Flu vaccine shortage

Options
I have normally heard from my surgery by now to go into have the flu jab. So I contacted them today to be told I would receive a letter shortly to have the jab in November. I expressed surprise at how late that was and was told it was because they are busy and if I wanted it before go to a pharmacy.

I duly enquiries in a couple of local pharmacies and as I need the over 65 vaccine, there is a shortage and they have no stock!

Bearing in mind that the vaccine takes 3 weeks to become effective, it will be well into flu season before I gain any protection. Seems a pretty poor show to me as the number of over 65s needing the jab should be known well in advance.

Is this shortage confined to my area, south east Cheshire or national problem?

Comments

• Ms_Mop_123
    Options
    I've just had mine done at Boots. I'm under 65 but due to health issues I have to have one. I live in Nottinghamshire and when I phoned to book it was told they hadn't got the one for over 65's in. Think they said they would be getting it in in November.
  • pattycake
    pattycake Posts: 1,576 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Ms_Mop_123 wrote: »
    I've just had mine done at Boots. I'm under 65 but due to health issues I have to have one. I live in Nottinghamshire and when I phoned to book it was told they hadn't got the one for over 65's in. Think they said they would be getting it in in November.

Ok sounds like a national shortage then. Apparently the over 65 vaccine is a different composition to the one for younger patients.
  • iammumtoone
    iammumtoone Posts: 6,377 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I've heard that around here they don't have the vaccine for over 65s in stock either.

Seems strange to me that under 65s can get the jab no problem. I would have thought that overall its the over 65s that need it more.
  • pattycake
    Options
    I've heard that around here they don't have the vaccine for over 65s in stock either.

Seems strange to me that under 65s can get the jab no problem. I would have thought that overall its the over 65s that need it more.

Precisely. The health authorities must not have ordered enough stock. My earlier point remains, they know how many over 65s there are!
  • Nick_C
    Nick_C Posts: 7,459 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    I didn't realise the vaccine was different for people over 65. How odd.
  • Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,159 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    All the vaccine must be down here.

I had mine at the Surgery on Saturday - it was like a military operation. Judging by the lists the receptionists had, they were expecting 150 patients that morning, maybe more.
  • Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,302 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The over 65 vaccine is different to the other one this year , they expect the final batch of over 65 vaccine in November

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/health/flu-jab-2018-what-is-the-new-flu-vaccine-in-the-uk-and-who-should-get-it-a3934296.html
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • Saffythecat
    Options
    I’m in Scotland and there are two different jabs available here - one protects against four strains of flu, and one three. My mum was only eligible for the three strains, but her husband who’s a few years older was eligible for four. Both are in their 70s. My mum paid at Boots. My work is offering the four strain jab to all staff. I had it yesterday and my arm is really, really sore today.
  • donnac2558
    donnac2558 Posts: 3,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Northern Ireland no shortage, I get under 65 because of medical problems. I was chatting with the nurse who gave me mind and asked about the over 65 one. She said it contains something extra to help it absorb better into your system as the older you are many times things do not absorb as well as if you are younger.
  • pattycake
    Options
    I’m in Scotland and there are two different jabs available here - one protects against four strains of flu, and one three. My mum was only eligible for the three strains, but her husband who’s a few years older was eligible for four. Both are in their 70s. My mum paid at Boots. My work is offering the four strain jab to all staff. I had it yesterday and my arm is really, really sore today.

Do age 70+ patients have to pay for the flu jab in Scotland?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure