Free solar power system. Is it a scam?

Options

Comments

• Gizmosmum_2
    Options
    I'm not sure if I'm over cautious but I don't seem to be hearing about anyone having structural surveys of the roof before installation is taking place.

A friend of mine had panels installed just before Christmas and her installer included in the cost of the solar panels a structural survey. The roof looked ok to me but the surveyor said it didn't meet today's standards and there was no guarantee that the panels would withstand that once in 25 years wind or snow load.

Although it slowed the install down a bit it didn't cost my friend anymore because the installer covered the extra cost of extra roof mounting kit and strengthening needed to make sure the roof is secure.

I thought this was a good service, it cost £250 for the survey but the price for the install was reasonable anyway. I suppose the question is was it really necessary or could the system have been £250 cheaper?? And maybe as much of a point if you're going down the free route what happens if you haven't had a structural survey and the wind takes your panels off the roof, damaging it in the process? Does your insurance cover you??
    Target of wind & watertight by Sept 2011 :D
  • Jon_Tiffany
    Options
    I'd estimate that around 90% of the output is produced in the four hours around midday (could anyone come up with an accurate figure?), so that period becomes is the substantive issue.

54% is generated in the four hours around midday.

Calculated using data found here:

http://www.navitron.org.uk/forum/index.php/topic,12342.15.html

The remaining 46% of the output is spread over a period of 13 hours at much lower outputs, so more likely to be consumed within the house.
  • grahamc2003
    grahamc2003 Posts: 1,771 Forumite
    Options
    54% is generated in the four hours around midday.

Calculated using data found here:

http://www.navitron.org.uk/forum/index.php/topic,12342.15.html

The remaining 46% of the output is spread over a period of 13 hours at much lower outputs, so more likely to be consumed within the house.

I can't find your source data, but surely something is incorrect since you are saying the panels generate, on average, for 17 hours per day. Is that correct?
  • Jon_Tiffany
    Options
    I can't find your source data, but surely something is incorrect since you are saying the panels generate, on average, for 17 hours per day. Is that correct?

No you have misunderstood. I did not say that the panels generate for average of 17 hours per day. 17 hours is the range over which the output is spread.

I.e.

Earliest generation starts between 4 and 5am
    Latest generation is between 9 and 10pm

It is available for anyone to download from the link provided earlier, look at post number 20 and you will see the link for the data, its not hard to find.

If you are still having trouble finding the data just PM me and I'll email you a copy.
  • XRayDave
    Options
    Gizmosmum wrote: »
    I'm not sure if I'm over cautious but I don't seem to be hearing about anyone having structural surveys of the roof before installation is taking place.
    Hi

ASG carried out a structural survey on the roof a couple of weeks before the install - just to check that the roof structure was suitable for the load - measuring the size of the joists etc. As with all work carried out by ASG - this was at no cost to us.

I'd be very surprised (not to say alarmed :eek:) if a company - either "rent-a-roof" kind or a manufacturer/supplier/installer - didn't do a survey of the roof, and if it was for a purchased system, I'd be very surprised if this was an extra cost :shocked:.

Hope this helps,

Happy New Year

XRD
  • Gizmosmum_2
    Options
    XRayDave wrote: »
    Hi

ASG carried out a structural survey on the roof a couple of weeks before the install - just to check that the roof structure was suitable for the load - measuring the size of the joists etc. As with all work carried out by ASG - this was at no cost to us.

I'd be very surprised (not to say alarmed :eek:) if a company - either "rent-a-roof" kind or a manufacturer/supplier/installer - didn't do a survey of the roof, and if it was for a purchased system, I'd be very surprised if this was an extra cost :shocked:.

Hope this helps,

Happy New Year

XRD
    I suppose extra costs just depends on whether the company identifies it seperately or includes it in the price. This particular company identified it as part of the cost.

There seems to be several types of "surveys" out there at the minute. The "I want to sell a system" - 20 min survey with a price at the end of it. The thorough installer survey which includes measuring the roof structure, checking the electrcis and completing a sap assessment which takes about 60 - 90 mins and then a structural survey in addition to the through installer survey, where drawings are created, pressure points calculated and corresponding strengthening carried out to ensure the extra load on the roof will withstand freak wind/snow loads.

It's the latter that this friend had carried out and it turned out that the pressure points where the roof mounting system was going to be installed were too far apart, meaning that if there was a greater than normal wind the trusses with roof fixings on would be carrying too much weight. ould be a load of old tosh for all I know but I do know there are people carrying out "structural" surveys that aren't qualified in the conventional structural surveying sense... maybe it doesn't matter, if your insurance covers the freak wind/snow etc ....
  • beedydad
    Options
    XRayDave wrote: »
    For those of you interested...

For Nov, total generated o/p from our 3.3kWp ASG system was 138kWh. Two days towards the end of the month produced 11 & 12kWh respectively.

For Dec (up to Mon 20th) the panels have only produced 77kWh but 4 of those days produced zero (panels covered with snow) and three days we only got 1kWh. With leaden grey skies, we seem to get 2-4kWh and on the odd day where we get clear-blue sunny winter skies, we have had 3x11kWh and a 10!

So, from install in 2nd June we have generated 1780kWh. Not too shabby then :)

So, based on 50% usage (rough guess) and 10p/kWh (reasonable unit cost), this has saved just about £90 (which I'd rather have in my pocket than the power company's).

Season's Greetings to all,

XRD

What I find extrordinary is that whilst you have been seemingly pleased with the generated power and you and others are argueing over how much of this you have actually used - may be 50% +/-

The main issue over "free" or "rent a roof" is that there can be no arguing over the easy money earnt by the company who owns the system. They don't care a jot about what you do, whether you change your way of living, purchase timers to bring on gizmos to ake advantage of the best of times of days - you have to do all that!!

They just sit in their offices enjoying the power generated which then equates to money in the bank for them with no further effort!! (oh maybe a service or 2 inthe future - just to make sure the system functions at max benefit!!)

Anyway based on your figures they have earned to date:-

1780 x 41.3p = £735.14
    1780 x 3p x 50% = £ 26.70

A grand total of £761.84 -

Which is probably about 10 x what you have gained - that is if you can accurately calculate the figure.

Finally i would think your move of supplier to change from 13.5 down to under 10p has probably/will have saved you much more than anything you have gained from solar!!

Regards
  • grahamc2003
    grahamc2003 Posts: 1,771 Forumite
    Options
    beedydad wrote: »
    What I find extrordinary is that whilst you have been seemingly pleased with the generated power and you and others are argueing over how much of this you have actually used - may be 50% +/-

The main issue over "free" or "rent a roof" is that there can be no arguing over the easy money earnt by the company who owns the system. They don't care a jot about what you do, whether you change your way of living, purchase timers to bring on gizmos to ake advantage of the best of times of days - you have to do all that!!

They just sit in their offices enjoying the power generated which then equates to money in the bank for them with no further effort!! (oh maybe a service or 2 inthe future - just to make sure the system functions at max benefit!!)

Anyway based on your figures they have earned to date:-

1780 x 41.3p = £735.14
    1780 x 3p x 50% = £ 26.70

A grand total of £761.84 -

Which is probably about 10 x what you have gained - that is if you can accurately calculate the figure.

Finally i would think your move of supplier to change from 13.5 down to under 10p has probably/will have saved you much more than anything you have gained from solar!!

Regards

Another point along those lines - for the roof renter to get his cut (say £80 in his case), all consumers have to pay about £840+ (£80 to the renter, £760 to the owner, plus unspecified amounts for systems development to support the scheme). Add in other such schemes loaded onto bills, and it's clear that the cost per consumer either exceeds, or will soon exceed, the renter benefit (£80) - and at that point, even those getting the 'free' electricity are losing out overall. Their glee is really not due to any gain, but just to a loss less than those not with a 'free' system.
  • Gizmosmum_2
    Options
    All true, but ASG etc have taken the risk with the banks. It's them who will be in the sh*t if the government retracts the FiT not the householder. I don't really see any difference between this and any other commercial operation/investment. The greater the risk the greater the return.
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,037 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Gizmosmum wrote: »
    All true, but ASG etc have taken the risk with the banks. It's them who will be in the sh*t if the government retracts the FiT not the householder. I don't really see any difference between this and any other commercial operation/investment. The greater the risk the greater the return.

Why would the Government retract the FIT? After all it isn't the Government who pay the FIT.

What risk is there?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport