New cyclist

Options
2»

Comments

• Johnmcl7
    Johnmcl7 Posts: 2,817 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I don't get punctures that often and prefer to simply use another inner tube as there's no guarantees a sealant will correctly be able to seal the damage.

After starting out with a belt drive I wouldn't recommend one. To begin with it seemed great as it was quiet all the time and didn't need frequent cleaning and oiling despite cycling through the rain and poor conditions in winter. However the first belt failed prematurely at just two years old and around 2,000 miles, I wrote to Gates to find out this was normal as when I bought the belt they were claiming it would last the life of the bike. They replied stating that since I had used the belt in wet conditions regularly I had shortened the life of the belt despite them promoting the belt for all weather use.

There's many downsides to the belt drive in addition to that, the belt is far more expensive than a chain, the belt can't be repaired on the fly like a chain can with quicklinks, you need to have a gap in the frame to fit the belt, you can't use derailleurs and the belt parts are not easily found in bike shops. As a result all my bikes are chain drive now and even thought I ride in horrendous conditions off road through the winter, the chains hold up fine and managed better life than the belt did. They do need a bit more cleaning and oiling but not that much and worth it for the many advantages.
  • Tobster86
    Options
    Johnmcl7 wrote: »
    After starting out with a belt drive I wouldn't recommend one.

Which generation out of interest? The research I did before buying suggested several major design iterations over the years that radically solved a lot of issues, mostly with the sprocket guide mechanisms, that's taken their suitability for wet mud and snow from non-existent to "arguably preferable".
  • Kojak12
    Kojak12 Posts: 70 Forumite
    Options
    You can get some decent backpacks. As they are not on your bike there are no balance issues or security issues if you leave your bike. You can fit tonnes into them, puncture repair kit at the bottom with your lunch and water, a rain mac, wallet, phone... and that still leaves some room for a flare gun if you want to be super prepared!

I got a foam Qbag motorcycle backpack as the straps and fit were much better than a generic sports backpack. Just found my bag at a massive discount if you are interested bike backpack £12.99! I can recommend it.
  • Johnmcl7
    Johnmcl7 Posts: 2,817 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Tobster86 wrote: »
    Which generation out of interest? The research I did before buying suggested several major design iterations over the years that radically solved a lot of issues, mostly with the sprocket guide mechanisms, that's taken their suitability for wet mud and snow from non-existent to "arguably preferable".

The improvements relax the tension and alignment requirements which initially were strict, the modifications add a central line to the belt which helps keep it in place but it doesn't improve the long term durability aside from making it slightly less vulnerable to premature wear. They're definitely not "arguably preferable" for wet mud and snow (unless you're going by the Gates' own information in which case they've always said that) where they're vulnerable to snapping.

Furthermore the improvements to the system don't improve most of the other issues I've mentioned above. I think it's a great idea on paper and possibly still fine for drier countries but after using the system myself and initially being a fan, I couldn't recommend it with all the downsides.
  • parking_question_chap
    Options
    You can buy a mini pump that will attach to the bike and keep an inner in a light backpack. Walking with a bike isnt much fun.
  • Afourteen
    Options
    No1 - a Proper Bike Helmet! get one that fits comfortably. If possible buy one with a rear light included.

No1a - a 'Neck gaiter' e.g. search Neck Gaiter or Head Tube - keeps your head and neck warm without restricting vision etc. Make sure your helmit fits comfortably where wearing both.

Mudgards - definately.

No2 - A Cycling Jacket - Bright coloured, hopefully waterproof with a pocket for 'phone'. Make sure it fits closely. Carry some cash with your phone.

I'd go for 'Frame Bag' or a 'Tool Bottle' (fits in the bottle holder). In that carry

3 Tyre levers.

A 'Box' spanner to fit wheel Nuts (and before you ride , make sure you can undo and do the nuts up)

At least one inner tube and a puncture repair kit,If you finding using a small hand pump to difficult (and the new ones arn't really efficient enough IMHO) then a CO2 inflator and cartridges - search co2 inflator for bikes.

Lights LED ones can cheap (under a fiver) or really expensive. Flashing ones help you to be seen. If you do a lot of night cycling one fairly bright on continous and one, not as bright 'Flashing' At rear one really bright flashing light. And use the flashing ones during the day for own safety (most police prefer you to be safe rather than following the rule of law).

Finally, a 'cheap' Action cam to record your rides.
  • CarolynRach
    Options
    Get a decent lock - ideally a D-lock which fits onto your frame so you never forget it. Even just for short stops - lock it! Opportunistic thieves can work quickly.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure