PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Offsetting

Options
Firstly let me say I am retired, so have the time to indulge in offsetting, but so do lots of other retirees who complain of being hard up.
As a married couple we live well on less than the published comfortable retired couples income.

There is very little we go without, and we have driven our annual living costs down each year for the past three years in almost every heading.

We also enjoy treats and holidays by offsetting.

That is every saving, even our recent switch of milk from Tesco to Home Bargains has netted us an extra £48.36 a year offset to spend on a little luxury or added to our holiday fund.

Savvy shopping, in fact Savvy living has provided us with a regular long haul holiday, even in business class at offer price, for the last five years.

An important tool is the guarantee drawer. Every item we buy we always, always complete online warranties, or cards, and file the paperwork. Online or registering can give a better warranty than those hard sells addled on to your goods by the retailer. Come the time something goes wrong, straight to the file and check if we are covered. Built in redundancy often means a well used kettle, iron or even washing machine will fail before the warranty expires. Happy Days here comes a new replacement.

If you have the time, try offsetting, it is fun, and becomes a profitable habit.

Comments

• Olliebeak1951
    Options
    Thanks for that tip, Sewnuppockets :money:
  • angela110660
    Options
    Ollie Beak? Weren't you a friend of Wally Whyton? Gosh that takes me back....
  • Sayschezza
    Options
    Have subscribed
    All that clutter used to be money
  • trulymadlyhannah
    Options
    We have a guarantee wallet too, but need to get better at registering warrentys. If we buy from Argos we usually buy replacement insurance too, it's saved us a few times over the last few years!
  • Olliebeak1951
    Options
    Ollie Beak? Weren't you a friend of Wally Whyton? Gosh that takes me back....

:rotfl: - that's where the nickname first came from ;)! My 'first name' is Olga, even though I was always known by my second name (Lilian). When some friends found out about it, I got nicknamed 'Olliebeak' :o;)! Certainly didn't help when I had a boyfriend called 'Fred' in my late teens :rotfl:
  • bexster1975
    Options
    Hello sewnuppockets

I agree, you don't need lots of money to live well. I'm not retired, but have worked hard to cut outgoings and do so every time utilities etc come up for renewal. It has enabled me to become fully self employed, only working the hours I want. I use cashback websites when I switch providers ( just switched BB from BT to Sky) and often shop at charity shops and online for the things I need. On paper currently, I probably don't look like I earn very much as I'm only doing about ten paid hours a week, but as that covers all my costs and more, it has freed up my time to pursue other business and personal goals.

I applaud your lifestyle, and seek to emulate it as time goes on. An excellent thread, I shall follow with interest.

Bexster :)
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    We also enjoy treats and holidays by offsetting.

That is every saving, even our recent switch of milk from Tesco to Home Bargains has netted us an extra £48.36 a year offset to spend on a little luxury or added to our holiday fund.
    There are swings and roundabouts. If you use this money for treats, how do you manage inflationary price rises?
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • PollyWollyDoodle
    Options
    Sorry if I'm being dim, but what is 'offsetting'? I only know the term in relation to mortgages.
    Life is mainly froth and bubble: two things stand like stone. Kindness in another’s trouble, courage in your own.
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,257 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Sorry if I'm being dim, but what is 'offsetting'? I only know the term in relation to mortgages.

Glad I'm not the only one who has no idea what the OP is talking about
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • For those unsure, offsetting is applying your savings to another expenditure, not just frittering it away.
    For example. Our small saving of £48.36 almost paid our roadside recovery for the year at £50, which we had renegotiated down from £110 by using a comparison site. Same provider and better cover.

End result. £100 down to £50 then £48.36 offset from milk and the roadside cover this year cost £1.64. Happy Days 😁

Another gem we have found.
    If you are a M&S shopper, and receive discount vouchers occasionally, use them on sale items and you get a double discount, unlike other retailers who only allow discount on full price items.

It’s a mindset you will get into.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport