Anyone take their bikes onto trains for travelling

Options

Comments

• Johnmcl7
    Johnmcl7 Posts: 2,817 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    But will the airport store it for you ready for the return flight?

That was exactly the problem, I could stomach paying £42 for the bike if the airline prepared it but I couldn't see how it would be workable packing it myself as I'd be able to do it on the way down but not on the way back.

John
  • Johnmcl7
    Options
    jack_pott wrote: »
    Are you going via London? The Underground is another kettle of fish, there's no booking, but bikes are not allowed on the deep tunnels, and not allowed during the rush hour.

That was the plan and the difficulty would be that I could only take one or two trains as over that distance it takes most of the day to travel. I would have been taking the bike straight out of London but all out the window now anyway.

It's frustrating not to be able to have a bike and train option but that's the reality it seems.
  • redux
    redux Posts: 22,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I haven't taken a bike on the train, but I did enquire recently.

CrossCountry website says those trains have 3 spaces, 2 of which are reservable. It talks about booking by Facebook or Twitter, or at station, maybe via website.

I phoned up and asked if I would be able to book by phone at 1 or 2 or 3 hours notice. Yes, and 2 sample trains I asked about did have space.
  • House_Martin
    House_Martin Posts: 1,462 Forumite
    edited 10 April 2018 at 8:56AM
    Options
    I would be very happy to see ALL cyclists banned from all trains unless they use a folding bike and are able to fold it small . I have a little small wheeled folder, with only one gear which packs up to no more than a large briefcase. It only cost me £40 too and is fine for a few miles around the towns getting to work or an appointment.
    No wonder cyclists get a bad press when they selfishly board commuter trains at the busy hours with huge big mountain bikes with wheels the size of motorbike wheels.

The other day when I was returning from Sheffield at the busy 4 pm to 6 pm slot when this ignorant ill mannered man barges into the very crowded train with his stupid mountain bike , knocking into peoples ankles (including mine ) blocking access to all 3 fold down seats at the end of the carriages near the doors.. When asked politely to move his muddy bike by an old lady he continued to bleat on about his rights to bring the filthy oily thing onto the train .
    He did nt have any rights whatsover to take up so much room at the busy 5pm rush hour with many people standing up .4 bikes to a train is supposed to be the maximum allowed but this is at the discretion of the guard to keep them out at busy periods
    .No wonder many standing commuters were tut tutting and glaring at him at at the same time joining the anti cyclist club.
    Ban them all at all times.Only folding bikes, folded up should be allowed, at the discretion of the Guard
  • KeithP
    KeithP Posts: 37,650 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The other day when I was returning from Sheffield at the busy 4 am to 6 am slot...
    Wow!!

I didn't know Sheffield was that busy so early in the morning. :D
  • Johnmcl7
    Options
    Amusingly I did see an advert on Facebook promoting cyclists to take their bikes onto trains and as per the topic here, the comments were filled with irritated cyclists pointing out how difficult or impossible it is to actually take the bike on a train.

I've given up on the idea completely and now hoping for trips within Scotland I can get my fitness and endurance up to do back to back century rides so I no longer need the train.

John
  • esuhl
    esuhl Posts: 9,409 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I would be very happy to see ALL cyclists banned from all trains unless they use a folding bike and are able to fold it small . I have a little small wheeled folder, with only one gear which packs up to no more than a large briefcase. It only cost me £40 too and is fine for a few miles around the towns getting to work or an appointment.
    No wonder cyclists get a bad press when they selfishly board commuter trains at the busy hours with huge big mountain bikes with wheels the size of motorbike wheels.

The other day when I was returning from Sheffield at the busy 4 pm to 6 pm slot when this ignorant ill mannered man barges into the very crowded train with his stupid mountain bike , knocking into peoples ankles (including mine ) blocking access to all 3 fold down seats at the end of the carriages near the doors.. When asked politely to move his muddy bike by an old lady he continued to bleat on about his rights to bring the filthy oily thing onto the train .
    He did nt have any rights whatsover to take up so much room at the busy 5pm rush hour with many people standing up .4 bikes to a train is supposed to be the maximum allowed but this is at the discretion of the guard to keep them out at busy periods
    .No wonder many standing commuters were tut tutting and glaring at him at at the same time joining the anti cyclist club.
    Ban them all at all times.Only folding bikes, folded up should be allowed, at the discretion of the Guard

If you're the sort of person who has a chip on their shoulder about other sorts of people using public transport... don't use public transport! Or get a first class ticket where you don't need to share your space with scruffy ruffians! :rotfl:
  • House_Martin
    House_Martin Posts: 1,462 Forumite
    Options
    The only "chip I have on my shoulder " is ignorant disrespectful cyclists getting us all a bad name. I m a very keen cyclist myself.
    I m starting to understand why some motorists have declared war on us.
    Too many idiots on bikes who think they own the moral high ground.
    The train companies owe it to their fare paying passengers to clamp down on cyclists dragging in a huge heavy machine with tyres 4 inch across which takes up more room than two more standing passengers. The Guards can t be watching every carriage at stops to send them packing with an "on yer bike " and they creep on subjecting proper fare paying passengers to oil stains from their chains and rapped ankles.
    If they want to use public transport why can t they be sensible and get the suitable machine for loading on trains..
    Folding bike ! Folded up ! There are some real beauties around now which are delight to ride, light and they fold up very compact in a jiffy.
  • redux
    redux Posts: 22,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The only "chip I have on my shoulder " is ignorant disrespectful cyclists getting us all a bad name. I m a very keen cyclist myself.
    I m starting to understand why some motorists have declared war on us.
    Too many idiots on bikes who think they own the moral high ground.
    The train companies owe it to their fare paying passengers to clamp down on cyclists dragging in a huge heavy machine with tyres 4 inch across which takes up more room than two more standing passengers. The Guards can t be watching every carriage at stops to send them packing with an "on yer bike " and they creep on subjecting proper fare paying passengers to oil stains from their chains and rapped ankles.
    If they want to use public transport why can t they be sensible and get the suitable machine for loading on trains..
    Folding bike ! Folded up ! There are some real beauties around now which are delight to ride, light and they fold up very compact in a jiffy.

You are right to suggest that full size bikes just shouldn't be in the ordinary compartments.

But several budget folding bikes with 20 inch wheels don't actually seem to be significantly smaller than taking the wheels off a full size bike (which leaves the chain hanging though; I'm not recommending).

The quite popular Brompton, with smaller wheels and folds significantly smaller than its rivals, is difficult to find secondhand under £500. A couple of days ago one with a broken rear triangle (£150 to replace, or maybe a clever insert and brazing repair, not sure) went for £320.
  • gazzak_2
    gazzak_2 Posts: 473 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    jack_pott wrote: »
    Are you going via London? The Underground is another kettle of fish, there's no booking, but bikes are not allowed on the deep tunnels, and not allowed during the rush hour.

As quoted, bikes are not allowed on rush hour trains, (fold ups are fine). However I used to take my mountain bike from North Harrow to Watford on the Metropolitan line during rush hour which is basically the opposite way to all rush hour traffic in the morning. There used to be the odd person on my rush hour train but it was basically empty. The staff let me on to the platform every day as they knew there would be nobody on it.

This all ended one day when a different member of staff decided they were sticking to the rules no matter what!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure