questions on rights when sickness levels are over triggers in public sector

I need to know what I should do I have had a lot of sick abesences and I have passed the first trigger have had ohs stuff and now I am on half pay I would like to know if I can be dismissed and if so does that mean my pension is lost too. Have worked for 12 years went part time 6 years ago, I am diabetic and hypertensive and have been having acid reflux issues for a while recently my nerves have been playing up . I would appreciate your advice , is asking to retire on medical grounds the next step , the new sickness rules are not sympathetic . Thanks

Habakkuk1

Comments

• 00ec25
    00ec25 Posts: 9,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    the "rules" depend on who you work for, there is not one set of sick rules covering the entire public sector, we can't see your specific rules so how can we help you?

if you don't undertsnad the rules yourself then you should consider joining the relevant union for your workplace and getting them to help you
  • CAB_National_Representative
    CAB_National_Representative Posts: 220 Organisation Representative
    Habakkuk1 wrote: »
    I need to know what I should do I have had a lot of sick abesences and I have passed the first trigger have had ohs stuff and now I am on half pay I would like to know if I can be dismissed and if so does that mean my pension is lost too. Have worked for 12 years went part time 6 years ago, I am diabetic and hypertensive and have been having acid reflux issues for a while recently my nerves have been playing up . I would appreciate your advice , is asking to retire on medical grounds the next step , the new sickness rules are not sympathetic . Thanks

Habakkuk1

Hi Habakkuk - we'd urge you to contact your local bureau as soon as possible and arrange to talk with adviser, either on the telephone or in person. They will quite probably need to see details of the terms & conditions of your contract, so it would be useful to have that to hand when you call or visit.
    Official CAB Representative
    I am an official representative of CAB. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to questions on the CAB Board. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. If you believe I’ve broken any rules please report my post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com as usual"
  • Wywth
    Wywth Posts: 5,079 Forumite
    00ec25 wrote: »
    ...if you don't undertsnad the rules yourself then you should consider joining the relevant union for your workplace and getting them to help you

In my experience, if the OP cannot obtain the information from their own HR department, then an on-site union representative will probably explain the rules even if the OP is not a member :)

The union will probably only request the OP joins their union if the OP wishes the union to assist in enforcing the OP's rights (whatever they may be) :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure