MSE News: Waitrose to get rid of disposable cups - if you're a MyWaitrose customer, you'll need to b

Options

Comments

• DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,906 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I must trot my "free" reusable cup (cheers, Starb*) to Booth to see how they manage the "free brew in your own cup" malarkey.

I may then mention whatever technique I've observed to the local Waitrose.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I find it a bit of an odd thing that you see folk walking around the other supermarkets getting their shopping without the need to be clutching a cup of coffee in their hands. Tesco's Asdas Sainsburys etc, yet it seems only Waitrose customers need to be filled with caffeine to be able to shop.

I know its free but I find that if I want a cup of coffee ( very rarely ) I don't think I would need to be shopping for my groceries at the same time.I use a stick to walk with so pushing a trolley and juggling a hot coffee plus handbag etc I would need an extra arm or two. :)
    If I felt the need for a coffee I want to be able to sit down and drink it in peace (preferably at home )
    It seems today everyone has to be walking holding either a cup of coffee or a bottle of water We don't live in a country where you will dehydrate without the need for a drink every ten minutes for goodness sake

Plus why is every person who makes a cup of coffee now called 'barista's its a pretentious name for someone who basically pours out coffee made by a machine.

They didn't go out and pick the flaming stuff or grow it in their back yard.You don't go into a greasy spoon and ask for a cup of coffee and expect a 'trained' barista to dish it up For goodness sake I have never heard such pretentious rubbish in all my life .

How do you need training to pour out a cup of coffee from one of those huge great gurgling machines.
    Back in the 1960s the coffee bars where you got your 'frothy coffee' was just that a coffee bar no one has such a silly name for the assistants

One of my DGS works part time in a local cafe in the local shopping mall and yet when he is at home his coffee is revolting The machine does the work the assistant just pours it out, and the company charge a fortune for it.

No doubt about it fools and their money are easily parted
  • tommix
    tommix Posts: 41,256 Forumite
    Options
    glider3560 wrote: »

I always get called "Sir" in Waitrose.

They salute me..:beer:
  • jon81uk
    jon81uk Posts: 3,773 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    JackieO wrote: »
    Plus why is every person who makes a cup of coffee now called 'barista's its a pretentious name for someone who basically pours out coffee made by a machine.

Most of the effort in barista made coffee is the foaming of the milk and mixing it into the espresso correctly and that should be worth paying for if it is being done well. At Starbucks I don't think they do, but Costa take a little more time and care.

This is why its only the machine coffee thats free, paying for someone to make the coffee with effort and skill takes more money.
  • roddydogs
    roddydogs Posts: 7,478 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    So wny is Costa coffee orrible but WR isnt?
  • NBLondon
    NBLondon Posts: 5,532 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Because you have no tastebuds?

The Waitrose coffee is alright but nothing spectacular - not worth £2.95 they charge if you don't have a card. Pret a Manger are comparable. Costa or Caffe Nero are better.
    Wash your Knobs and Knockers... Keep the Postie safe!
  • robin58
    robin58 Posts: 2,802 Forumite
    Options
    tommix wrote: »
    They salute me..:beer:

One or two fingers?
    The more I live, the more I learn.
    The more I learn, the more I grow.
    The more I grow, the more I see.
    The more I see, the more I know.
    The more I know, the more I see,
    How little I know.!! ;)
  • POPPYOSCAR
    POPPYOSCAR Posts: 14,897 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I have been sent a coupon in an email for £3 off one of their reusable cups.

Anyone know how much they are?
  • Doc_N
    Doc_N Posts: 8,271 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    POPPYOSCAR wrote: »

Probably not much more than that - bought one a couple of years back, and it was around the £3 mark.
  • kiwi07
    kiwi07 Posts: 1,691 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    POPPYOSCAR wrote: »

£3

No coupon for me
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills