PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Food Waste Audit Diary May 2019

Options

Comments

• gt568
    gt568 Posts: 2,497 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    One way to reduce waste is only buy what you are going to cook! And it saves money. Our food waste bin is only peel and skins, nothing else. On Saturday we has stir fry fridge bitsers, all the left overs from the week into the pan and served up.

This is a great point, I buy what I need to cook the meals I've planned. Ergo, no waste.
    {Signature removed by Forum Team}
  • thriftwizard
    thriftwizard Posts: 4,668 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hmm - you can use onion skins for making stock, or for dyeing; in my book, using them for something productive means they're not actually wasted. Compost certainly isn't a waste (speak to my runner beans!) and nor is boiling up all our veg peelings & gone-over fruit to feed the chickens. So whilst I'm totally in sympathy with the idea of not wasting food, & rarely do so, I'm not quite on board with the definition of waste as above.
    Angie - GC April 24 £532.07/£480 - oops: 2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 10/68: (Money's just a substitute for time & talent...)
  • -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,506 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I'm sort of the same. I don't count compostable waste as waste because its the bits of veg that I can't eat or use.

However, I have had a fair amount of flowers lately, which also go on the compost so I don't know where they'd be in terms of waste....

And pleased to be nowhere near the predicted amount of waste food.

But will investigate and record just to see....
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
  • tighteningthebelt
    Options
    I'm not quite on board with the definition of waste as above.
    Not sure I am either! (that's why I wrote so much in the first post, and indeed why I contacted the guy in the first place) but I'm going to run with it for this month. All good fun!! :)
    A bit of grin and bear it, a bit of come and share it
    You're welcome we can spare it, yellow socks
  • tighteningthebelt
    Options
    Day One...
    People - 1 for breakfast, 1 for lunch, 2 for tea (or dinner, as you like).

Today I had 115g of unavoidable waste.
    I'll list it in case you good folk have better ideas...
    2 teabags
    1 tablespoonish coffee grounds
    skins off smoked mackerel
    dried up ends of rhubarb, cut close
    pepper tops/ cores/ seeds
    top and very bottom of carrot cut close

30g of Avoidable waste
    Shreds of lettuce, you know the bits that go orangey at the edges
    carrot peel x 3 stripes where there was a bit of damage
    spring onion outer layer and some of the tops where it had dried up

(I accept I can improve on the salad items, it's a while since I bought them)
    (pineapple carried forward to tomorrow, we're having a food waste staring match at present!!)
  • tighteningthebelt
    Options
    I always end up with bread crusts left too.
    Sounds like you do well! If I have leftover bread I sometimes put it in the liquidiser to make crumbs, then freeze them for toppings for pasta bakes or cauliflower cheese etc. I don't flavour them up til I'm going to use them.
    Mostly I don't have bread left though, if DS is here it goes quickly, if he isn't I keep it in the freezer and take out a slice or two at a time.
  • tighteningthebelt
    Options
    What about the kitchen floor sweepings... should i be weighing those in too?? :undecided
  • Fire_Fox
    Fire_Fox Posts: 26,026 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm doing a tight audit of food waste for May 2019. I don't waste much, but there's always room for improvement with all these skills. I welcome any advice, or anybody who wants to do it along with me.

There are three categories of waste food; avoidable, unavoidable, and possibly avoidable.
    Broadly speaking
    'Avoidable' is food that could have been eaten at some point, but that has spoiled due to being left too long, examples might be mouldy bread or liquefied cucumber.
    'Unavoidable' is things like banana or pineapple skins, eggshells, used teabags, that were never edible.
    'Possibly avoidable' is things like peelings, which some people might eat and other not.

(I did briefly consider whether 'unavoidable' can even be classed as 'waste', the word waste implies carelessness and even extravagance to my mind, but I don't want to get too hung up on that, the figures have to be comparable or else it isn't a challenge at all!!)

Interesting challenge and thought-provoking definitions. Thank you doing this in public. :) I have been reporting my avoidable food waste on the 'Cooking for One' thread. However that is just my food and drink, not the other member of my household: my little cat.

To me tea bags and coffee grounds are 'possibly avoidable'. Humans do not need to drink anything other than water in a healthy, balanced diet [no I do not practice what I preach :p] Additionally many tea bags or coffee grounds could be reused or shared but are not. Even those people who reuse or share at home may not when getting a brew from cafes/ coffee shops/ fast food outlets.
    One way to reduce waste is only buy what you are going to cook! And it saves money. Our food waste bin is only peel and skins, nothing else. On Saturday we has stir fry fridge bitsers, all the left overs from the week into the pan and served up.

I don't think it is as simple as that, especially for small households. Not every grocery store or supermarket offers a wide range of fruit and veg loose, plus without protective packaging many fresh fruit and vegetables degrade quickly.

For singletons there can be a choice between eating a restricted or monotonous diet with relatively low food waste, or a properly varied diet with relatively high food waste. :(

Buying smaller amounts of fresh food more frequently can have cost implications too, on transportation and/ or because you are tempted into impulse purchases. In some cases (eg. small 'local'/ urban supermarkets) individual loose produce is as expensive as a bulk bag elsewhere (large supermarkets)!
    Hmm - you can use onion skins for making stock, or for dyeing; in my book, using them for something productive means they're not actually wasted. Compost certainly isn't a waste (speak to my runner beans!) and nor is boiling up all our veg peelings & gone-over fruit to feed the chickens. So whilst I'm totally in sympathy with the idea of not wasting food, & rarely do so, I'm not quite on board with the definition of waste as above.

I can see why composted waste is included. As Tighteningthebelt says "the figures have to be comparable". It allows for a comparison between households that do and do not compost (choice), or between households who can and cannot compost (facilities).

Producing avoidable food waste impacts the environment: the land on which it was grown or produced, the packaging for sale and or transport, the 'air miles' or 'road miles' and so on.

Reducing landfill exactly as you do is how I was brought up, yet my food waste and packaging waste is unacceptably high. :o If I was able to compost that would potentially mask rather than tackling my issue. :o

My comments are not a covert 'dig' - pardon the pun - at you or any other Old Styler who composts or feeds food waste to their animals. I am quite sure you are doing as much as you can to reduce overbuying and use up leftovers. But many households are not, including mine.
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
  • AnimalTribe
    AnimalTribe Posts: 245 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    top and very bottom of carrot cut close

I appreciate this might be taking things too far for you, but you can regrow carrot tops fairly easily in water and the leaves are edible. A lot of kitchen scraps can be regrown, which is fun for kids to do.

https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/special/children/grow-carrot-tops.htm

https://www.google.com/search?q=carrot+leaves+edible&oq=carrot+leaves+edible&aqs=chrome..69i57.5021j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

It's ages since I've made breadcrumbs, but now you've reminded me the next crusts (which nobody in the house likes as sandwiches) might end up that way - lovely on top of a cauliflower cheese.
  • tighteningthebelt
    Options
    i didn't know carrot leaves were edible... how much there is to learn here!

i'll weigh it in later, but must make a confession, I have just found half a jar of mouldy pesto in the fridge oh... the shame
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family