Options
1235»

Comments

• rtho782
    rtho782 Posts: 1,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    aj23 wrote: »
    Actually by you losing your card, you're liable to the 30% increase in monetary value from 2015 to 2016 in lost card fraud, going up every year since 2011, and a 51% increase in cases reported. There's also a 10% increase in card fraud from cards which haven't been stolen or lost, i.e. remote transactions. Card fraud has jumped due to contactless and how the technology can be remotely taken at the point or purchase and used to purchase high end products.

Internet/online and telephone purchasing fraud is also up 9% in terms of monetary value and 20% in cases reported. Card non-receipt fraud is the highest since 2012 and up 7%. Card fraud caused 17% increase in retailer losses in 2017 as well. e-Commerce fraud is also up 18%. Online banking and phone banking fraud is the second highest year on record since 2010.

Cheque fraud for example is down 30%, the lowest on record. I've got my stats from Experian, the ONS and Financial Fraud Action. They don't factor cash fraud in, because you mostly don't know how much as there's a lot of undeclared cash.

Cash transactions (using notes and coins) has fallen to just under 50%, with all other payment methods combined account for just over 50%. Fraud on cards and remote purchases accounts for 98% while cheques are 2%.

You're framing this in terms of fraud, but if we widen out to crime in general, cash is still king.

You've wildly misinterpreted what I said about jobs. Use technology where it helps and is required, but technology shouldn't be destroying jobs like how they are. If everything is done by robots, what is the point of us. Technology has massively helped in car production for example. But in other sectors in is harming people. Look at Toys R Us, New Look, etc., people buy online (pension deficits also don't help) which has directly lead to the closure of stores.

This is nothing to do with contactless or payment methods. Cashiers in Asda take contactless just as well as the self scan terminals. Contactless does not take jobs.
    The sentence does make sense if you read it properly. Why you'd want to just keep tapping a piece of plastic to buy things and lose tracks of what you spend is beyond me.

Personally I keep much better track of my contactless spending via google pay and my bank account than I do with cash, so I guess this is subjective.
  • Murphybear
    Murphybear Posts: 7,279 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Judging by the queues at supermarket ATMs I don’t think we are ready for cash free society quite yet.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    aj23 wrote: »
    .... I have my hair cut twice a month, and it's £18 a time. £36 a month. ....

How much? :eek:
    Being a baldy and doing it yourself has one advantage at least then! ;)
  • ValiantSon
    ValiantSon Posts: 2,586 Forumite
    Options
    Sleazy wrote: »
    How much? :eek:
    Being a baldy and doing it yourself has one advantage at least then! ;)

Twice a month is rather extreme, given that human hair grows on average at a rate of a quarter of an inch in two weeks. If aj23 wishes to [STRIKE]waste[/STRIKE] spend his money in this way then he is, of course, entitled to do so.
  • Gem-gem
    Gem-gem Posts: 4,401 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Hubby uses cash all the time (says if we go cashless the govt. could introduce negative interest rates).
    I use card for big store shopping (John Lewis) and cash for market stall, fish and chip shop and cs shopping. I pay the hairdresser by bank transfer.
    Save 12K in 2026 no 16
    Fashion on a ration 0/66 coupons
  • jojorose
    jojorose Posts: 51 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Really interesting read. So I went off and researched Monza and Curve cards none of which I'd heard of before. My conclusion: complicating my day. We live in the sticks, we took early retirement and draw a weekly budget from our nearest supermarket cash point. We don't have a local bank. We have to buy online. We have to trade in cash. I am concerned about the rise in online fraud. I don't like having my financial spending tracked, I don't like my location being tracked, I don't like serve yourself. Long live cash.
    For some people enough will never be reached.
  • NBLondon
    NBLondon Posts: 5,532 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Fascinating - including the revival of History Today.

I use cash and contactless in equal amounts I guess. In London, I could quite easily go two or three weeks without needing to use cash but I have had the experience of being in rural areas where contactless is not so universal so I will always have £10 - £20 on me.

I don't see the need to receive a text telling me how much I'm spending - I know because I've just spent it! Is this aimed at people who buy expensive coffees multiple times a day and then get puzzled at why they can't save up for a deposit on a flat? I can see the point of setting it at transactions over a certain amount - so I'd be warned if my card got compromised and used fraudulently. Mind you, I don't live my life on my phone as many people seem to...
    Wash your Knobs and Knockers... Keep the Postie safe!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure