DMP Advice Please

Options
We are a couple in our early 50’s, rent our home and have just one asset of any value (car worth about £8,000 which OH uses for work – commutes 50+ miles per day). We have just over £80,000 of unsecured debt, a mixture of credit cards, overdrafts and a loan (due to a mixture of a period of unemployment and general lack of budgeting properly). Although we are up to date with all payments (we both work now), we are only paying the minimum cc payments, are paying nothing off the overdrafts and have been using credit for food/petrol and other essentials. We will run out of credit eventually, though not for a fair few months, and we want to address this huge amount of debt before we get to that point.

Things we/I have done so far:
Lots of reading and research on here.
Talk to each other about it (that one has taken a lot of effort on my part but my persistence is now paying off).
Sold lots of stuff (this is ongoing – we will empty that loft/shed!).
I have sorted out all our paperwork (something we have not been good at in the past) and set up a spreadsheet which shows all our income and expenditure over the last 18 months.
I have set up a new spending diary which we update every day then once a week I transfer the details over to the spreadsheet. I have just begun to do more detailed tracking. For example, rather than putting the whole supermarket spend into “Groceries” I go through the receipt with a highlighter pen and split out things like “Beer and wine” into a separate category.
Whatever option we decide on we know that we need to address our spending habits and that is the reason for the spreadsheet/new tracking system. I think we have pretty much got this sorted (we are in the energy saving club, I shop at Aldi and cook from scratch, etc) except for the beer and wine spend – hence the need for that category. I need to be able to put that figure under my husband’s nose. We have done much better so far this month, in spite of an unplanned visit to the vet.
I have done the Step Change Debt Solutions tool, set up a budget with them and had a conversation with them about our options. They have recommended an IVA, DMP or Bankruptcy. Currently we are paying just over 1250 pcm into the loan and cards and Step Change reckon we should be paying approximately 850 pcm into a DMP.

All things considered, we want to give the DMP option a go - probably self-managed because one of the loans is for the car and we would prefer to keep paying that if possible. I am conscious that we need to do things in the right order and this is what I think we need to do next:
1. Set up a new joint bank account that is not related to any of our creditors and transfer all essential DD’s to that account (rent, council tax, fuel etc).
2. Write to all our creditors and explain the situation and ask for 30 days to sort things out.
3. Delay the start of the DMP until we have a small emergency fund built up.
4. Write to our creditors and offer new monthly payments.
5. Set up said new monthly payments.
Have I got those in the right order? Will setting up a new account and having our wages payed in to that ring alarm bells with our existing bank (I want to make sure our wages are actually paid into the new account before I send any letters)?

The car loan is relatively new. Both our old banger cars failed earlier this year. We got my old banger going again and it suits me fine. Husband does a lot of mileage and is more in need of a reliable vehicle and he got a good loan deal on the car (4.5%). I’m not 100% sure if it is a secured loan – the cars details are listed on the paperwork but there is no mention in the small print of reclaiming goods if payments are missed. Would it be OK to carry on paying this loan while putting all other creditors in a DMP?

I’m also interested in trying out the CCA request thing to see if some of the cc debt is unenforceable (the two biggest credit cards are in my name and I have had those accounts for more than 10 years – M&S and Barclaycard). At what point could/should I do that?

Thank you for reading. Any advice will be much appreciated.

Comments

• January2015
    January2015 Posts: 2,369 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Is the car on finance or just a personal loan? If it's a loan just put it in the DMP - creditors won't be too happy if they see another creditor not being paid reduced payments so it's better to put them all in the pot if you can.

Have you done a check on PPI? If you haven't then do that through the Resolver link. It's free to do and very easy. You may think you never took out PPI but sometimes lenders added it without informing customers.... always worth checking.

Send CCA requests now. Don't wait, you are entitled to request this information at any point whilst there is a balance owing. When you get the documentation back come back and seek advice because to be honest most of us wouldn't know what unenforceable looks like (and I've had one unenforceable lot of documents back that I would have sworn were all fine).

As soon as you have set up the new bank account and payments from that account, write to all your creditors and advise you are seeking support for your financial problems and request they freeze interest and charges with immediate effect. Also request all communication is done in writing and state you do not give them permission to telephone you. That should give you breathing space of 30 days to come back on here and get the next steps.
    DFW Nerd No. 1484 LBM 07/01/15 Debt was £95k :eek: Now debt free and happy :j
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,929 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Hi,
    £80,000 a massive amount of debt, are you sure it can be cleared by a DMP in a reasonable time frame ?

You have not posted your income so we can only guess if this is the right strategy for you.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • W&R
    W&R Posts: 14 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for your replies.

I have been looking into a PPI claim but thought my post was quite long enough without adding that into the mix. We moved into our rented property from a mortgaged one 12 years ago (supposed to be a fresh start but then OH lost his job and things didn't quite go the way we had been hoping) and I shredded everything to do with old mortgages (we swapped every two years), loans, credit cards and store cards. I can remember some of the companies we did business with (not many we didn't use over the years) but no details/dates. It is on my to do list but I am not confident of success there.

Our wages are just under £60,000 (added together) and we take home around £3,850pcm. We also have two young adult sons living at home and they contribute £600 pcm (one is doing an apprenticeship and is paying off his own debts so pays a token gesture, the other is supposed to be saving to move out). I also give a colleague a lift to work and get £50pcm from her.

I could post an SOA based on the budget we have worked out with Step Change if that would help? Step Change gave an IVA as their first recommendation but I just feel like we should give the DMP a go at least and we would really like to keep the car - it is a personal loan (but seems odd that the details are listed on the loan agreement). They reckon we could be debt free in 8 years IF all creditors stop interest and we are hoping that we might be able to make some F&F offers along the way at some point.
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,929 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Going on that information alone it sounds like a good plan to me.

I would avoid the IVA for now, in reality it may last as long as your DMP would (they are not restricted to 60 months in all cases) certainly send the CCA requests, if nothing else it can be a stalling tactic.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • W&R
    W&R Posts: 14 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you - just needed some reassurance that we are on the right sort of path.
    Next steps are send off CCA letters and open that new bank account then.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure