How can my bank pay a DD without my permission?

Options
2»

Comments

• nyermen
    nyermen Posts: 1,093 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Chalkius is right - there has to be a "mandate" in place (basically, permission). Otherwise the collection request would be refused by BACS. However, they can be set up automatically by a company without needing a written form/signature. As Jeremy Clarkson found out when he printed his account details claiming they were useless (and someone set up a charity DD on his behalf).
    it can suddenly activate after a long period of time
    Note that after 13 months of inactivity, they become known as "dormant" and permission (or a new mandate) must be sought before claiming - see this link:
    https://www.directdebit.co.uk/DirectDebitExplained/FAQs/pages/inactivedirectdebits.aspx
    Peter

Debt free - finally finished paying off £20k + Interest.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    nyermen wrote: »
    Chalkius is right - there has to be a "mandate" in place (basically, permission). Otherwise the collection request would be refused by BACS. However, they can be set up automatically by a company without needing a written form/signature.
    I suspect the mandate has been there all along and that this is satellite equipment insurance that the Op simply failed to cancel when they dispensed with Sky.

The Op doesn't appear to be in any hurry to update either of the two threads on the subject.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure