New Build - Reserving Mortgage How Long?

Options
darkcloudi
darkcloudi Posts: 567 Forumite
Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
edited 8 February 2018 at 9:49PM in Mortgages & endowments
I am planning on buying a new build but was wondering which mortgage providers are the best to go for. From what the agent told me the house is not completed till Aug / Sept, so applying for a mortgage now would mean it would expire by the time I got to exchange.

Would I be best to wait till April to apply for a mortgage?

I am in the process of putting 120,000 from sale of my current home, applying for Help to Buy to assist with the new purchase.

To note, my current mortgage is on a fixed rate with Nationwide currently on 3% penalty and will be 2% penalty from July. Was tempted to stay with Nationwide due to this as its portable else they will be a penalty. Current balance is £38,000

A broker I spoke to suggested to go for Satander as they are good and flexible to extend the date, I was planning to speak to Nationwide in the morning on how flexible they were on new builds just in case delays in the build. I want to go for either a 5 year fixed or 10 year fixed.

I bank with First Direct and seen the rates they offer are better.

Thanks for any responses

Comments

• Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    darkcloudi wrote: »
    so applying for a mortgage now would mean it would expire by the time I got to exchange.

You mean completion. The developer will expect to to exchange contracts within a short period of time. Meaning that you are committed to the purchase. Potentially without having a mortgage in place.

There's no timetable to new housebuilding. The dates you've been provided with are just an estimation. Be prepared for them to slip.
  • darkcloudi
    Options
    Thanks, yes I meant completion. I had feeling the date would slip as have heard from people it slipped by a month or two for them, hence I want to delay getting a mortgage closer to the time but not sure how well that would work.

Worst case scenario I have to re-apply for a mortgage closer to the time, if the delays occur. Financially I am in a good position so no problems in getting a mortgage and happy to complete but more concerned on losing the mortgage rate that I would have got during the original application (especially if rates go up)

Just checked First Direct's website and they don't do Help to Buy :(
  • crystalpinks
    Options
    I've recently got my mortgage offer from Halifax for a new build (estimated completion May) and offer expires December 18
  • darkcloudi
    Options
    Thanks, thats put my mind to rest, didn’t realise you can reserve for that long.
  • crystalpinks
    Options
    We reserved just before Christmas for May 18 completion, they wanted a 28day exchange but we won't exchange til mid Feb (which they are fine about as long as they know things are moving).
    My solicitor was initially cautious about exchanging too soon, but as offer doesn't expire til December we have a nice bit of wiggle room if there is any build delays !
  • pl187
    pl187 Posts: 13 Forumite
    edited 9 February 2018 at 1:29PM
    Options
    Some lenders will offer an offer extension on a case by case basis on new builds, like you said worst case scenario would be re-apply and potentially get a higher rate than the original offer.

You mention you will be using help to buy but own a property already, isnt the eligibility that you must be a first chime buyer?
  • kingstreet
    kingstreet Posts: 38,770 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    pl187 wrote: »
    Some lenders will offer an offer extension on a case by case basis on new builds, like you said worst case scenario would be re-apply and potentially get a higher rate than the original offer.

You mention you will be using help to buy but own a property already, isnt the eligibility that you must be a first chime buyer?
    No. That any owned property be disposed of on or before completion of the new purchase.
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure