested going to their local walk-in centre, which my dad has done yesterday. But although they saw him, they said they couldn’t help as he needed a referral letter, and that this has to come from his own GP.

I suggested going to A&E, but their local A&E departments have closed so this isn’t an option either.

My dad is in such pain, plus of course the practical implications of not being able to walk and hence not look after either himself or my mum. It can’t be right that he just can’t do anything, what else should he be doing?

Thanks.

Comments

• Carrot007
    Carrot007 Posts: 4,534 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Surely you should be able to ask for an emergency appointment on the day. Not a normal appointment. Emergency must be see, unless they tell you to go to A&E.

And regardless if the local A&E has shut there will be an A&E for the area. And if the doctor's refuse you can ask for transport if needed.
  • Toothsmith
    Toothsmith Posts: 10,074 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Have you tried ringing to see if you can get through and make one? Or contacting the surgery to see if that is the only way to get an appointment?

Not sure how old you are, and by extension how old they are - but my parents aren't awfully savvy on telecommunication technology (Their own phones or some automated answering systems), And sometimes the things they've thought they've been told aren't always accurate either.
    How to find a dentist.
    1. Get recommendations from friends/family/neighbours/etc.
    2. Once you have a short-list, VISIT the practices - dont just phone. Go on the pretext of getting a Practice Leaflet.
    3. Assess the helpfulness of the staff and the level of the facilities.
    4. Only book initial appointment when you find a place you are happy with.
  • boots_babe
    boots_babe Posts: 3,234 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Carrot007 - you can ask for an 'emergency' appointment on the day, rather than just a 'normal' appointment on the day.

But because of the silly system whereby both normal and emergency appointments can only be booked on the day, the phone lines are jammed.

Toothsmith - I've not tried ringing myself. I understand what you're getting at, but actually my mum knows what she's doing. They're in their mid 70s, but due to their many medical issues, she is very au fait with procedures etc. They recently had to move doctor's because theirs closed, the old place used EMIS and let you book online which my mum happily did. But the new place doesn't offer that, or indeed much at all by the sounds of it - their reviews on the NHS site are awful.

I could look into where their 'nearest' A&E is as suggested, and whether transport could be arranged.

Is that really the only option though, that seems pretty awful.
  • Carrot007
    Carrot007 Posts: 4,534 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    boots_babe wrote: »
    Carrot007 - you can ask for an 'emergency' appointment on the day, rather than just a 'normal' appointment on the day.

You should be able to and they should treat it different. It all depends on what you say when you call them. If you don't say it's urgent trhey will not treat it as such.
  • Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,156 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I agree with the advice already provided.

- Emergency appointment (in my experience, "emergency" is patient-defined).

- A & E - there will be one that covers the area.

Also, when I first signed-on with my Doctor's surgery, they had a very restrictive booking system (the kind where appointments are only offered up to 14 days ahead, and consequently there are never any appointments).

I complained (to the Deputy Practice Manager) and they changed the system. You can now book up to 4 weeks in advance, and whilst that's not a direct solution for immediate appointments, it does push the problem forward in time, and give the Surgery the option to provide more appointments whilst they still can.
  • boots_babe
    Options
    They are of course saying that it is urgent! But the first problem is that they cannot get through in time, before all the appointments (urgent and non-urgent) have gone.

When they do finally get through and find all appointments are gone, they are very firm about the urgency. Although my parents are generally quite mild mannered and quiet, they've learned through the years that with medical issues you sometimes have to really push yourself forward to get anywhere.

So they have definitely been doing that, and also highlighting that my dad is a carer too.
  • Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,156 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I think they are going to have to speak to someone in charge at the Surgery and make their situation clear to them.

Also, I appreciate that you said that this wasn't an option, but most reception desks are inclined to prioritise people standing in the Surgery over those on the phone.
  • boots_babe
    Options
    I tend to agree Cornucopia. When I suggested going in, they said that this was something the surgery used to allow, but stopped it because they had people queuing out the door every day.

However I guess that going in to make an appointment may not be allowed, but going in to ask to see the practice manager must surely be ok, I will suggest that they try this.
  • mickey54
    mickey54 Posts: 383 Forumite
    Options
    boots_babe wrote: »
    They are of course saying that it is urgent! But the first problem is that they cannot get through in time, before all the appointments (urgent and non-urgent) have gone.

When they do finally get through and find all appointments are gone, they are very firm about the urgency. Although my parents are generally quite mild mannered and quiet, they've learned through the years that with medical issues you sometimes have to really push yourself forward to get anywhere.

So they have definitely been doing that, and also highlighting that my dad is a carer too.

Personally, I would ask for an emergency doctors home visit, they would soon find an appointment.

My GP surgery does a telephone consultation first, to assess if an appt is necessary or urgent.
  • boots_babe
    Options
    Thank you, I hadn't even thought of that. I don't know if the surgery offer home visits (or maybe they have to?), but I'll definitely suggest this to my parents.

My GP does phone consultations too, it's a great system. You get to be heard without taking up an appointment for something that doesn't warrant it, but if following the phone call you're deemed in need of an appointment, they'll book you one.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure