leg muscles

Options
Hi,
My leg muscles are getting weaker, I walk most days with the dog for approx an hour plus walking about just doing other stuff. I was thinking about trying ankle, would these help?
I can't do much exercise as I have stage 2 COPD and problems with my knees and back ( waiting for a bone scan) but I do need to try something.
I'm early 70's
Treat other's how you like to be treated.

Harry born 23/09/2008
New baby grandson, Louie born 28/06/2012,
Proud nanny to two beautiful boys :j
And now I have the joy of having my foster granddaughter becoming my real granddaughter. Can't ask for anything better

UPDATE,
As of today 180919. my granddaughter is now my official granddaughter, adoption finally granted

Comments

• downshifter
    downshifter Posts: 1,122 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    harrys_nan wrote: »
    Hi,
    My leg muscles are getting weaker, I walk most days with the dog for approx an hour plus walking about just doing other stuff. I was thinking about trying ankle, would these help?
    I can't do much exercise as I have stage 2 COPD and problems with my knees and back ( waiting for a bone scan) but I do need to try something.
    I'm early 70's

Yes absolutely - me too!!! I'm in my late 60s and walk quite a bit, though not as much as you. I had thought walking would keep my leg muscles strong so it was only when, to my horror, I needed to use my hands to lift my leg over a stile that I realised this isn't the case and I needed to do something more. The something more that I found helped tremendously was this (hope this works, it's a long link!): https://www.bath.ac.uk/publications/exercise-snacking-instructions/attachments/Exercise-Snacking_Instructions.pdf

I set an alarm to do the sheet 3 times a day and it's made such a difference. (I use the same alarm to remind me to do pelvic floor exercises too!) Takes hardly any time at all and you can do it as fast or slow as you like - or miss out some of the exercises if they're too much for your knees at first. I try and beat my previous times if I can. I first saw the method on 'Trust me' and it worked really well for the people involved in the trial. (There's a youtube vid I think)

Can't recommend this highly enough! Good luck, would be really interested to know how you get on and if you find any other good exercises.

DS
  • harrys_nan
    harrys_nan Posts: 1,777 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    downshifter thanks for that, I will give it ago. Nothing to lose and plenty to gain.
    Treat other's how you like to be treated.

Harry born 23/09/2008
    New baby grandson, Louie born 28/06/2012,
    Proud nanny to two beautiful boys :j
    And now I have the joy of having my foster granddaughter becoming my real granddaughter. Can't ask for anything better

UPDATE,
    As of today 180919. my granddaughter is now my official granddaughter, adoption finally granted
  • trailingspouse
    Options
    Come over and join us on the 'Older and fitter' thread!! There's something for everyone, and it's never too late to start making exercise part of you life. The important thing is to start!!
    No longer a spouse, or trailing, but MSE won't allow me to change my username...
  • Sibz
    Sibz Posts: 389 Forumite
    Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Is there a local council gym near you? There are usually exercise classes tailored to those with CoPD and other conditions. GPs can often refer to them and then you will have people with the proper qualifications and knowledge you can ask and get specific advice from.
  • Tammer
    Tammer Posts: 402 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi,
    It's great that you're aware of this and wanting to do something about it.

If you want to strengthen your legs, try sitting on the couch then standing up 10 times. Your thighs will thank you!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure