Filling in loan application form - residential status.

Options
I'm going to apply for a personal loan, but I'm not sure what to put about my living circumstances.

I live with someone who was my partner, but we've had 'the talk' and acknowledged that we're now just friends. So ex-partner now, I guess. He has a mortagage on the property we live in, and I've never been on that mortgage. I don't pay rent.

There isn't really a category for that situation on loan application forms! I don't know what to put, and which option would give me the best chance of being accepted for a loan. I'm not a homeowner - he is the homeowner. I'm not a private tenant either, because I have no contract and don't pay rent.

Also, household income... I should list my partner/ex-partner's salary, right? For the sake of simplicity, is it better just to apply as though we're still partners? I still don't know what to put for the residential status question, though.

Thanks for any advice, I'm a bit confused! Sorry if I'm asking a question that's been asked before - I did do a search but didn't come up with anything.

Comments

• MovingForwards
    Options
    What are all the housing options?

No, you don't list your ex's salary as you are not together.
    Mortgage started 2020, aiming to clear it in 2026.
  • WonderingWanderer
    Options
    Options for housing situation...
    Homeowner with mortgage
    Homeowner without mortgage
    Private tenant
    Council tenant
    Living with parents

Options for relationship status...
    Single
    Married/Civil Partnership
    Living with Partner
    Widowed
    Divorced

Some ask for any other household income, eg partner's salary.

My wage is pretty low, so the only thing I've got going for me is that I haven't got the outgoing of rent... but then they'd want to know how so, surely?
  • Ben8282
    Ben8282 Posts: 4,821 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Newshound!
    Options
    Low wage individual living rent free without tenancy agreement with ex -partner.
    Seems a very insecure and dangerous arrangement. Are you sure you should be applying for/taking out a loan at this time?
  • Socajam
    Socajam Posts: 1,238 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    If I was the ex-partner, I would not be happy if you list my details for any loan application.

If there is an "Other" on the form: put living with a friend.
  • WonderingWanderer
    Options
    There isn't an 'other' option - I'd have ticked it if there had been. What do you mean by his details, Socajam, and why?

Ben8282 not ideally, no, but I feel it's necessary. Things are very amicable, though, and ex-partner is sure that I can stay for the forseeable future.
  • Ben8282
    Ben8282 Posts: 4,821 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Newshound!
    Options
    Have you previously applied for credit since living with your ex-partner at this address? If yes would suggest giving the same answers as previously given.
  • Socajam
    Socajam Posts: 1,238 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    You asked this question and hence my answer.

Also, household income... I should list my partner/ex-partner's salary, right? For the sake of simplicity, is it better just to apply as though we're still partners? I still don't know what to put for the residential status question, though.

None of this should be on your loan application form.
    As you will find on here and I am one of those who would never allow anyone to add my salary etc to their loan application.
    If you cannot obtain a loan on your loan, then it means that you cannot borrow the bank's money. Sorry it seems hard, but when you have been screwed by close family/friends as I have, also I have read enough situations on here hence my stance.
  • WonderingWanderer
    Options
    Socajam would that in any way affect his credit score, then? I understand why that wouldn't be good, if so. My question was because on the MSE eligibility calculator, it says:
    Please tell us about any other household income you'll receive over the next 12 months. Include things like your partner's salary, savings or investments income and any income from rental property.

He is part of the household, in fact, it’s his household, seeing as he owns the house! So are you saying that I shouldn’t say anything about his income,then? Aren’t they going to wonder how the mortgage/rent gets paid? And what should I put for my living circumstances?

Ben8282 I applied for a credit card at the beginning of the year, which was accepted, and I said that I was living with my partner, which I was. I can’t remember whether she asked me about his salary, but if she had then I would have told her.
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,553 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If you flatshared with a friend in their property, would you include their income as ‘household income’?
  • Terry_Towelling
    Options
    You are a private tenant and single. The loan will be in your name only and be repaid from your income alone, not from anyone else's. You have no entitlement to any of your ex-partner's income or assets.

The household income questions are designed to assess how much you can afford to borrow and repay. You are clearly not expecting your ex-partner to pay your loan for you from his income, so his income should not be included to assess how much you can afford to borrow.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure